Gold Label Kamaka soprano

fopianki

Reaction score
I have purchased a gold label soprano Kamaka. Mine does not have the curved fretless extension yet I see many photos that have that feature. Anyone know why some gold label kamakas have it and some don't?

Hello, sir.

I, too, just bought a K Gokd Label and mine has the curved extension.

I have no idea why some have it and others don't, but mmstan will pray-fully chime in; he's a Kamaka guru if there ever was one.

Good question, f.

Nice one on ebay with hard case, buy it now, for $299

Are all of the older kamakas koa or are some mahogany?

I haven't heard of any vintage mahogany Kamakas except the Keiki made in Japan ones.

Here is info on it taken from the Kamaka website:
From 1963 to 1970, to compete against unscrupulous ukulele manufacturers who tried to sell fake "Kamaka" ukuleles in Japan, Kamaka & Sons Enterprises collaborated with Tokyo Stringed Manufacturing Co., Ltd. to produce ukuleles for sale in Japan. Called "Keiki Kamaka," the ukuleles were made of mahogany, and were only available in the standard (soprano) size. "Keiki" means "child" in Hawaiian, a fitting name for the lowest-priced, beginner's model.

Last edited:
there was some 1930 mahogany pineapples too

As usual, Stan is correct. I have a 30's Pineapple made of "Philippine Mahogany" which is what Chris Kamaka told me it was when I put it in his hands. It is a long grain mahogany, really pretty.

Top Bottom