Strings for linear tuning of soprano or concert Uke?

garybeck

Reaction score
Hello
I'm pretty new to Ukes, but i've been playing guitar for a long time. I have a soprano that I like but my son ran over it with the car, so I'm shopping a new one. I will most likely either get a soprano or a concert. I like the higher tuning and pitch. however I am not a fan of the re-entrant tuning. So I prefer linear tuning.
My question is, what is the best string to use for that G (lowest) string? If I buy a pack of uke strings, the G is assumed to be an octave higher so the string is sized accordingly.
Can anyone recommend what kind of string I should use for the G with linear tuning on a soprano or concert uke?
thanks!
gary in vermont

I'd recommend going for a concert scale rather than soprano for low G (there's another thread elsewhere addressing low G on soprano that you might want to check out). I use Fremont Soloist low G strings on my concert uke and love them. These work on any scale, but in my experience all low G sounds dull and thuddy on soprano scale - but YMMV.

I just strung my concert up with aquilas low g, nylguts. Sounds pretty good, lots of bass that I'm not used to yet...

I'd recommend going for a concert scale rather than soprano for low G (there's another thread elsewhere addressing low G on soprano that you might want to check out). I use Fremont Soloist low G strings on my concert uke and love them. These work on any scale, but in my experience all low G sounds dull and thuddy on soprano scale - but YMMV.

+1 to all of this. Concert will work better with low g - it's SCIENCE :p I currently have two concert ukes, both strung low g and have previously used the Fremont soloist wound low-g mentioned above and would also recommend it. I am currently using a d'Addario silver wound classical guitar string (NYL026) and slightly prefer it. The disadvantages of using a wound low g are that it will squeak a bit. The disadvantages of using an unwound low g (fluorocarbon) are that you may have to adjust the nut slot and it may be a bit thuddy and floppy when played.

Hello
I'm pretty new to Ukes, but i've been playing guitar for a long time. I have a soprano that I like but my son ran over it with the car, so I'm shopping a new one. I will most likely either get a soprano or a concert. I like the higher tuning and pitch. however I am not a fan of the re-entrant tuning. So I prefer linear tuning.
My question is, what is the best string to use for that G (lowest) string? If I buy a pack of uke strings, the G is assumed to be an octave higher so the string is sized accordingly.
Can anyone recommend what kind of string I should use for the G with linear tuning on a soprano or concert uke?
thanks!
gary in vermont

I see nobody actually answered your question. You can either buy a special "Low G" soprano string set, or simply use the D string from any classical guitar set.

Aquila makes a Nylgut set with a wound low G string.

And to the comments as to this or that size being "better", or "science" saying whatever... let your ear and fingers be the judge. Many ukulele players, better musicians than probably anyone in this forum, have chosen low G and produced excellent music.

Science?? LOL. What does your "science" tell you about the 4/4 violin?

I'd recommend going for a concert scale rather than soprano for low G (there's another thread elsewhere addressing low G on soprano that you might want to check out).

I'd agree with this ... I use the appropriate set of Aquila "reds" on my Kala concert tuned low-G, a very satisfactory combination :)

I have a Fremont Soloist low G on a soprano and also the Aquila red series in low G on a super soprano. Those are my go to strings for low g on sopranos. Other sets I've found to be too thuddy

I'd agree with this ... I use the appropriate set of Aquila "reds" on my Kala concert tuned low-G, a very satisfactory combination :)

I'll second the Aquila Reds suggestion. That said, I ordered a PHD low G set yesterday. More can be found in my Kala KA-ACP-CTG review.

Hello
thanks!
gary in vermont

Hi Gary,

I've tried linear tuning on a few sopranos and haven't liked it. Your ears might! It's partly personal preference, which you can only figure out by experimenting, and partly what sounds good on your particular uke - again, mostly an experiment.

Like Janeray and others, I like the Fremont soloist string, on a concert in my case. I've also used a similar La Bella string. That one is labeled as con/ten (concert/tenor) low G and is polished. I haven't tried it on a soprano.

One factor is whether you prefer wound or nonwound strings. Maybe you have no preference, and that will widen your string options. For me, I prefer nonwound, or wound/polished, so my choices are more limited. I like Living Water strings, but the single low G string is approx. $4.something... A little too rich for my wallet... I'm playing a Fremont Clear low G right now, and I like it. Unlike the soloist string, this one is clear fluorocarbon, no winding or polish.

