PDA

View Full Version : kala ukulele

Martynas
03-22-2016, 02:53 AM
Hello guys, i have 300 euros for ukulele and i decided to buy this one http://www.ukes.com/ka-kcge-c-kala-koa-concert-cutaway-ukulele-with-eq.html what do you guys think its ok for first uke? If not say why and offer something else please the uke will be used as acoustic not electric and with acoustic amp.

Kyle23
03-22-2016, 03:00 AM
I don't know much about the Kala but if I had your budget, I would buy this
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/concert/pono-ac-acacia-concert.html

But that's just my personal opinion.

Twibbly
03-22-2016, 03:05 AM
Hello guys, i have 300 euros for ukulele and i decided to buy this one http://www.ukes.com/ka-kcge-c-kala-koa-concert-cutaway-ukulele-with-eq.html what do you guys think its ok for first uke? If not say why and offer something else please the uke will be used as acoustic not electric and with acoustic amp.

This is more a question of where you are buying it from. Do they do a basic set up on it for you? As far as making sure the nut and saddle are at the right height and the frets are level, etc? I bought my first one (a Makala, Kala's junior brand) and everything goes very sharp as soon as I put a finger on a fret. That could have been avoided by buying one from someone who sets it up. I just received my new uke from Mim yesterday, and it plays like a dream compared to the Makala.

bariukish
03-22-2016, 03:25 AM
When my wife and I bought our first ukuleles four years ago, we chose Kala acacia baritones. We have not been disappointed for any reasons. They are well made and fairly priced. Even though we have since bought more expensive ukes, we still play our Kalas frequently. I think kalas are one of the best values out there.

anthonyg
03-22-2016, 03:27 AM
Have you bought the instrument yet?

Following on from my answer in your amplifier thread. If this instrument is for home practice you don't need the pickup. Save the money and buy one without a pickup. You only want pickups and amplifiers if you intend to perform in public.

Other than that Kala's are fine for the price.

Anthony

kissing
03-22-2016, 03:37 AM
If you're a beginner and don't have much experience with instruments - it is best to buy from a reputable seller that does setups, eg: The Ukulele Site, MIMs ukulele store, Uke Republic.

The ukuleles sometimes aren't in great playing condition even if brand new if not setup. I have enough experience tinkering with instruments to do my own setups, but even then I would rather buy from a seller that does it for me. It's simply better value and I have the peace of mind buying from a seller who understands ukuleles.

The Kala KCGE-C is probably an OK instrument.
If I had your money, I would probably go for a Pono from The Ukulele Site too.
You can pay a little extra to have a professional pickup installed.

spookelele
03-22-2016, 03:47 AM
If you don't need a pickup, the cedar top kala's are very good, and not just for the money.
For the money they are a steal.

If you do need a pickup.. maybe still the cedar top, and have a pickup installed.

fwiw, I've tried the koa kala... and it was not one I would buy.

EssexRiver
03-22-2016, 03:55 AM
Hello Martynas,

Welcome to UU!

I was at a show recently where three women played their ukes and one had a very similar Kala going through an amp. It sounded nice, FWIW. There are loads of Kala owners who love their ukes.

I might consider this KoAlana Concert laminate with a pickup installed.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/koalana-concert-kca-0010.html

From what I've read they sound sweet and are very nicely constructed. At $200, I think it's a steal. It would leave you under budget so you can get extra strings and a case, too...although I guess you'd have to factor in shipping.

Good luck.

Martynas
03-22-2016, 07:32 AM
hello, i just saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZoR-a0e5gU and i love the sound and the look of that uke mm that cutaway and hawaiian koa. :D

Kyle23
03-22-2016, 10:08 AM
If you're really dead set on that one, contact the site you're getting it from and make sure they do a "set up" on their instruments. And I'm pretty sure that the koa on that is laminate and not solid at that price. Not sure if you knew that or if it mattered to you.

