PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Uke You've Ever Played

Kyle23
03-23-2016, 01:27 AM
What's your favorite ukulele you've ever had the pleasure of playing? Not exactly your favorite you've owned, but maybe you picked one up at a music shop and couldn't afford it, but the sound just stuck with you over the years. I would love to hear some stories!

DownUpDave
03-23-2016, 01:45 AM
My LfdM both sounds and plays the best I've ever experienced. Even with high tension strings it plays effortlessly. I can play pieces on this instrument without thinking, others I own are not as easy with the same piece. I have come to appreciate this as much or more than the sound.

mm stan
03-23-2016, 01:56 AM
Every ukulele i learn something new from or is inspirational is my favorite. . :)
Ukes are like friends, each one different and special in their own way

blorb
03-23-2016, 02:00 AM
Whichever ukulele is most convenient for me to take places.

Which right now is my Tom 17 inch.

kissing
03-23-2016, 02:03 AM
I guess a few notable examples are...

Kamaka Baritone. That thing played like butter and the tone just melted me away. Unfortunately sold it when finances are tough...

Pono Pro-Classic baritone (Cedar top, cutaway with Mi-Si pickup). Oh damn I loved this instrument... but I sold it because at the time I didn't have the sufficient skill to know what difference a high quality instrument made. I convinced myself that it was a waste of money and that I could live with less expensive ukes.

It looks as though I am very much a baritone lover.

I am currently waiting on a Pono Nui baritone to be setup and shipped from The Ukulele Site.
I'm pretty sure that will become my new favourite!

dirtiestkidever
03-23-2016, 02:10 AM
John S Kinnard Walnut / Spruce Baritone. It think it was this one here (http://www.theukulelesite.com/kinnard-series-2-spruce-walnut-baritone.html). Just incredible.

DownUpDave
03-23-2016, 02:28 AM
John S Kinnard Walnut / Spruce Baritone. It think it was this one here (http://www.theukulelesite.com/kinnard-series-2-spruce-walnut-baritone.html). Just incredible.

Holy smokes Doug..............you just gave me a raging case of "Gotta have it". What a beauty

Doc_J
03-23-2016, 03:10 AM
My favorite varyies by what I am playing. Today, I'm playing a Steve vanPelt tenor, as good as they come. Wish Steve was still building ukes.

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
03-23-2016, 04:30 AM
A bunch of years ago i was hanging out with MusicGuy Mike at a Hawaiian Culture Festival here on the 9th island (Las Vegas). Mike DaSilva was there and I was able to play the prototype he brought of his ca. 1890 Santo reproduction. WOW, it was punchy, loud, and the note clarity was the best i've ever heard.
One day, when i'm not living in the driest county in the driest state...one day...

Xtradust
03-23-2016, 05:00 AM
I learned to play on a Kamaka Tenor with pretty high strings. At one point, it went into the LCM and picked up a flea with a plastic fretboard and I was amazed at how low the strings were and how easy it was to play. I said to the guy working there, "The strings are so low on this uke! And it plays so nice. What's the deal?!" He looked back like, "Umm, yeah."

I have a 50's-ish Martin Style 1 that almost plays itself. Anytime I'm trying out a new song, its my go-to uke. It really helps smooth out the poorly fretted notes.

But, a friend of mine (Charlie at Island Bazaar) brought in a 2000's Kamaka Concert the other day that was just spectacular. No rosettes or binding or bling. It was a just a classic ukulele and a wonderful thing. it sounded so nice....

UkerDanno
03-23-2016, 05:12 AM
My Kanile'a...
I found out what "plays like butter" means...:shaka:

janeray1940
03-23-2016, 05:21 AM
Hmmm, I've never had the experience of playing a uke that was not mine but that was (to my ear and hands) better than anything I already own. So I'd have to say my Kamaka HF-1L longneck soprano.

