Made in China (does it matter to you?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kissing

Reaction score
Hello y'all again :shaka:

My friend and I were looking at some Kala ukuleles to buy since they appear to have a good reputation for our budget range ($250~$280 US). But we recently learned that they are made in China :eek:

This doesn't bother me much (a lot of things are made in China these days :rolleyes: ) but my friend is rather concerned about it. So I am seeking to get some insight about "Made in China" and Ukuleles.

Does a ukulele (such as some Kala ones) being made in China mean it's not good?
Are many ukuleles on the market (including good ones) made in China?
Are ukuleles made in other countries much better (but at what price range?).

I want to be enlighted about Ukulele quality and being from China.

Thanks! :cool:

Last edited:
Others can give you more detailed information to your questions, but I know a lot of ukes are made in China. For me, all else being equal, I have no problem with a ukulele made in China.

"Made in China" doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad uke. China's a huge country with lots of factories! Some of them churn out toy ukes and unplayable souvenirs, while others make good-quality instruments. Some factories make instruments for more than one company.

Kala/Makala, Ohana, Bushman, and Mainland (I think) are made in China, but they have a good reputation for quality and customer service (they're owned by Americans). Any of these are a safe bet if you're looking for something affordable that sounds good. I'd keep my distance from other Chinese-made ukes without doing research first.

Vietnam is the source of some of those shiny, heavily-inlayed ukes on eBay that have a terrible reputation for cracking and falling apart quickly. But Honu ukes are also made in Vietnam, and I've heard nothing but great things about them (materials are from Hawai'i, assembled in Vietnam, and set up in Hawai'i before sale).

So it doesn't seem like country of origin is the best way to judge a uke. American-made instruments (or European/Australian/Japanese) are usually your safest bet for quality, but if you can't handle the price premium, there are some imports that are almost as good for a lot less. :D

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the in-depth information :D
This really put me (and my friend) at ease :)

If it wasn't for Chinese made ukuleles like KALA, OHANA, LANIKAI, allot of ukulele players could not afford to get started playing. As stated these are US companies with their own high quality standards so I wouldn't worry about it. Some people I know have issues about the politics of the countries of origin like Communist China, Communist Vietman, Indonesia (largest Muslim country in the world) but to me their large sales to the US only educates them that capitalism does work even for them which can and has lead to changes in these nations.
I own a made in China Mahalo pineapple that kept me playing when times were hard, and Philippines made MELE pineapple when I wanted a real Koa wood pineapple ukulele but could not afford a made in USA Kamaka or Koaloha, I'm happy with no regrets.

I had a Masterbilt guitar... DR500mens (big dreadnaught). It is sold as an "Epiphone Masterbilt" guitar. Gibson owns the assembly line. It's Gibson QC, Gibson management, and a Gibson master luthier in charge of the operations there - using less expensive Chinese labor. The quality beats Gibson's USA Bozeman, Montana factory and that git costs $699 rather than the $3000 price tag of the USA Gibson big dreadnaughts.

The Masterbilt was solid spruce top, solid mahogany neck, back, sides, with LR Baggs electronics in it. Beautiful guitar... I sold it recently to one of my best friends. He loves it.

My Chinese ukuleles are all great sounding ukes. All the Ohanas have excellent overall quality. I have one Indonesian Oscar Schmidt. The quality is very good, but it is laminated and doesn't sound nearly as nice due to the materials.

Buy from a good dealer with a return policy if there is a problem and you should be good to go. Chinese-made ukuleles make for affordable alternatives to the high-priced Hawaiian makers and custom American luthiers.

However it might matter to her that I am made in Germany... ;)
It must be your immaculate build and fantastic post-purchase service. Not to mention your Punktlichkeit. My wife loves that I smell of milk and cheese...

But seriously, come on. Check everything you have at home and throw out what is made in China. How is that for a great spring cleanup?
Personally, I am concerned about labor conditions and would pay to get a product that is produced under fair trade or what have you. I wonder how the Chinese-made ukes stand on that front.

*looks at sneakers* :uhoh:

Then again, never mind...

Doesn't matter a bit to me. We're all one world and I'll buy from whoever makes good stuff that I can afford, so long as there are no ethical issues with things like fair trade and workers' conditions.

