truss rod

No it does not have a truss rod. The only manufacture I am aware of that have a truss rod in their ukuleles are Pono. No other make of ukulele that I can think of uses a truss rod.

As Dave said, Pono is the only brand to incorporate a truss rod on all tenor and baritone models. I think there are some models from other companies with a truss rod, including Kala and Makala, but mostly just baritones or guitaleles. From what I know, the model you linked to will not have a truss rod.

Funny as Pono is the only brand ukulele Ive read in these very forums needing a truss rod adjustment bought new.

Most of the luthiers on this site do incorporate a nonadjustable carbon fiber truss rod in their builds. Adjustable truss rods are found on steel stringed guitars and bass guitars where the string tension is much higher than that of a ukulele. I have no fear that my steel stringed KonaBlaster soprano has no truss rod as the strings are not at guitar tension levels.

When is the ukulele arriving? You need to play and enjoy and stop questioning your purchase. You will have more ukuleles than one it is inevitable.

~peace~

For the most part ukuleles don't need truss rods. This from Wikipedia

Truss rods are required for instruments with steel (high tension) strings. Without a truss rod, the guitar's wooden neck would gradually warp (i.e. bend) beyond repair due to applied high tension. Such devices are not normally needed on instruments with lower tension strings, such as the classical guitar, which uses nylon (previously catgut) strings.

Ukuleles don't use steel strings and are under much lower tension than a steel strung guitar. In addition the shorter neck means there will be less tendency to bending under tension of the strings. I suspect Pono's use of a truss rod may be to counter a slightly flexible join of the neck to the body.

Funny as Pono is the only brand ukulele Ive read in these very forums needing a truss rod adjustment bought new.

I would clarify that they are the only ones that CAN perform such an adjustment. Surely, there are many others which might NEED one as well, but simply don't have that option, so you'll just have to go with the neck relief that was built into it - and hope that it will never shift. After all, the usefulness of an adjustable truss rod will only become evident over a longer period of time, when the necks on other ukes may twist and bend. As has been pointed out, though, most ukes will be fine anyway, so I wouldn't be too worried about having a truss rod or not.

Ukuleles and Classical guitars traditionally didn't require a truss rod.
They still don't absolutely need one.

But it does come in very handy.

It is correct to say that ukulele necks are not under as much tension as steel string guitars, so they probably do not strictly need it for structural integrity.

However, it certainly is useful from a setup perspective. Ukulele strings DO give the necks on the ukulele a bow.
You can test this by fretting down the G-string (4th) first fret, and also at the last fret, and see that there is some relief around the middle frets.

When the neck does not have an adjustable truss rod, you have to work with what you have. If the strings (or if you change brand of strings) or the climate conditions causes your neck to shift with either too much relief or backbow, you have to play around with the saddle, nuts, or even change to a set of strings that is lighter or harder tension.

A truss rod makes things easier. You can adjust and straighten your neck to the desired level of neck relief.
As someone who also plays and collects guitars, a truss rod is certainly a favourable feature in an ukulele, and I do notice the shortcomings of not having one when it comes to a meticulous setup.

This is the same reason why I avoid steel-string electric ukuleles that don't have truss rods. I've heard the "but they don't require one due to low tensions" story before, but that's not the only reason for a truss rod. Wood always bends when it has strings on it, and an adjustable truss rod gives more options and peace of mind. I think the real reason why some steel-string electric ukuleles don't come with truss rods is not because they really wouldn't benefit from having one, but the added difficulty in manufacture.

Pono ukuleles are some of the best factory produced ukuleles on the market today. The fact that their tenors and baritones come with adjustable truss rods does not mean they need more setting up than other ukuleles. It means that all ukuleles (and guitars) usually need some truss rod adjustment when it leaves the factory and is at the store. For the vast majority of ukuleles, they simply don't have one due to tradition. From a utilitarian perspective, it makes sense to have one.

Godin Multi-ukes also come with truss rods. As do newer models of Kala (and Makala?) baritones. I was at the music store a few weeks back and played a Kala all solid mahogany baritone with a truss rod.

Last edited:
I would clarify that they are the only ones that CAN perform such an adjustment. Surely, there are many others which might NEED one as well, but simply don't have that option, so you'll just have to go with the neck relief that was built into it - and hope that it will never shift. After all, the usefulness of an adjustable truss rod will only become evident over a longer period of time, when the necks on other ukes may twist and bend.

Of course another way of looking at things is a basically unnecessary adjustment only adds further complication to a rather simple brand new instrument. :)

The luthiers which include a carbon fiber or hard wood truss rod seem to have no issue with building to tolerance and for longevity with no available adjustment. Of course these instruments are more costly than the previously mentioned Kala.

As has been pointed out, though, most ukes will be fine anyway, so I wouldn't be too worried about having a truss rod or not.

See you agree after all the argument for the sake of arguing presented. Me I prefer to keep things to facts and simplified for easy understanding by all.

Bottom line the PO's ukulele of choice doesn't need a truss rod adjustable or not and shouldn't effect a their decision or make them regret any purchase. I also consider it a fairly lame selling point, in the hierarchy of commercially available ukuleles my old Koaloha concert doesn't have any truss rod that I am aware of and I expect it to outlive myself.

While all this was fun lets not also rule out fact that guitar necks still twist and warp even with adjustable truss rods. Some simply because the adjustable truss rod was misunderstood and abused.

~A1~

Having done setups on instruments from a soprano ukulele to a 35" scale bass, I understand truss rods and how to set relief using automotive feeler gauges. I even have a Rickenbacker with 2 truss rods in the neck.

For a ukulele I would not really want one. Not because I think it is totally worthless, (I don't want to debate string tension, vintage instruments, and current low quality wood), but because I really don't want to add a hunk of metal in the neck of a ukulele. There is a balance that has to be maintained and if a truss rod effects the balance then it's merits are probably not worth it. But if the ukulele feels right with a truss rod then it is not a factor and the discussion is a moot point.

My preference from best (highest cost) to least (lowest cost) would be the use of carbon fiber rods, then quartersawn 2 piece necks w/o rods, and then a slab neck. Most of my ukuleles are slab necks and I haven't had any problems.

In all honesty... on ukuleles, I would imagine there are more issues with poor fret leveling than neck relief.

John

Last edited:
If it's offered, I'd pick a truss rod every time.

Saying you don't "need" a truss is saying you don't "need" to adjust action/relief ever.
I don't agree.

Even if the weather is constant, if you go from a lower tension set to a higher tension set, you're going to bend the neck more. If you have a truss, you can compensate it. If you don't have one, you have to lower the saddle to get a similar action, but even so, it's not the same, cuz you're dealing with more bow now.

For the most part we don't think about it, and to that extent maybe it's ok.
But a truss does something, and I like it.

Top Bottom