PDA

View Full Version : douglas fir soundboards

chuck in ny
03-20-2016, 06:34 PM
anyone with experience either building or playing, please explain the characteristics.

Gary Gill
03-21-2016, 12:36 AM
I have used Douglas fir as sound board material for about 30 of my ukuleles. The material originated as "backing boards" from a local veneer manufacturer. These boards are often 9/16" or 5/8" thick. I resaw them myself. I found the Douglas fir to be slight harder than the spruce I have used. I like it.

Michael N.
03-21-2016, 02:04 AM
For guitars it's considered a bit heavy although I'm sure there is the odd piece that might be light enough. Given that Ukes use a lot of medium density hardwoods for the soundboard I doubt that it's a problem. Use it.

lakesideglenn
03-21-2016, 02:58 AM
Peter Hurney has used it on several of his Pohaku Ukuleles

FarmerBill
03-21-2016, 03:29 AM
I use it and like it a lot.

chuck in ny
03-21-2016, 02:55 PM
thanks for the replies. i'm sure doug fir is pretty good to the purpose but decided to go with port orford cedar. i have this huge attraction to fir from my carpentry days, but the physical properties and exotic nature of POC sway the argument. this is for a finger picker dude. i'm using native salvaged wood for my builds and will have to break down and, gasp, purchase some sound boards.

little timber
03-22-2016, 08:08 AM
for what its worth, I play fingerstyle mostly and the best sounding baritone I have ever built (to my ears at least) had an x-braced doug fir soundboard