pretty huge company of guitars and ukes said that they setup ukkuleles but...

Martynas

Reaction score
i asked info@gear4music.com if they setup ukuleles they said yes and i wrote that email to 2 emails of that company so i can get answer faster. and guess what another email said that they dont set up ukes. can someone say what to believe and what to do? :D if there is nothing to do is it possible to setup ukulele on your own?

some companies will say what you want to hear for a sale....setups take an hour or more for a real one and can cost $60.00 or more

I would recommend factoring set-up into your budget - either buy from a dealer who definitely does a free set-up or set aside some of your funds for a trip to a local luthier.

their email - Ukuleles just come with a factory-standard setup.
it means it doesnt come setupped?

usually if it is a import uke..the person who does the setup probably does not even play...:) pretty sure that is a factory setup

It means that the uke comes to their warehouse packed in its box, stays in its box, and leaves in its box. Depending on the instrument it might be fine - but then again it might not be. Cheaper instruments will tend to have the worst 'factory-standard setup' - most notably in the form of a high action.

Well, you're in Europe, so if they sent you something that isn't set up, you can just send it back at their expense. It's fairly safe. :)

Don't freak out lol sometimes even out of the box the Uke won't even need a setup. That's not always the case but it's not the end of the world.

i asked info@gear4music.com Is it possible to setup ukulele on your own?

Yes. It depends on the uke but generally speaking with most modern ukes it's all about adjusting string height at the nut & saddle. There are several YouTube videos and I'm sure several threads on the builder's section of this board.

I think everyone should learn how to do their own setups. Saves you some money plus it just helps you bond with your instrument imho. I've had to learn how do setups for all my instruments (bass, uke, guitar) because I live in a rural area and the only repair guy is about 100 miles away. The only repair guy I trust is 200 miles away.

its more expensive on uk sites because 209 pounds is like 270 euros and its without vat so i would have to pay that at my country customs so 270+ around 55= 325 so i would pay 295 bettah :D but the sad fact they dont set up. i wrote to them dissapointment email so maybe they will think of what i wrote there.

Yes. It depends on the uke but generally speaking with most modern ukes it's all about adjusting string height at the nut & saddle. There are several YouTube videos and I'm sure several threads on the builder's section of this board.

I think everyone should learn how to do their own setups. Saves you some money plus it just helps you bond with your instrument imho. I've had to learn how do setups for all my instruments (bass, uke, guitar) because I live in a rural area and the only repair guy is about 100 miles away. The only repair guy I trust is 200 miles away.

^ This is your answer. If you have any mechanical ability a "simple" setup is pretty easy. Like Captain Simian, I do all my own setup on all my stuff (guitar, bass, uke).

John

I will say that my experience with Kalas that have been bought online have been OK to pretty positive. Many of my students, despite my nagging and recommendations, will still buy a lower end kala online through amazon or a local music shop that does not do setups. Out of the box, the action is somewhat high but not offensive, the intonation is OK but not ear-bleeding offensive, and the frets actually feel OK. While a setup is super beneficial, for cost and shipping, I think you can get away with a Kala bought online with no setup.

Now, if you are able to get yourself into the $200-300 range, you can get yourself a real nicely made and setup instrument with shipping included, and there are plenty of those. If you are looking to keep cost around $50, don't expect a pro grade setup and just buy a boxed uke online (unless its HMS, I believe they still setup their sub $100 ukes).

just wait until you get it and maybe it will play fine, if you have string buzz send it back, if the action is high, you can carefully sand down the saddle a little bit.

Top Bottom