Bamboo Martins!

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Says it is high pressure laminate like the OXK. I love my OXK for what it is. I don't have to worry about it when I travel. Just throw it in a bag and go. I just wish that they would forget the fake wood grains. I like the fun colors though!

bamboo laminate.. is probably all bamboo. Bamboo is not a solid wood, it's a grass/reed.
Canes grow in round tubes that are cut into roughly flat strips, and then glued together to make a more wood like thing.
So, you can't make a "solid" bamboo anything because it doesn't grow solid.

I think.. Baz did a review of a bamboo uke that was favorable.

I like the fact that it's made from bamboo which is considered a renewable resource, and that it's a 'Martin' but if the street price is not less than half of 'list price' of $499 USD, this might simply be priced way beyond my budget or interest...

Having said that- thanks to Petey for sharing the link and the info...:)

I'm with you Booli. That's way too steep for what you're getting unless somehow the sound is magical.

As I understand it, this is not bamboo at all, but rather a "laminate" textured to look like bamboo. That is how I interpret "crafted from a green bamboo patterned high-pressure laminate (HPL)," from the Martin site. A "high pressure laminate" is layered, resin-coated paper.

Here is a short article discussing the difference between veneers, laminates and composites, all of which have been used in making ukuleles.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/difference-between-wood-composite-veneer-laminate-100725.html

Last edited:
It's a bamboo print indeed. They call it 'green bamboo'.. not too fond of the looks of this one. It looks tacky for a Martin; even for an OXK .

Given that the Moselele Bambookulele costs roughly one fifth of that list price, the Martin will have to be phenomenally good to justify what they're asking.

This is one ukulele that I really don't understand. I bought a Paulele bamboo soprano from Mim two years ago that I like very much. But a bamboo-print 0XK?? Maybe I'm just not enough of an HPL fan.

Not to be over the top but at the price, I don't get it and it has to be the most unappealing uke I've ever seen.

A good point, Bill1. To me the key issue is that Martin are, from this product listing, doing a fairly poor job of explaining what the uke is about. Making it look like bamboo without being bamboo inevitably brings novelty or low-grade ukes to mind, with the result that many of us are baffled and somewhat dubious. A reputation for quality can easily be squandered, so Martin ought perhaps to consider the message they're trying to convey.

Also it says the neck is birch laminate. I wonder if that means it's lighter, less neck heavy, than the 0XK?

The regular veneer looks kinda cool. The red and blue, not for me, but I see its appeal. It's nice to see them introducing a new model.

Hmmm. this makes me wonder. Perhaps this might be why the Koa pattern OXK suddenly dropped in price around the first of the year.

It was nearly always priced around $269/$289. I got mine from Musicians Friend in 2014 reduced from the MSRP price of $449. At that time it was their price $289 and they allowed a 15% off coupon. I thought I scored until this year. For about six weeks you could get it for $189-$199. It seems to be back up in price again - Amazon has it this morning for $269. But, I wonder if it is going to be phased out for this version.

The body seems to be exactly the same - "bamboo" print instead of 'koa" print. Maybe they think the colors would make it more Ohana SK10/ Makala Dolphinish to appeal to a different crowd?

Birch laminate neck instead of Stratabond. (I liked the durability of the Stratabond and use strap buttons so the weight was not an issue.) Fingerboard is Rosewood instead of Morado.

Since the current Koa version is MSRP 449 as is the Bamboo version, I figure this one will be available in the $269/289 range. I think it is a great deal in the $200 price range- good camping uke, good office uke. At the $289 price range, it is an alternative to the wooden fretboard upgraded Fleas/Flukes.

I also just noticed it is OX. Wonder why not OXB?

Last edited:
are you guys sure it's a ply?
Laminate means pieces are glued together.
Technically anything made book matched is laminated, even if it's a "solid top"

HPL bamboo.. is more like wood than ply.
They use it for cutting boards, flooring, bar/table tops, etc.

61-GTI0dVkS._SX425_.jpg

As I understand it, this is not bamboo at all, but rather a "laminate" textured to look like bamboo. That is how I interpret "crafted from a green bamboo patterned high-pressure laminate (HPL)," from the Martin site. A "high pressure laminate" is layered, resin-coated paper.

Here is a short article discussing the difference between veneers, laminates and composites, all of which have been used in making ukuleles.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/difference-between-wood-composite-veneer-laminate-100725.html

Thanks for this article.
I think that's way too much money for a laminate uke, even a Martin. I don't know if I'd pay that much for a "real" bamboo uke, probably not.
It's true that bamboo isn't wood, it's a grass. (I'm an Agronomist, so I know)
I played a real bamboo uke once, it sounded great, but it wasn't any $449.00. It was about half that.

The thing that annoys me is when they use this "High Pressure Laminate" on their guitars, it seems to be for the sides and backs only.
The top is solid as a general rule of thumb.

If Martin really wanted to offer a durable travel ukulele that will resist all sorts of weather, why didn't they take a look at the attributes of Blackbird's Clara. I'm not saying to copy the design or materials, but maybe look into using synthetic materials throughout the entire ukulele. Because Martin is using natural wood (spruce?) bracing, rosewood fretboard and bridge I don't think you can literally get it wet to any degree.

I'm sure it is a good sounding ukulele, and it will take more of a beating than a solid uke, but I'm not sure there is that much of difference between this laminate and any other good quality laminate. Since Martin is pursuing the use of HPL, I am disappointed that they didn't go further with it than just a change in appearance. After all the ukulele is the ultimate travel size instrument.

John

If Martin really wanted to offer a durable travel ukulele that will resist all sorts of weather, why didn't they take a look at the attributes of Blackbird's Clara.

Does martin have anything not made of wood?

Going to a mold type fabrication, especially for volume, is not a small thing. If you do that thing already, it's one thing. To start doing it from scratch is altogether a different thing.

Does martin have anything not made of wood?

Going to a mold type fabrication, especially for volume, is not a small thing. If you do that thing already, it's one thing. To start doing it from scratch is altogether a different thing.

Agreed. The Clara is a tremendous engineering achievement.

But Martin could have incorporated more synthetic materials throughout.

John

Top Bottom