You're best bet is to buy it from here
http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-kcg-koa-concert-slothead-gloss-cutaway-electric.html

Edit- nvm it's out of stock

Martynas
03-22-2016, 10:10 AM
there is difference between laminated and not laminated? i just wrote them email about set up. if they dont do it is it possible to do it on your own?

Twibbly
03-22-2016, 10:11 AM
there is difference between laminated and not laminated? i just wrote them email about set up. if they dont do it is it possible to do it on your own?

It is possible, but I'd have someone else do it if possible, as a beginner myself.

Twibbly
03-22-2016, 10:11 AM

Laminate = very thin layers glued together to make a solid
Non laminated = wood

Martynas
03-22-2016, 10:14 AM
hey, i live in europe so .com sites dont work for me since the shipping and everything is more expensive. i just contacted the shop if they set up ukuleles. whats the difference between laminated and not? i mean it just shines and thats it or there is something else?

Twibbly
03-22-2016, 10:17 AM
hey, i live in europe so .com sites dont work for me since the shipping and everything is more expensive. i just contacted the shop if they set up ukuleles. whats the difference between laminated and not? i mean it just shines and thats it or there is something else?

It's the solidness of the wood. Non-laminate means it's a single thickness of wood. Laminate means it's lots of thin layers of wood glued together.

Martynas
03-22-2016, 10:22 AM
lol i wrote these 2 messages to another topic and they created new one but thanks for answer. so laminated is not that good as not laminate?

Twibbly
03-22-2016, 10:24 AM
lol i wrote these 2 messages to another topic and they created new one but thanks for answer. so laminated is not that good as not laminate?

It has a different tone. You can have bad and good in each, but most of the higher end instruments are solid wood and most of the cheaper instruments are laminate. So, yes, but not always.

Kyle23
03-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Check out this thread on laminate vs solid wood
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?9989-Laminate-vs-Solid-Wood

hmgberg
03-22-2016, 10:40 AM
Laminated wood is plywood, layers of wood glued together, as stated above. Solid one is a single thickness of wood. Some laminated wood ukuleles sound better than others. As to the choice between solid vs. laminate, each has its advantages and drawbacks. Very generally speaking, solid wood ukuleles will be more resonant acoustically and laminated ukuleles are more durable.

Here are some articles/videos that might interest you:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/03/theres-good-and-bad-ukuleles-whether.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtV5jkXTVBI

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/folk-instrument-buying-guides/ukuleles-how-to-choose

The Kala you are looking at has a pickup, if I am correct. You would be paying for that. If you do not plan to play through an amp, you could probably do better considering your budget.

photoshooter
03-22-2016, 10:50 AM
I had a chance to play that uke in my local music store. I had considered buying it but I waited too long and someone else bought it. It had a lovely sound and is very well made. If it appeals to you I think it will serve you well. My main ukulele is a Kala cedar top with the same slotted head design. I find it very comfortable to play.

Martynas
03-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Guys also what is high end ukuleles? and i read they are better but why?

Peace Train
03-22-2016, 12:15 PM
Guys also what is high end ukuleles? and i read they are better but why?

High end equals higher price. Higher price is generally considered better, but not always. It depends upon your needs (whether you'll be playing indoors or outdoors, in a variety of changing climates, etc), upon what sound you like, and so forth.

What it boils down to is what you personally prefer, and also buying from a reputable dealer with a proper set-up. Don't worry too much about purchasing your first uke because you'll most likely be buying others once you get a feel for what speaks to you.

Snargle
03-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Don't worry too much about purchasing your first uke because you'll most likely be buying others once you get a feel for what speaks to you.I think we all (myself included) sometimes end up suffering from "paralysis by analysis". I look at a beginner's instrument as something that you use to find out if you're really serious about this silly little four-string guitar. :rolleyes: Get something that's in your price range, sounds good to your (uneducated) ear, and makes you smile when you look at it and pick it up. You'll soon find out what features you like and dislike, and assuming you decide to continue, what you want for your next ukulele.

