Memorization

Thanks for that, I have bookmarked it so I don't forget.

Yes I obviously have trouble with memorization :rolleyes:

Interesting article. I'm not sure that I understood it all that well. When I'm home alone, and I'm in the mood, I will plug into the amp, stand up in the living room, and start playing, singing, and even talking, I mean, I have this make believe audience out there, and I'm giving them their money's worth. I've noticed that if I'm working on some songs, and I don't quite have them down, those sessions really go a long way to solidify them. I don't know where that fits in the article.

Thanks for sharing. I think we all do serial chaining because that is how music is written and how great players recommend you learn a piece. iMHO. The next part comes with really knowing the song,and during practise, deliberately starting and stopping in difference areas of the song. Now the explanation and labels of this advanced technique are worth of consideration and trying to work this consciously into what we learn. Easier said than done but now that I am aware of it......I will try it.

I've never been able to memorize even just the words to a whole song. That's probably why I'm amazed at performers who stand up and sing song after song. The leader of our group said at one time, he knew like, 400 songs!

Thanks for sharing this link. I need to do something to improve my memory.

An interesting topic. Most pro musicians don't use charts. Maybe the Jazz guys when they're doing a band-wide arrangement. I can't remember a single time at, say, a bluegrass show, when anyone in the group had a music stand. Most of these folks hear it once or twice, play it through, and, BAM, it's in RAM!

I've gotten old, and the decline in memory has been gradual and hard to notice. But facing reality, I've found a few tricks. The piano is fantastic for muscle memory. The broad motions of the arms and the pretty little finger dances are great for that.

On the Ukulele I call on the emotional punch of chord changes. Being fairly new to high-quality Ukuleles, I'm surprised at how fat and satisfying a good chord change can be. I think that's why I find the tin-pan-alley sorts of songs sound so good on the uke. They're full of harmony surprises. Wrapping my brain in those rich, beautiful chord changes seems to help with memory quite a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks. But when you get to be my age three things go. The first is my memory, and...and... and...I forgot the other two. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

An interesting topic. Most pro musicians don't use charts. Maybe the Jazz guys when they're doing a band-wide arrangement. I can't remember a single time at, say, a bluegrass show, when anyone in the group had a music stand. Most of these folks hear it once or twice, play it through, and, BAM, it's in RAM!

I've gotten old, and the decline in memory has been gradual and hard to notice. But facing reality, I've found a few tricks. The piano is fantastic for muscle memory. The broad motions of the arms and the pretty little finger dances are great for that.

On the Ukulele I call on the emotional punch of chord changes. Being fairly new to high-quality Ukuleles, I'm surprised at how fat and satisfying a good chord change can be. I think that's why I find the tin-pan-alley sorts of songs sound so good on the uke. They're full of harmony surprises. Wrapping my brain in those rich, beautiful chord changes seems to help with memory quite a bit.

I noted the same thing with the chord changes. Thanks for quantifying it for me.

Top Bottom