Buy a Uke that is Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
good video. I recommend people only buy a uke without a set up IF they are buying in person and get a good example. To be fair the price difference in your ukes might make up some of the difference in what you hear. BTW, I also think it is good that even after three weeks of learning that you are able to hear the difference in the ukes.

I didn't get a set up right away even though it could have used one for budget reasons and it did help me with my novice ears and fingers to learn what lesser tone sounds like and what inferior string comfort feels like. I only had a problem with the E string being much more uncomfortable and sharp compared to the other strings. I ended up doing the set up on my own a few months later using a hacksaw blade on the nut. It only took about 40 minutes and was a free fix.

My understanding is that the ohanas have a factory set up so MIM probably didn't have much to do on your instrument to get it optimized. It doesn't hurt to have someone with a better and more experienced ear try the instrument first before you buy. I found some ohanas to be muted but none of them had bad frets or high action compared to cheaper ukes. Yours sounds to be a good example that didn't seem to be quieter like the one I considered getting(the cheapest solid body soprano they sold at the time.)

YMMV

Price difference was $9 (plus shipping). I don't think they vary that much in that range. ;)

Stupid newby question...what does that mean "buy a uke that's set up". I just bought mine from the music store. No one said anything about setting it up. I imagine mine is not since I just got it at Guitar Center and bought the one I thought sounded the best.

Stupid newby question...what does that mean "buy a uke that's set up". I just bought mine from the music store. No one said anything about setting it up. I imagine mine is not since I just got it at Guitar Center and bought the one I thought sounded the best.

When it's set up, they make sure that the nut and saddle are at about the best height for the general user and that the frets are even and the nut slots are at the right height. Sometimes they put on better strings too.

They did nothing to your ukulele at guitar center. Either search this site using the search function or use Google with the site switch like so. setup site:ukuleleunderground.com the word setup is your search term and the rest forces Google to only search this site.

There is so much written to not read what came before.

~peace~

They did nothing to your ukulele at guitar center. Either search this site using the search function or use Google with the site switch like so. setup site:ukuleleunderground.com the word setup is your search term and the rest forces Google to only search this site.

There is so much written to not read what came before.

~peace~

Yes, I used the search button on the website prior to asking and, while I found the term used I could not find anything specifically explaining what it meant. I always try the search first.

When it's set up, they make sure that the nut and saddle are at about the best height for the general user and that the frets are even and the nut slots are at the right height. Sometimes they put on better strings too.
Thank you for the explanation Twibby.

Your fingers will feel the difference, especially as a newbie. I didn't get mine set up initially from Sam Ash and the action was too high. In retrospect I should have started with a Flea/Fluke, as those are universally well setup/low action/easy on the fingers for a newbie.

Yes, I used the search button on the website prior to asking and, while I found the term used I could not find anything specifically explaining what it meant. I always try the search first.

Hello, perhaps you mistook my intent to help you along with much more than this one question. Forum search engines usually leave much to be desired so I mentioned the Google site switch.

If you type this into Google: setup site:ukuleleunderground.com you force Google to search only this site. If you change the search term to the word pizza for instance, written as: pizza site:ukuleleunderground.com you will find my post about Fallout 4 (due to my mention of wanting a pizza) and even a recipe for a healthy pizza with a flatbread crust right here on this ukulele forum.

The future is looking quite pitiful, if this is the future of our country I welcome my return to the void. http://www.inquisitr.com/2918452/em...alking-they-are-offered-emergency-counseling/

"Students protested the "words in chalk" by denouncing the "big bad wolf", noting that they are “in pain” and feel “intimidated” by the water-soluble chalk letters."

~AL~

Last edited:
Hello, perhaps you mistook my intent to help you along with much more than this one question. Forum search engines usually leave much to be desired so I mentioned the Google site switch.

If you type this into Google: setup site:ukuleleunderground.com you force Google to search only this site. If you change the search term to the word pizza for instance, written as: pizza site:ukuleleunderground.com you will find my post about Fallout 4 (due to my mention of wanting a pizza) and even a recipe for a healthy pizza with a flatbread crust right here on this ukulele forum]

Thanks. I'd never heard of searching that way with Google.

Uh, Al? Why are we talking about politics in a thread on ukulele setup?

We are not.

I did mention a current affair which happened over a "political slogan" as it mirrored my feeling here. The message is not a political one nor does it suggest any further political ramblings.

Questions like this are best suited to PMs.

~peace~

[QUOTE

"Students protested the "words in chalk" by denouncing the "big bad wolf", noting that they are “in pain” and feel “intimidated” by the water-soluble chalk letters."

~AL~[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I should laugh or cry .

Search on UU leaves a lot to be desired, and it has since I started coming here. But even regular search engines seem to be getting bad. I was just trying to do a search for Eddy Finn the other day and it took me almost a page of sites from Amazon to ebay before I got to the actual Eddy Finn site. By the way, no need to show me where it is, I finally found it myself. It just seems like things can get buried pretty easily these days.

Last edited:
For years, I've been using this search parameter in the Google searchbar . . . site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com
Add a space and then the subject matter you wish to search for . . . site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com setup and yielded these results https://www.google.com/searchq=site...r=1#q=site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com+setup

Funny I cannot even find any information on the site switch using Google these days. I remember reading to put search terms before the switch. Its possible that they used to let it through both ways but now just changed to be less forgiving.

I remember when Google first came out and you could search phone numbers to get names and addresses for free. Then a few years later any term would get you p***. Eddy or even eddie finn takes me directly to their site. The thing is if you are signed in your google is no longer my google we will all get different results possibly due to our searching habits and or locations.

~AL~

Dannys link search works and you get the links however when you copy and paste i got something different
But it does send you to the right links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom