kala ukulele

Hello guys, i have 300 euros for ukulele and i decided to buy this one http://www.ukes.com/ka-kcge-c-kala-koa-concert-cutaway-ukulele-with-eq.html what do you guys think its ok for first uke? If not say why and offer something else please the uke will be used as acoustic not electric and with acoustic amp.

This is more a question of where you are buying it from. Do they do a basic set up on it for you? As far as making sure the nut and saddle are at the right height and the frets are level, etc? I bought my first one (a Makala, Kala's junior brand) and everything goes very sharp as soon as I put a finger on a fret. That could have been avoided by buying one from someone who sets it up. I just received my new uke from Mim yesterday, and it plays like a dream compared to the Makala.

When my wife and I bought our first ukuleles four years ago, we chose Kala acacia baritones. We have not been disappointed for any reasons. They are well made and fairly priced. Even though we have since bought more expensive ukes, we still play our Kalas frequently. I think kalas are one of the best values out there.

Have you bought the instrument yet?

Following on from my answer in your amplifier thread. If this instrument is for home practice you don't need the pickup. Save the money and buy one without a pickup. You only want pickups and amplifiers if you intend to perform in public.

Other than that Kala's are fine for the price.

Anthony

If you're a beginner and don't have much experience with instruments - it is best to buy from a reputable seller that does setups, eg: The Ukulele Site, MIMs ukulele store, Uke Republic.

The ukuleles sometimes aren't in great playing condition even if brand new if not setup. I have enough experience tinkering with instruments to do my own setups, but even then I would rather buy from a seller that does it for me. It's simply better value and I have the peace of mind buying from a seller who understands ukuleles.

The Kala KCGE-C is probably an OK instrument.
If I had your money, I would probably go for a Pono from The Ukulele Site too.
You can pay a little extra to have a professional pickup installed.

If you don't need a pickup, the cedar top kala's are very good, and not just for the money.
For the money they are a steal.

If you do need a pickup.. maybe still the cedar top, and have a pickup installed.

fwiw, I've tried the koa kala... and it was not one I would buy.

Last edited:
Hello Martynas,

Welcome to UU!

I was at a show recently where three women played their ukes and one had a very similar Kala going through an amp. It sounded nice, FWIW. There are loads of Kala owners who love their ukes.

I might consider this KoAlana Concert laminate with a pickup installed.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/koalana-concert-kca-0010.html

From what I've read they sound sweet and are very nicely constructed. At $200, I think it's a steal. It would leave you under budget so you can get extra strings and a case, too...although I guess you'd have to factor in shipping.

Good luck.

Last edited:
there is difference between laminated and not laminated? i just wrote them email about set up. if they dont do it is it possible to do it on your own?

there is difference between laminated and not laminated? i just wrote them email about set up. if they dont do it is it possible to do it on your own?

It is possible, but I'd have someone else do it if possible, as a beginner myself.

Laminate = very thin layers glued together to make a solid
Non laminated = wood

hey, i live in europe so .com sites dont work for me since the shipping and everything is more expensive. i just contacted the shop if they set up ukuleles. whats the difference between laminated and not? i mean it just shines and thats it or there is something else?

hey, i live in europe so .com sites dont work for me since the shipping and everything is more expensive. i just contacted the shop if they set up ukuleles. whats the difference between laminated and not? i mean it just shines and thats it or there is something else?

It's the solidness of the wood. Non-laminate means it's a single thickness of wood. Laminate means it's lots of thin layers of wood glued together.

lol i wrote these 2 messages to another topic and they created new one but thanks for answer. so laminated is not that good as not laminate?

lol i wrote these 2 messages to another topic and they created new one but thanks for answer. so laminated is not that good as not laminate?

It has a different tone. You can have bad and good in each, but most of the higher end instruments are solid wood and most of the cheaper instruments are laminate. So, yes, but not always.

Laminated wood is plywood, layers of wood glued together, as stated above. Solid one is a single thickness of wood. Some laminated wood ukuleles sound better than others. As to the choice between solid vs. laminate, each has its advantages and drawbacks. Very generally speaking, solid wood ukuleles will be more resonant acoustically and laminated ukuleles are more durable.

Here are some articles/videos that might interest you:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/03/theres-good-and-bad-ukuleles-whether.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtV5jkXTVBI

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/folk-instrument-buying-guides/ukuleles-how-to-choose

The Kala you are looking at has a pickup, if I am correct. You would be paying for that. If you do not plan to play through an amp, you could probably do better considering your budget.

I had a chance to play that uke in my local music store. I had considered buying it but I waited too long and someone else bought it. It had a lovely sound and is very well made. If it appeals to you I think it will serve you well. My main ukulele is a Kala cedar top with the same slotted head design. I find it very comfortable to play.

Top Bottom