Inksplosive AL
03-22-2016, 12:50 PM
You seem to be suffering from I cant wait for my ukulele to arrive syndrome. Relax take a deep breath... Good.

Kala ukuleles are fine instruments and most are perfect for beginner and intermediate as well as experienced players. High end ukuleles usually means something like the "other" K brands starting at $800 - $1500 or better though Kala now puts out a few high end ukuleles selling for over $1000. I have a Koaloha concert bought used yet I play my Kala's the most. Starting with a $300 ukulele should be different than starting with a $30 ukulele.

Know this... You will likely buy more than one ukulele they are like Doritos chips, tattoos and piercings most have more than one. Not addictive but when you like something you like something.

The difference between most quality laminates such as Kala ukuleles to a solid wood ukulele is only noticeable if you have both (in sound). In other words a laminate Kala like my KA-SEM does sound different than my Spruce topped or Acacia Kala ukuleles. Then again every ukulele I own has its own distinct sound some are richer or fuller in sound others louder and punchier, others still with sustain equivalent to a small guitar.

One other thing to contemplate is some ukuleles are listed as solid "insert wood here" top, "different wood here" sides and back. Many resellers then assume the omission of the word solid on the sides and back means laminate and report this as such. I have a few such ukuleles and find the word solid "wood" top, "different wood" sides and back mean just that if anything were a laminate it would be disclosed by the builders description.

If you have no experience playing or coming back to strings and the ukulele for the first time I suggest getting a jump start and downloading Uncle Rods Ukulele Bootcamp. Print out the 5 important sheets... just pay attention to the corrections on two chords notated there. (have to look I think I have corrected the PDF somewhere) Another fun thing to start doing now is shown here: http://ukuleleinthedark.com/paper-strum-strum-without-a-uke/ The paper strum might also get you into doing something physically to play the ukulele before it arrives and at least in my eyes is much better than an information overload that might have you regretting or questioning a purchase that just might be perfect for you.

~peace~

EDIT: Two posts saying mostly what I did in less words while I typed... ;)

Martynas
03-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Haha thank you everybody! :)

Martynas
03-22-2016, 09:30 PM
then also it means that solid boy ukuleles are better so i should get solid body for my next ukulele?

kissing
03-22-2016, 10:48 PM
Have a look into the Pono brand of ukuleles.
They're a bit special (in my opinion), because the company that owns and runs Pono is Koolau - one of the big "K" brands of Hawaii considered to be high end.

Their philosophy appears to be trying to recreate the kind of quality to expect from "high end" but keeping production costs down by having their factory in Indonesia.

I have owned many ukuleles including Kala, Ohana, Lanikai, Pono, Gretsch, Epiphone, Fender, Luna, Mahalo, and many others... I have also owned a Kamaka in the past.
After 8 years, to me, Pono are special. When I buy a Pono, I expect it to be nearly as good (or equal!) to a high-end K-brand uke. In fact, sometimes they come with features that are more desirable to me than a K-brand uke, such as a cutaway, wider selection of woods and an adjustable truss rod in their tenors and baritones.

When I buy from Kala, Ohana, Lanikai, etc - I expect good value, but the quality to be not quite as high.

Many of Pono's basic models are within an affordable price range (around $300), but come with the high quality consistent within all models.
Pono's more expensive models are way up there in the "high end" price bracket at over $1000.

If you haven't spent your 300 Euroes yet, check them out!

edit: Currently suffering VERY BADLY from "waiting for ukuleles to arrive syndrome".
Unfortunately due to the high demand of Pono instruments from The Ukulele Site, I am still waiting for my two new Ponos to be setup.
Getting a Pono Nui + Pono cutaway mahogany tenor, both with passive Pono pickup installed.

Inksplosive AL
03-23-2016, 12:29 AM
As you can see we all have a favorite brand and all end up buying many ukuleles.

