Favorite Uke You've Ever Played

Kyle23

Reaction score
What's your favorite ukulele you've ever had the pleasure of playing? Not exactly your favorite you've owned, but maybe you picked one up at a music shop and couldn't afford it, but the sound just stuck with you over the years. I would love to hear some stories!

My LfdM both sounds and plays the best I've ever experienced. Even with high tension strings it plays effortlessly. I can play pieces on this instrument without thinking, others I own are not as easy with the same piece. I have come to appreciate this as much or more than the sound.

Last edited:
Every ukulele i learn something new from or is inspirational is my favorite. . :)
Ukes are like friends, each one different and special in their own way

Whichever ukulele is most convenient for me to take places.

Which right now is my Tom 17 inch.

I guess a few notable examples are...

Kamaka Baritone. That thing played like butter and the tone just melted me away. Unfortunately sold it when finances are tough...

Pono Pro-Classic baritone (Cedar top, cutaway with Mi-Si pickup). Oh damn I loved this instrument... but I sold it because at the time I didn't have the sufficient skill to know what difference a high quality instrument made. I convinced myself that it was a waste of money and that I could live with less expensive ukes.

It looks as though I am very much a baritone lover.

I am currently waiting on a Pono Nui baritone to be setup and shipped from The Ukulele Site.
I'm pretty sure that will become my new favourite!

My favorite varyies by what I am playing. Today, I'm playing a Steve vanPelt tenor, as good as they come. Wish Steve was still building ukes.

P1070016.jpgP1070022.jpgP1070027.jpgP1070014.jpg

A bunch of years ago i was hanging out with MusicGuy Mike at a Hawaiian Culture Festival here on the 9th island (Las Vegas). Mike DaSilva was there and I was able to play the prototype he brought of his ca. 1890 Santo reproduction. WOW, it was punchy, loud, and the note clarity was the best i've ever heard.
One day, when i'm not living in the driest county in the driest state...one day...

I learned to play on a Kamaka Tenor with pretty high strings. At one point, it went into the LCM and picked up a flea with a plastic fretboard and I was amazed at how low the strings were and how easy it was to play. I said to the guy working there, "The strings are so low on this uke! And it plays so nice. What's the deal?!" He looked back like, "Umm, yeah."

I have a 50's-ish Martin Style 1 that almost plays itself. Anytime I'm trying out a new song, its my go-to uke. It really helps smooth out the poorly fretted notes.

But, a friend of mine (Charlie at Island Bazaar) brought in a 2000's Kamaka Concert the other day that was just spectacular. No rosettes or binding or bling. It was a just a classic ukulele and a wonderful thing. it sounded so nice....

My Kanile'a...
front.jpg
I found out what "plays like butter" means...:shaka:

Last edited:
It was my tenor African Blackwood/sinker redwood it rang like a harp butI sold it to finance a Ziricote/figured redwood Selmer style uke from Beau Hannam and that will be my favorite go to uke. I also love my Kanilea Premium Koa w/abalone but I'm selling that one also. If interested there is a thread on the Kanile'a with pics....looks more like master grade than premium and sounds gorgeous.

My favourite is my Kanilea K-2 C DLX, a concert ukulele. It has just the perfect sound and the koa is absolutely stunning. I'm also a big fan of my Black Bear soprano.

IMG_1321.jpg

I'm fairly new to the Ukulele catch and release program, and, unfortunately, also an utter fool for quality sound. My "best" are so different with such different niches, I have to list two:

Lo Pranzi Rosewood and Spruce Tenor.
Wide dynamics ( tantalizing sound from soft to very loud ) without distortion. Mid and lows are well-balanced against the highs. Seems to love being finger-picked. Though the fit and finish are fantastic, it is not ravishingly beautiful.

An 8-string I'iwi tenor by Charlie Fukuba. One of the more beautiful fretted instruments I've ever beheld. The three bubbly sound holes make me smile and the finish work gives me that affirmation that this guy knows how to build a Ukulele. The sound, to address the question, comes from some pretty darned high potential energy. So it takes significantly more effort to play compared to a 4-string uke. And it takes a far more carefully-directed right hand to avoid sonic blur. It is, after all, producing 6 pitches if you count the octave G and the octave C. It fills the room. Something like playing a cathedral organ with all the stops pulled. It isn't for every piece of music. But whenever I'm playing anything here at home, on any instrument, it's up on its elbow there in its case with a smile on its face saying, "Gimme the ball - Gimme the ball !!!" And I always want to know how that piece would sound on the CK. Usually, it sounds fantastic. Sometimes it's too fantastic. I don't always want a 32 piece orchestra playing behind my old, ragged voice.

Last edited:
John S Kinnard Walnut / Spruce Baritone. It think it was this one here. Just incredible.

I played that one several times and it was truly very special.

Picking a favorite? That's like picking a favorite child. I can't do it. But the short list would include this Kinnard baritone, my Hive spruce/maple tenor, a Kinnard cedar/EIR tenor that I played, and a Laughlin 2M. I'd probably include a Blackbird Clara on the list, too.

William King super-soprano that I own. Flawless construction, beauty, and playability...and it rings like a bell!

Without a doubt - a Loprinzi long neck soprano that DownUpDave graciously and generously just sold me. I love everything about it - the finish, the neck profile, the Worth CL he put on.......and the tone is unbelievable! As much as I like my laminates, the sound of the Loprinzi is just much richer.
I could never thank him enough for introducing me to my first solid wood uke- I will cherish it for the rest of my life :D.

My LfdM both sounds and plays the best I've ever experienced. Even with high tension strings it plays effortlessly. I can play pieces on this instrument without thinking, others I own are not as easy with the same piece. I have come to appreciate this as much or more than the sound.

LFDM made my playing sound good!
Luis is a magician!

Without a doubt - a Loprinzi long neck soprano that DownUpDave graciously and generously just sold me. I love everything about it - the finish, the neck profile, the Worth CL he put on.......and the tone is unbelievable! As much as I like my laminates, the sound of the Loprinzi is just much richer.
I could never thank him enough for introducing me to my first solid wood uke- I will cherish it for the rest of my life :D.

Dave still has more in his collection. Whisper to me what you want, I will steal it for you. Lol
Yes Dave praised the Loprinzi. I just didn't have the opportunity to try it.
People say if you are good, you can make anything sounds good. Since I am not good, I relay on a good instrument! Thank you Dave for introducing me to many good ukes!

Top Bottom