I've never had to modify a nut slot for any low G. But that may depend on the uke.

Good luck, hope you find something that plays and sounds good to you!

I would suggest a concert scale also, low G strings can be purchased separately, or have the seller put one on for you.

(My personal choice is Living Water low G strings.)

+1 on the concert and why not just buy a Low G string set, like, D'Addario Carbons, PhD, Fremont Black lines, etc. I've tried these and they all work out, depending on your Uke.

The concert gives you a little more room on the fret board, a little better sustain and volume. If you are not looking for a soprano plinky sound, why not get a concert?

... I have a soprano that I like but my son ran over it with the car, so I'm shopping a new one. I will most likely either get a soprano or a concert.

...what is the best string to use for that G (lowest) string?

Uh, maybe your son doesn't care for the ukulele? ;-)

I would try a single Aquila Red Low G to start. They don't require a larger nut slot like a wound string often does. It will set you back all of $2 from Strings by Mail.

When you get your new uke, watch your son closely!

Best, Eddie

Agree to concert. If you were going tenor I'd suggest South Coast linear strings, big fan of their wound bases, but like others had a great experience with Aquila Reds on a concert.

Welcome to the Uke Side... converting guitarists since 1879. ;)

I would try a single Aquila Red Low G to start. They don't require a larger nut slot like a wound string often does.

I think you have that backwards... the Aquila Red soprano Low G string is 0.037", your typical wound Low G string is 0.028".

And I notice that they have this note for the whole Red set: "*Warning: these sets are composed by plain RED SERIES® strings and wound strings. Unfortunately the set with all RED SERIES® strings is not acoustically balanced."

I think you have that backwards... the Aquila Red soprano Low G string is 0.037", your typical wound Low G string is 0.028".

And I notice that they have this note for the whole Red set: "*Warning: these sets are composed by plain RED SERIES® strings and wound strings. Unfortunately the set with all RED SERIES® strings is not acoustically balanced."

Thanks for pointing that out -- I hate to be the source of mis-information! I should have been more careful and said "sometimes does" vs. "often does." I have never had a Red Low G not fit an existing slot, I have had wound strings not fit in a number of cases. Maybe it was specific to a brand. Of course, non-wound strings other than Reds are far fatter.

For the Red Low G, I use it as a single string with fluorocarbons regularly. I have also used the Reds with wound 3rd and 4th (have them on my Kamaka baritone).

Interesting on that note, have never noticed it before. I'm fine with wound strings on tenor and baritone but tend to not like them on smaller instruments. So for a soprano set up linear tuning, I would likely use the single Red low G with a fluorocarbon set.

I've used a D'Addarrio NYL026W on my concerts for years. I like it very much. I like the Fremont Soloist, too.

I have a Living Water low G set on my concert (all fluorocarbon) and it sounds good to me. Everyone has their own preferences so you may have to try a few to find what sounds best to you.

Worth are definitely my favorite for my concerts.

I don't understand the post which says that a set of all reds is not balanced. I have a banjo mandolin with an 11 inch head strung with all red Aquila gCEA, and it certainly is balanced, and projects! I have two Eddy-Finn Travel ukes strung GCEA and gCEA. some songs sound better with one than the other . with reentrant tuning (4) 0 2 4 (3) 0 just is about as soothing as fingernailss on a chalkboard, but linear (4) 0 2 4 (3) 0 for songs like 'Froggy went a courtin', it has the needed continuity of the progression.. yet... I have some songs I fingerpick, and to not have the rentrant g absolutely ruins the rhythm to have g above middle c on the third fret of the second string. Why do we not use terms like appropriate and inappropriate? I play a trombone and a wrap around bass horn. BOTH are inappropriate for trying to calm babies down to go to sleep. but for the Sousa march Stars and Stripes, ain't no stringing on a uke is gonna git er done! This is about as personal a choice as having your own husband or wife. Some people prefer buttermilk to beer. All of the letters used to spell beer are also in buttermilk (yes the e needs to be doubled) so why not just accept individual differences for size of instrument and choice of strings? I really like gCEa, even on a soprano. It really takes people by surprise. fCFA or fCFa get some smiles, and from others sneers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom