NBUD another after a year wait.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
The Rondo Hadean solid body mod to a violin body I sent off to Bruce Herron in Michigan a year ago is finally done. Over all it came very well, though the color is darker than I wanted. I also didn't draw up the pickguard the proper size. Going to take it over to Pat Wilkins for paint suggestions, and to Eric's Guitar for another pickguard.

Bruce used butternut wood (white walnut), which has a brownish tint and is why the red stain came out dark. It's feels very good with the longer body, and he did a great job with the thumbrest and mock tailpiece, which actually doesn't hold the strings, they go under the tailpiece and string-through the body like the original.

Haven't decided yet if I'm going to add white stick-on block fret markers in my original design since most Hofner violin styles don't have them.

My original mockup
1 Violin bass block700.jpg

Finished bass
Violin Herron done 700.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is absolutely beautiful!
I am a fan of the Violin bass guitar too.

I simply just use a full sized Violin bass, but I would LOVE to have a unique Ukulele-Bass version like this!
How much did this custom end up costing??

Last edited:
Veeeerrrrrry nice!

Thanks all.

nice! can you put video how it plays?

Maybe, but a bass is so much subject to the amp being used that I'm not sure how useful a video will be to judge the bass sound.

Wow that is absolutely beautiful! I am a fan of the Violin bass guitar too. I simply just use a full sized Violin bass, but I would LOVE to have a unique Ukulele-Bass version like this! How much did this custom end up costing??

The Rondo Hadean Bass Uke UKBE-20 SB was $163.81. The Road Toad Pahoehoe black strings were $24 direct from Road Toad. The tailpiece from GuitarParts.com was $22.90 (though they're much cheaper from AliExpress). The new violin body by Bruce Herron of Blue Star guitar in Michigan was $490. Total of $700.71.

Being too anxious to wait a year in this case, and over seven months for the blue one I had done (by a guy who kept putting mine aside for "more important" clients), I'm now going to Eric's Guitar for build work and to Pat Wilkins for finish work, both so far have done excellent quick work and are within thirty minutes driving from me, ten minutes from each other, so no chance of added delays and possible damage to ship.

Last edited:
Mike, you have an interesting hobby. Your dedication to the U-bass is commendable. Keep going many of us are enjoying going along for the ride.
Cliff

Congratulations Mike. What a beauty. There is nothing like having a good bassist handy during open mic and jam sessions. My wife's favorite uke is her UBass.....

Mike, you have an interesting hobby. Your dedication to the U-bass is commendable. Keep going many of us are enjoying going along for the ride.
Cliff

Congratulations Mike. What a beauty. There is nothing like having a good bassist handy during open mic and jam sessions. My wife's favorite uke is her UBass.....

Thanks, maybe my efforts will inspire some of the manufacturers to expand their lines. I only play ultra short basses, as my signature shows. For the 50 odd years I played guitar, I was often told I should play the bass, but I didn't want to be encumbered by those big electric basses, forget a stand up bass. Then when I started playing uke over three years ago and the leader a year ago asked if anyone would like to learn bass, I found all the bass ukes out there, so I went for it.

Looks great to me! You've put together an impressive collection.

Thanks, maybe my efforts will inspire some of the manufacturers to expand their lines. I only play ultra short basses, as my signature shows.

I can't say whether you'll inspire manufacturers but you've certainly inspired me. I have a few projects in the drawing stages that will hopefully hit the workbench soon. It was your posts that sparked my interest in bass ukes and mods.

and he did a great job with the thumbrest and mock tailpiece, which actually doesn't hold the strings, they go under the tailpiece and string-through the body like the original.

Mike, would it not have worked with the strings being held by the tailpiece?
Just curious-

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, would it not have worked with the strings being held by the tailpiece? Just curious-Mike

There were no tailpieces out there that had large enough channels for the Pahoehoe strings. Rather than try and modify the channels, I felt that just using it decoratively would be the easiest solution. With string-through, there is sure to be enough break over the saddle and tension on the strings.

Glad I've been inspiration Mike.

Top Bottom