Ukulelerick9255
03-23-2016, 05:35 AM
It was my tenor African Blackwood/sinker redwood it rang like a harp butI sold it to finance a Ziricote/figured redwood Selmer style uke from Beau Hannam and that will be my favorite go to uke. I also love my Kanilea Premium Koa w/abalone but I'm selling that one also. If interested there is a thread on the Kanile'a with pics....looks more like master grade than premium and sounds gorgeous.

whepper
03-23-2016, 05:54 AM
My favourite is my Kanilea K-2 C DLX, a concert ukulele. It has just the perfect sound and the koa is absolutely stunning. I'm also a big fan of my Black Bear soprano.

pointpergame
03-23-2016, 06:20 AM
I'm fairly new to the Ukulele catch and release program, and, unfortunately, also an utter fool for quality sound. My "best" are so different with such different niches, I have to list two:

Lo Pranzi Rosewood and Spruce Tenor.
Wide dynamics ( tantalizing sound from soft to very loud ) without distortion. Mid and lows are well-balanced against the highs. Seems to love being finger-picked. Though the fit and finish are fantastic, it is not ravishingly beautiful.

An 8-string I'iwi tenor by Charlie Fukuba. One of the more beautiful fretted instruments I've ever beheld. The three bubbly sound holes make me smile and the finish work gives me that affirmation that this guy knows how to build a Ukulele. The sound, to address the question, comes from some pretty darned high potential energy. So it takes significantly more effort to play compared to a 4-string uke. And it takes a far more carefully-directed right hand to avoid sonic blur. It is, after all, producing 6 pitches if you count the octave G and the octave C. It fills the room. Something like playing a cathedral organ with all the stops pulled. It isn't for every piece of music. But whenever I'm playing anything here at home, on any instrument, it's up on its elbow there in its case with a smile on its face saying, "Gimme the ball - Gimme the ball !!!" And I always want to know how that piece would sound on the CK. Usually, it sounds fantastic. Sometimes it's too fantastic. I don't always want a 32 piece orchestra playing behind my old, ragged voice.

Ukulele Eddie
03-23-2016, 06:53 AM

I played that one several times and it was truly very special.

Picking a favorite? That's like picking a favorite child. I can't do it. But the short list would include this Kinnard baritone, my Hive spruce/maple tenor, a Kinnard cedar/EIR tenor that I played, and a Laughlin 2M. I'd probably include a Blackbird Clara on the list, too.

lakesideglenn
03-23-2016, 07:05 AM
William King super-soprano that I own. Flawless construction, beauty, and playability...and it rings like a bell!

keod
03-23-2016, 08:04 AM
Without a doubt - a Loprinzi long neck soprano that DownUpDave graciously and generously just sold me. I love everything about it - the finish, the neck profile, the Worth CL he put on.......and the tone is unbelievable! As much as I like my laminates, the sound of the Loprinzi is just much richer.
I could never thank him enough for introducing me to my first solid wood uke- I will cherish it for the rest of my life :D.

SoloRule
03-23-2016, 08:48 AM
My LfdM both sounds and plays the best I've ever experienced. Even with high tension strings it plays effortlessly. I can play pieces on this instrument without thinking, others I own are not as easy with the same piece. I have come to appreciate this as much or more than the sound.

LFDM made my playing sound good!
Luis is a magician!

SoloRule
03-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Without a doubt - a Loprinzi long neck soprano that DownUpDave graciously and generously just sold me. I love everything about it - the finish, the neck profile, the Worth CL he put on.......and the tone is unbelievable! As much as I like my laminates, the sound of the Loprinzi is just much richer.
I could never thank him enough for introducing me to my first solid wood uke- I will cherish it for the rest of my life :D.

Dave still has more in his collection. Whisper to me what you want, I will steal it for you. Lol
Yes Dave praised the Loprinzi. I just didn't have the opportunity to try it.
People say if you are good, you can make anything sounds good. Since I am not good, I relay on a good instrument! Thank you Dave for introducing me to many good ukes!

Croaky Keith
03-23-2016, 09:12 AM
I don't have any 'high end' experience, (but I have got a collection, soprano, concert, & one tenor), & my favourite is still my Kala KA-SLNG, (long neck soprano), which is now fitted with Living Water low G strings, it just feels so right. :cool:

sukie
03-23-2016, 09:38 AM
My ukulele is my favourite. I have a Moore Bettah. But I have played a couple other ukuleles I loved. RyRod let me try his Talsma tenor. The sound was rich and full. At NAMM last year I tried a KoAloha pineapple sundae. It was so lively and bright. Two totally different sounds but both have stuck with me.