All the upper K brands seem to have an "economy line" as Kissing suggests. So many Ponos have gone through the marketplace the last 6-8 months or so it has me questioning the brand.

Kala has gone the opposite route starting with many economy models building a good reputation and then releasing the Elite series. http://www.kalabrand.com/elite#story

Solid wood or a solid top is different than a solid body. My solid wood ukuleles live in a humidity controlled box while my laminates sit next to me out in the dry heat all winter. A solid body on the other hand is much more like an electric guitar.

On waiting syndrome I bought a solid body Risa from kissing just over a week ago and my last tracking of it reads: March 19, 2016 , 3:03 am Processed Through Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Seems its in a new black hole with our postal service and customs. I'm doing my best to not pay attention to the horror stories on the internet starting last year, hoping our postal service and customs havent become a bunch of thieves and thugs like I hear the Canadian postal service has become and wonder if I will see my ukulele someday in the near future.

~Al~

Tootler
03-23-2016, 12:55 AM

On waiting syndrome I bought a solid body Risa from kissing just over a week ago and my last tracking of it reads: March 19, 2016 , 3:03 am Processed Through Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Seems its in a new black hole with our postal service and customs. I'm doing my best to not pay attention to the horror stories on the internet starting last year, hoping our postal service and customs havent become a bunch of thieves and thugs like I hear the Canadian postal service has become and wonder if I will see my ukulele someday in the near future.

~Al~

I sometimes think customs hold things up just because they can. I bought a Risa uke direct from Risa in Germany and it was held 5 days in UK customs even though there is no extra duty or tax to pay on items bought within the European Union. The rule is you pay tax at the country of origin.

Kyle23
03-23-2016, 01:02 AM
And I thought my waiting syndrome was bad ha. My dream Uke will be at my house Thursday but I'm out of town until Saturday (family is home so it won't be left outside, you can breathe now). The agonyyyyyyyyy

Mivo
03-23-2016, 01:34 AM
There are a few places in Europe that sell set-up ukuleles. Which country are you in?

Martynas
03-23-2016, 02:20 AM
Lithuania, i already bought my from gear4music.nl i think they set-up their ukes because they have their services all over the world and europe

Martynas
03-23-2016, 02:24 AM
well and also i heard a lot of good compliments to pono ukes. so i think it will be my second uke hehe ;) btw i buy from that site because there is already vat included and i wont have to pay any money to customs in my country. and i think its the cheapiest way to buy ukes in europe.

kissing
03-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Have you tried:
www.ukulele.de ?

I have bought from them several times, because they own "Risa", an electric ukulele company that I quite like.
But they also carry many other kinds of ukuleles at various price ranges.

The Southern Ukulele store seems to be another big one in Europe
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/

They DO setup their instruments!

i already bought my from gear4music.nl i think they set-up their ukes because they have their services all over the world and europe

I'm pretty sure that they don't set up their ukes.
It's usually the smaller, specialty stores that offer a setup. Most big scale instrument distributors just send out instruments untouched from the factory.

Martynas
03-23-2016, 02:37 AM
i see. no i didnt see that page before.well i already bought that kala yesterday so no chance to change anything. gear4music.nl is cool the shipping is only 6 euros to my country and it only takes 2weeks for shipping

Martynas
03-23-2016, 02:40 AM
they also just replied me back that they setup ukuleles before shipping!

DownUpDave
03-23-2016, 03:04 AM
they also just replied me back that they setup ukuleles before shipping!

Tell them you want all the frets leveled and the string height set at actually 2.5 mm at the 12th fret. Hopefully they have not shipped out yet because depending on their answer they either "really" do set ups or just look it over before shipping out.

It is not the end of the world if it is not set up. My first uke was bought off the shelf and I just played it. After about three months I did have it set up and it made it easier to play but I was able to make great progress as it came from the factory.

Martynas
03-23-2016, 03:13 AM
We have an in house luthier who can set up your ukulele for you. Thats exactly what they said. I wrote them email asking to set up my uke and my order id