Mainland Tenor

Tuirgin

Reaction score
Cheers to Mainland!

I mentioned in my introductory message a couple weeks ago that in a very brief time playing I am already looking for a step up instrument from my recently purchased laminate. A somewhat limiting budget given by my better half (She-Who-Will-Be-Appeased) put me out of the running for the new Mainland I was looking at. However, on a whim I emailed Mike and asked about seconds, and in less than 2 hours he'd responded and taken my money in exchange for a tenor 2nd. Now if I can just keep buying new ukes every 3 weeks. Er....

Good choice. Very often with Mainland, the flaws that would cause them to be deemed 'seconds' are either indistinguishable, or irrelevant to the sound (which is really the point, right?)

Good choice. Very often with Mainland, the flaws that would cause them to be deemed 'seconds' are either indistinguishable, or irrelevant to the sound (which is really the point, right?)

Yeah, Mike did say it was a "cosmetic second" and I've seen numerous comments from people who have bought these and had trouble determining what caused it to be a second. I'm not too concerned about the cosmetic aspect. So long as the instrument sounds good and has good intonation I'll be happy.

My little laminate has kind of a dull sound to it and, more troubling, the first 2-3 frets are sharp, and after the 5th fret all is flat. I don't want to start trying to address the intonation until I've got a second uke in case I botch the nut and/or saddle.

I had a cosmetic 2nd tenor mahogany. Never really could find the flaw but I wasn't looking too hard. I got rid of it in a move/down-size and regret that one (one of my very few regrets in churning through ukes over the years).

Great choice! I bought cosmetic blems for my sons and I couldn't find the little marks when they arrived. It is a great way to go when you are wanting a good sound on a budget.

My Mainland Mahogany Long Neck Pineapple is a second. Got a great deal on it. There's a tiny little finish crack in the fretboard binding. I seriously doubt anyone would notice it unless I pointed it out. Great little instrument, well set up, and sounds sweet.

I have a second also. Mike even told me where the mar was. I can't see it. Awesome ukulele.

Sounds like you got a great deal! Congrats!

Mike is the man, like mim and andrew.. great dealers with great service and ukes and accessories

All of your comments just make my anticipation even greater. I can't wait to lay my hands on the thing.

How important do you think a hard case & humidifier is for a solid wood uke like the Mainland? I live in Florida and the AC is on greater than 9-10 months out of the year. Heat only comes on if night temps dip really low.

Mainland ukes are great.

I had a painted Mainland "Gecko" uke for years, and it was a cosmetic 2nd.

The paintjob was a little bit sloppy in one part (an extra brushstroke somewhere), but in my opinion, it enhanced the hand-painted look!

Hard cases are an essential for my ukuleles. But it's for the their protection. I'd hate for anything bad to happen to them. And, they need humidity. So you should be checking the humidity in the room where yours live. If it's not above 45%? It would be good to put a humidifier in the cases.

I finally got my Mainland tenor -- the holiday slowed it up by at least a day. I've been playing it all evening. So much better than what I had. It's got good intonation. It sings. It's happy, and so am I.

I managed to find the cosmetic defect. It is really no big deal at all. I had to look closely with good lighting to find it. The only playability complaint I have is with the frets. They're rough and a bit flat in places. Vibrato and bends aren't happening until I finish crowning and polishing them. Not a huge deal. My electric guitar was 2.5 times the cost and needed a good setup and a new nut right out of the gate. The uke really is nice and I'd definitely recommend it to others.

Top Bottom