Kyle23
03-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Lovin the responses. I forgot to say mine... Nothing too special, but my Koa Pili Koko concert is my favorite. I've only played 3 ukes in my life though. I'm hoping the new uke I have coming in the mail takes the #1 spot from the KPK :drool:

keod
03-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Dave still has more in his collection. Whisper to me what you want, I will steal it for you. Lol
People say if you are good, you can make anything sounds good. Since I am not good, I relay on a good instrument! Thank you Dave for introducing me to many good ukes!

LOL. I'm not good enough to make any instrument very good, but the Loprinzi is sure giving me more confidence. You'd have to steal for someone else far more deserving ROTFL. Anyone would be lucky to get any of Dave's ukes - I swear to god they come with good karma:). It's going to be exciting to see what he is going to add to his stable next!

keod
03-23-2016, 10:17 AM
I don't have any 'high end' experience, (but I have got a collection, soprano, concert, & one tenor), & my favourite is still my Kala KA-SLNG, (long neck soprano), which is now fitted with Living Water low G strings, it just feels so right. :cool:

I have the KA SLNG and its sister KA KSLNG. Love them both- surprisingly good for the cost. Never thought of putting low g on.....thanks, I may try that.

Pueo
03-23-2016, 10:49 AM
There are exactly four that stand out, and I have played many ukuleles.
Moore Bettah - really hard to choose one, but each one I have played makes me want one oh so badly. I have played six or seven of them (Including Sukie's!)
Hoffmann Lutherie D-style 8-string baritone - unlike anything else, so full sounding, wonderful feel.
Maui Music 6-string Tenor - I really like six strings, but this particular one I played stands out as THE sound I am looking for.
KoAloha Koa Tenor - the only non-custom ukulele I ever played that I felt I just *had* to have - it's like they got everything just right.

On my list of want to try still is a LFdM Selmer style - just because!

Kyle23
03-23-2016, 10:51 AM
There are exactly four that stand out, and I have played many ukuleles.
Moore Bettah - really hard to choose one, but each one I have played makes me want one oh so badly. I have played six or seven of them (Including Sukie's!)
Hoffmann Lutherie D-style 8-string baritone - unlike anything else, so full sounding, wonderful feel.
Maui Music 6-string Tenor - I really like six strings, but this particular one I played stands out as THE sound I am looking for.
KoAloha Koa Tenor - the only non-custom ukulele I ever played that I felt I just *had* to have - it's like they got everything just right.

On my list of want to try still is a LFdM Selmer style - just because!

Have you played any Kanileas or Kamakas? The Koaloha stood out above them?

Pueo
03-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Have you played any Kanileas or Kamakas? The Koaloha stood out above them?

Yes and yes.
I am just speaking from a personal experience.
I have played many ukuleles, from basic Kala / Lanikai / Ohana all through all the K brands and even quite a few customs.
That particular day I was at Hawaii Music Supply and I grabbed a KoAloha koa tenor off the wall and it just - sang - I don't know how else to put it. Even my wife, who normally just tolerates my trips to HMS, turned around and said, "You need to get one of those." I just could not afford to buy it or I would have. I am not a professional musician or anything, I really have no need for a high-end instrument.

It is a difficult thing to quantify, I have played many instruments that I really love, but for whatever reason, for ME, those four have stood out in my experience, which is what I thought the OP was asking about.

Tootler
03-23-2016, 11:33 AM
I've not played many apart from the ones I own or have owned. There was a luthier made concert I tried last year at Whitby which was a beauty and I have mild regrets at not buying it. If it had been a tenor I might have been seriously tempted. It was even better than a much more expensive soprano I tried just a few minutes later and it was out of my budget or I might have been tempted by that one.