I have had good Chinese mandolins and ukes. Also, photos I have seen of the Eastman guitar and mandolin facility show a clean, modern environment where workers look comfortable in their work.

This is SO not the time to think along narrow, protectionist lines of trade.

Asia is fine by me, same as anywhere else. :shaka:

A little history... and a screed.

After WWII, many European and American companies sourced goods made in Japan because labour was cheaper. Japanese goods had a terrible reputation as 'cheap' initially. Then came the turnaround and 'made in Japan' meant quality. It also meant rising costs.

So the companies went to Korea where labour was cheaper than Japan. The story repeats itself. Korean products developed a good reputation, and the prices rose. Korea learned a lot from the Japanese experience and made the turnaround faster.

Now it's China's turn in the barrel. From a maker of cheap, low-quality goods not very long ago, they are slowly emerging (in some fields) as the maker of respectable products (for a good inside view of some Chinese factories, watch Edward Burtynsky's syuperb documentary, Manufactured Landscapes).

When American guitar makers turned to Japan, Japanese instruments weren't very collectible. When those makers went to Korea, Japanese instruments gained in collectibility and value. Now they are in China and Korean instruments are gaining respectability.

You have to wonder where the West will turn when China becomes as expensive to produce goods in as its former economic partners. Africa? And wil Chinese goods then gain perceived value when that happens? Probably some will.

China is different, however, than its predecessors. It is a Communist regime, and despite significant post-Mao reforms (mostly thanks to Deng Xiaoping), still a military dictatorship, slow to respond. The top-heavy hierarchy makes it more difficult and slower to change its market practices as it would in a more competitive society.

Chinese quality control is often sporadic - ukuleles may be well made, but who can forget the deaths of thousands of children from tainted milk? Or the tainted toothpaste scandal? Or the tainted food exports? Or the numerous recalls of toys and other products for safety or other hazards?

The issue of China's brutal treatment of Tibet continues to cloud relationships with China for many nations. For many Western consumers, Chinese human rights - especially with regard to Tibet - is a serious moral and ethical issue that affects their buying habits.

That being said, what are your choices? As a consumer, how far can you elect not to purchase goods made in China as a moral protest? In many situations you don't know the source because label laws don't tell you where all the components are from. China makes most of the world's Vitamin C. Can you tell that from the label on your daily vits?

Besides, in many cases there are no viable alternatives, or at least no economically feasible alternatives. As long as we look for prices as the prime factor in buying decisions, there are few alternatives.

The problem with all of this is not so much who is making a product, but more who isn't. Whether it's made in Japan, Korean, China or Vietnam, it's not being made in the USA, Canada, Germany, the UK or some other Western nation and that means jobs. That's not China's fault - it's our own. We're the consumers. We chose to make Wal-Mart the biggest company in the world. We chose to buy the lowest priced knock-offs that resulted in local factories closing and an accelertaing shift to overseas production. China just supplied the goods - we did the rest.

So, yes, there are elements of Chinese production and quality control that bother me. But like most of us here, my options are limited and my income more so. Not buying Chinese-made ukuleles will perhaps give me a self-righteous sense of satisfaction, but it won't make a whit of difference to the Chinese economy. Nor will it help the Tibetans or improve human rights. I choose not to shop in Wal Mart, but end up buying the same goods in other big-box stores.

And in the end I'd probably not have gotten started on the uke without Chinese instruments. I would not have risked $1,000 or more for an American-made first instrument to see if I liked it. But I was willing to risk $250 for a Chinese-made Kala and that led me down this delightful path. Now I aspire for that $1,000+ uke (but probably still need to win a lottery to get it!).

In the end I suppose I am just another budget-conscious consumer.

So when I play my Chinese-made ukes, I content myself in remembering that China also gave us Lao Tzu, Li Bo, Han Fei Tzu, Sun Tzu, Wang Wei, Mencius, Confucius, Chuang Tzu, Han Shan and many other philosophers and poets. Perhaps there's a little of their spirit in the small instrument I hold, not just that of the mega-state.

I wouldn't let the fact that it is made in China dissuade you at all. Tons of quality products (including those ukes) are made there. The only reason I ended up selling my Kala is that I wanted a Hawaiian made ukulele. Not for quality reasons, just for emotional ones (my family traveled there all the time, and my grandmother is laid to rest there). But the Chinese Kalas are perfectly fine, tell your friend not to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom