set up

Martynas

Reaction score
Hello guys, can someone explain whats the difference between the set up and not set up ukulele? and how they do it? i just ordered my first uke so i want to know :p

Setup is important to correct a uke that left the factory in a state that is not good/not good enough.

That being said, factories send ukes, that they think are "good" or good enough.

Generally, the higher end the uke, the less chance that a setup is even necessary.

I think alot of times, the "setup" is more of a final quality control check/fix the store does before they send it to you. The store has incentive to check it to ensure it doesn't get sent back, because then they have to eat the shipping, and they have an unhappy customer. If you buy a uke somewhere else, and take it to get "setup" then it's more of a corrective thing, but really stores shouldn't be selling ukes that "need" a setup because it means something is wrong with it brand new.

Alot of ukes.. nothing actually needs to be done. They check it and if it checks out, they ship it to you. If it's a simple correction they'll do some work, or if it's not easily correctable, they send it back to the the manufacturer.

Setup is important to correct a uke that left the factory in a state that is not good/not good enough.

That being said, factories send ukes, that they think are "good" or good enough.

Generally, the higher end the uke, the less chance that a setup is even necessary.

I think alot of times, the "setup" is more of a final quality control check/fix the store does before they send it to you. The store has incentive to check it to ensure it doesn't get sent back, because then they have to eat the shipping, and they have an unhappy customer. If you buy a uke somewhere else, and take it to get "setup" then it's more of a corrective thing, but really stores shouldn't be selling ukes that "need" a setup because it means something is wrong with it brand new.

Alot of ukes.. nothing actually needs to be done. They check it and if it checks out, they ship it to you. If it's a simple correction they'll do some work, or if it's not easily correctable, they send it back to the the manufacturer.

I agree completely. Best explanation I've heard . :agree: :worship:

I agree with everything that has been said so far, but would just like to add that some people like higher action, and some people prefer super low action, so even with the best instruments some adjustment of action may be necessary in order to meet the individuals preferences. Custom builders usually ask in the process of making the instrument, but factory instruments, and those from stores are usually set to a default string height that is a happy medium, from what I understand.

So, unless you like particularly high action because you play really hard and find "normal" action to buzz, or super low action because you really like that extra richness that you get, and don't play hard enough to make it buzz, you should be thrilled with the default action from reputable places.

Take care,
Thomas

Last edited:
At 2:12 of the video, Joel has an interesting way of taking up the slack in the strings when they are loose.

Not sure I would trust myself with that technique.

John

I know Joel and he has done over 30,000 setups and counting....and he is one of three full time setup guys...and Andrew does many of them too....I have seen them setup more high end production ukes then you can imagine......custom ones too...:)

for me since they do the setup and buffing out of some imperfections I would feel way better having a setup by them if I am spending my money on a nice uke....

my 2 cents

I know Joel and he has done over 30,000 setups and counting....and he is one of three full time setup guys...and Andrew does many of them too....I have seen them setup more high end production ukes then you can imagine......custom ones too...:)

for me since they do the setup and buffing out of some imperfections I would feel way better having a setup by them if I am spending my money on a nice uke....

my 2 cents

+1

My uke came from HMS in flawless condition, and perfectly setup. My only minor gripe would be their choice of strings: Fremont Blacklines. Awful stuff. :p

HMS does do an excellent job, no doubt in my mind.
Every HMS uke has come playing great.

The one non-hms uke I got from a freak internet sale. It was a concert cedar top kala, that was mis-priced. It was not "setup" and I doubt it was ever looked at by the seller. And yet, it came with perfect action and flawless finish too.

Now.. I'm sure there are horror stories too. And that's why you shop at HMS, because you know it won't happen to you then.

Alot of people say you MUST have a setup, and I'm not sure I agree.
It definitely helps to have someone that knows what they're looking at, to look at it for you before they send it especially if you don't know anything about ukes.

But.. sometimes things just work out, and to say that's a miracle ignores that outfit's like Kala do have some sort of quality control themselves. Not to say it's perfect or 100%, but not everyone just shoves it in a box as soon as it's dry.

Top Bottom