Otherwise, I like my Brükos. I have three and they all have their qualities. I think my favourite for tone is the tenor since I tuned it down to dGBE. It really came to life at the lower tuning.

mmfitzsimons
03-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Lorelei, my Kanile'a super tenor. Wide in the bottom, long in the neck... there are better ukes I'm sure, but none better for me. :)

spookelele
03-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Rebel Alchemist. It's truly a joy to play. Super easy. Can play it all night, and often do.

Also, what I think is the last one just went up for sale at HMS.

mmfitzsimons
03-23-2016, 01:23 PM
I saw that latest Alchemist, such an amazing work of art. I remember in the first Alchemist demo video I saw on HMS, whoever was playing strummed once and stopped to look at the uke again, like he was suddenly seeing it in a whole new light. That moment pretty much said it all.

spookelele
03-23-2016, 01:41 PM
I saw that latest Alchemist, such an amazing work of art. I remember in the first Alchemist demo video I saw on HMS, whoever was playing strummed once and stopped to look at the uke again, like he was suddenly seeing it in a whole new light. That moment pretty much said it all.

That was Kalei Gamiao playing #4.
It's one where expectation is weird, because of the design, but playing it feels normal and very nice.
It's louder than you'd think with just the small hole in front, and the overtones and sustain are sweet.
It's a very comfortable to play instrument too being a bit on the narrower side, and with the bevel.

Great uke that I'm super happy to own.

Kyle23
03-23-2016, 02:33 PM
Yes and yes.
I am just speaking from a personal experience.
I have played many ukuleles, from basic Kala / Lanikai / Ohana all through all the K brands and even quite a few customs.
That particular day I was at Hawaii Music Supply and I grabbed a KoAloha koa tenor off the wall and it just - sang - I don't know how else to put it. Even my wife, who normally just tolerates my trips to HMS, turned around and said, "You need to get one of those." I just could not afford to buy it or I would have. I am not a professional musician or anything, I really have no need for a high-end instrument.

It is a difficult thing to quantify, I have played many instruments that I really love, but for whatever reason, for ME, those four have stood out in my experience, which is what I thought the OP was asking about.

I'm the OP, you answered my question perfectly. I was just asking a random question about how you feel about K brands.

ksiegel
03-23-2016, 07:12 PM
I had the pleasure of doing a review on a Kinnard tenor a couple of years ago - absolutely stunning!

And while visiting Rick Turner's shop, also a couple of years back, I was fortunate to play his two personal ukes - one koa, one cherry.

I would have happily taken either one as mine.

70sSanO
03-23-2016, 07:37 PM
When you own a ukulele that you've nurtured over the years it is impossible not to consider it a favorite. But then there are ukuleles you pick up and everything is perfect and they make a lasting impression. The ones that have stuck in my mind are a vintage Martin 3k because it played and sounded so nice and don't even care that much for sopranos... a Palm Tree concert... and oddly enough, a Big Island concert.

John

Edit added: I didn't buy any of these.

Chuditch
03-23-2016, 09:36 PM
I am probably going to be scoffed at a bit but my favourite uke is still my first real uke, a Makala MK-T laminate tenor.

I bought it from Music Guy Mike (RIP) and as many people who have stuck with a new instrument will attest, I quickly fell out of love with it after trying to play it for a while. I went through a number other ukes in rapid succession before coming to the realisation that it was the Fool (playing it) and not the Tool (the MK-T) that was at fault.

MGM set that sucker up real nice, I have yet to play another uke that feels the same in regard to a super nice action and playability. It sounds very interesting, depending on how you play it... plunk a plunk like a Martin or sweet and smooth like a K brand uke.

Is it an expensive instrument? Nope. But it is my favourite.

cml
03-24-2016, 01:30 AM
So far my Gretsch. I've tried maybe a dozen different concerts from Kala, Tanglewood, Ibanez and a few others. This was by far the best sounding one. Most ukuleles here are laminated or solid top only, it's extremely difficult to get a fully solid one like mine. Some day I hope to get a custom. Was also looking at the sapele opio at tge southern ukulele store, but somebody snatched the last one...

Kyle23
03-24-2016, 01:39 AM
So far my Gretsch. I've tried maybe a dozen different concerts from Kala, Tanglewood, Ibanez and a few others. This was by far the best sounding one. Most ukuleles here are laminated or solid top only, it's extremely difficult to get a fully solid one like mine. Some day I hope to get a custom. Was also looking at the sapele opio at tge southern ukulele store, but somebody snatched the last one...

I had no idea they made a solid koa model. Good stuff. Would love to see how it compares to other solid koa Ukes.

stevepetergal
03-24-2016, 01:44 AM
I couldn't pick one. I played a bunch of ukuleles at the Mighty Mo use fest one year, Kamakas, KoAlohas, Moore Bettas... The list is long. The best by far were the Boat Paddles. All of them (maybe 20) were the very best I've ever played.
Didn't like the pins on the nuts though.

BigJackBrass
03-24-2016, 02:22 AM
I am probably going to be scoffed at a bit but my favourite uke is still my first real uke, a Makala MK-T laminate tenor... Is it an expensive instrument? Nope. But it is my favourite.

No scoffing here. After all, "favourite" is not the same as "objectively best." One of the things I adore about ukuleles is the way they can suit such a range of styles and ambitions.

My favourite is an Ohana SK-38, the soprano I bought as my first "upgrade" from the basic uke I started with. Light, loud and lovely to look at, although I'm currently waiting for a Wunderkammer Ike which may well edge it out of the top slot.

cml
03-24-2016, 02:38 AM
I had no idea they made a solid koa model. Good stuff. Would love to see how it compares to other solid koa Ukes.
I'll see if I can get a quick review together come the weekend :).

kkimura
03-24-2016, 02:39 AM
Does almost favorite count? I was in a music store a few years a go trying all the ukes on the wall there. Kept coming back to a blue Makala Dolphin. The wife got me out of there before I could do something crazy.

ukulelekarcsi
03-24-2016, 03:39 AM
Lots of different flavours, it's like choosing just one favourite dish. Mmmh. A while ago, I played a Dominique Chevalier ukaferri at the shop of the co-designer, François Charle. That one deverses a mention.

bearbike137
03-24-2016, 04:02 AM
This one. Plain looking, but plays and sounds amazing:

https://vimeo.com/105318632

bearbike137
03-24-2016, 04:12 AM
Hey man, it looks gorgeous. And the tone is to die for. Congratulations. That's a gem.

Hey - thanks. I am glad you like the way it looks. I do, too - but when you hold it up next to all that beautiful koa and inlay out there...

That said, I have had beautiful looking ukes that didn't sound as good as this one, and those I sold! So, I ultimately go with my ears. :cool:

wildfire070
03-24-2016, 04:24 AM
It's hard to say just one. My Asturias super soprano has a great tone so it's enjoyable to play just to hear it. My GG is really light and confortable so playability is great with it. And then my BW sopranino because it's such a little cutie being the smallest in my collection.

Stevelele
03-24-2016, 04:49 AM
My favorites are MBU, but the one that I keep thinking about is the Kris Barnett ukulele that he brought to my house and I sampled--he sold it on ebay--wish i had bought it. Subsequently I have tried to get him to make me an ukulele, but I think he gave up on ukes.

hawaii 50
03-24-2016, 07:06 AM
My favorites are MBU, but the one that I keep thinking about is the Kris Barnett ukulele that he brought to my house and I sampled--he sold it on ebay--wish i had bought it. Subsequently I have tried to get him to make me an ukulele, but I think he gave up on ukes.

Mike(MGM) had 4 or 5 ukes for HMS on order from Kris but never received any.....not sure what happened

Stevelele
03-24-2016, 07:14 AM
Kris got really busy and then decided to stop making ukes. I believe that he reached out to Andrew to discuss. He lives in Germany now. I haven't spoken to him in a while.

Mike(MGM) had 4 or 5 ukes for HMS on order from Kris but never received any.....not sure what happened

Ukejenny
03-24-2016, 01:04 PM
My Blackbird Clara. It just keeps getting better and better.

Pueo
03-24-2016, 02:30 PM
(hangs head in shame he forgot to mention the Compass Rose he played)

ZappCatt
03-24-2016, 04:02 PM
My new to me, Used Mele Koa Tenor.

The thin/flat neck makes barring chords and some of the stretchs SOOO much easier. My thumb now has a solid flat surface to help with the pressure, whereas with the rounded/chunky neck, it always seemed like a balancing act to find somewhere to push to provide pressure.

CasanovaGuy
03-24-2016, 09:36 PM
My favorite would have to be the KA-SSTU-T, the tenor travel-friendly pancake ukulele from Kala. I considered buying it for college, but it was too expensive LOL

But as a fingerstyle guitarist, I really, really, really want to try one of the 30 ukuleles made by Taylor Guitars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnu68EYkEWY) D:

janeray1940
03-25-2016, 04:55 AM
But as a fingerstyle guitarist, I really, really, really want to try one of the 30 ukuleles made by Taylor Guitars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnu68EYkEWY) D:

I've had the privilege of trying one, and - meh. Just for fun, my friend and I tried it side by side with the cheapest Ohana in the shop, and - you guessed it, the Ohana sounded better! It was louder and just had an all-around nicer tone. YMMV, but personally, having no emotional attachment to the Taylor brand, I was underwhelmed.

greenie44
03-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Every ukulele i learn something new from or is inspirational is my favorite. . :)
Ukes are like friends, each one different and special in their own way

Stan - what a surprise - you like them all! :smileybounce:

greenie44
03-25-2016, 10:38 AM
I do love my Kinnard, and my Collings, but your question seems to hint at those ukes we briefly played and that left an impression. I can call out two from my last trip to Hawaii -

- An LfdM that I had the rare pleasure of sampling. I played more than a dozen top quality ukes in the space of a couple of hours that day, and this was the one that stood out for me.
- A couple of days later, I was up at the Pono factory picking up my Kinnard. I saw an archtop tenor on the wall of Andrew K's office and asked him about it. He let me play it - oh, what a uke.

Fortunately, the first was not available and the second was pretty expensive. But I still dream.

joneo
03-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Another vote for a long neck soprano! My favorite that I have played thus far is my first ukulele, a Kala KA-KSLNG, that I bought on my first trip to Hawaii. I knew I wanted that soprano sound, but the concert neck just felt the best in my hands. I like my tenor and soprano ukes too of course, but this one will probably always be my favorite.

JMort847
03-25-2016, 12:08 PM
My favorite is my KoAloha Pineapple Soprano. My Bruko No. 6 is a nice counter balance to the KoAloha, but I love the full sound of my KoAloha!

bp70574
03-27-2016, 06:00 PM
I started on a crappy little soprano from like JB Hifi. But my favourite one I've ever played is the one I have now which is a concert ukulele from Tanglewood Union Series and it is the TU3. Though, I am looking to get an electric acoustic one

Doc_J
04-28-2016, 03:14 AM
Today, I'm enjoying playing this sweet tenor. It's my favorite for today.
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/Moore%20Bettah%20Tenor%202014/P1060729_zps56ea3aab.jpg

DownUpDave
04-28-2016, 03:20 AM
Oh......thanks for that eye candy Hodge. Your Moore Bettah is pure understated elegance.

wildfire070
04-28-2016, 03:24 AM
What a beauty!

SoloRule
04-28-2016, 03:39 AM
I want to say that there is ONE uke can't get out of my head is Dave's LFDM (Sofia).
The tone, the feel are just perfect. Made my poor playing sounds like a pro (in my ears anyway).
I will be getting one of my own sometime in June. Hope it is as good as Dave's Sofia.

strumsilly
04-28-2016, 04:47 AM
Haha. The best sounding uke I've ever played is the Collings I just bought from Dave! and it is so smooth and pretty I just want to hold it. Thanks again to Dave!

drbekken
04-28-2016, 06:03 AM
Objectively, my Martin 0XK - which I just sold to get money for a Gretsch tenor - is the best ukulele I ever played. The Gretsch shares the top spot. It's a marvellous instrument, and inexpensive too. Subjectively, however, I keep picking up my Rogue baritone; tone-wise, it's as substandard as they come, but the intonation is great, the action just right, and I love the down home, bluesy feel I get from playing it. It's consistently my go-to favorite. I love it.

WCBarnes
04-28-2016, 06:57 AM
I haven't played many ukes that are not mine, so my experiences may be limited. But the best uke I have played is my Ono pineapple. The tone, sustain and playability are absolutely amazing! For me, it is absolutely perfect!

Kyle23
04-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Nice bump, that Uke is one of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen.

I also have to change my most favorite to my new KoAloha KCM-00!

PTOEguy
04-30-2016, 03:42 AM
My Blackbird Clara. It just keeps getting better and better.

Me too - the more I play my Clara the more I get out of it. I keep finding new and different ways to get unique sounds out of it. I loved my flea when I got it, but the Clara does everything the flea does and more. It sounds great played loud and soft, fingerpicked and strummed. My only complaint is that I don't have two of them - one for high G and one for low.

JackLuis
04-30-2016, 06:24 AM
I go into my local Uke shop and buy accessories, strings etc. Being poor I drool over the lovely Ukes they have on the wall. Yesterday I went in a saw a solid Koa Kala tenor with sparkly MOP and played it a bit. Wow what a sound and at ~$1,700 Wow what a price. I played a couple of KoAloa (sp?) and wow they were nice but again many pennies!

Sigh, I wish I was still rich.:wallbash:

DownUpDave
04-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Haha. The best sounding uke I've ever played is the Collings I just bought from Dave! and it is so smooth and pretty I just want to hold it. Thanks again to Dave!

Thanks for the kind words Andy. I am so glad you love it so much. It is a great ukulele and I now miss it :o

1931jim
04-30-2016, 09:34 AM
Thank you for this thread Kyle23,
Lastweek I had a tumble and took some skin off knuckles and wrist as i went down on concrete. Doc said I'll live. Whoopee. Anyways I was sitting by the river close by where I live and strumming and humming in the sunshine out of the wind and it was 52 degrees F an hour or so ago. The starlings, crows, chickadees and blackbirds all were singing to try and drown out my singing and I thought to myself this is as good as it gets. Oh I almost forgot......the uke.?? Why it is a mahogany laminate Cordoba CM concert. Has a beautiful neck, finish inside is a beautiful piece of luthierie by someone in China who had pride in what they were doing. I set up the action over a period of a week or two to just the way a perfectionist like me with a thin wallet likes it. Boy I do ramble on. I enjoy reading about all your experiences. Many thanks.
Sincerely. Jim.
PS: Why do I think it sounds so nice.? The top is .070 inches or 1.78 mm thick. It has a very sweet sound. Aaron put me on to this hidden gem with his review a few years ago..

Dulcilo
10-02-2016, 12:32 PM
To my knowledge, Bryson, there were 40 made of the Taylor koa uke/guitar sets and 50 of the mahogany sets. I have had the privilege of playing both and yes, they are the finest playing ukuleles I've had my hands on. Admittedly, I have not played them against any of the Hawaiian big K brands. But I have owned and played most all the other American guitar maker ukuleles (Breedlove, Larivee, Collings, Martin) and would put the Taylor above all those. They would be perfect for fingerstyle, if your arrangements use a low G.

igorthebarbarian
10-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Greenie's Collings tenor. Amazing

gitarzan
10-02-2016, 05:23 PM
A Folkcraft Druid Moon concert uke owned by Bing Futch. Very loud and just wonderful sounding.

Nickie
10-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Well, I can't recall if I've already chimed in or not.
I just set mine down, my hands are too tired to play anymore tonight.
The uke I am writing about is my latest acquisition, my Cocobolo concert ukulele. I stopped looking for the holy grail. This is it.

Al Davison
10-04-2016, 10:51 AM
That's the same Kanile'a super tenor I just bought from greenie! I love it. I've played a bunch in stores but, the one I own (especially after a professional setup) is absolute the best I've ever played.

SoloRule
10-04-2016, 10:57 AM
LfDM for sure.
The tone stays in my head for weeks ......so I ordered one for myself. Three more weeks it will be in my arm