Tuner for Ipad

Cassie

Reaction score
Are there any tuning apps for iPad? I want one that you don't have to sit and press the button every time to make sure it's on key. I don't have a gift card to pay for one. Mahalo.:)

Peterson's iStroboSoft is great on my iPhone. In addition to the base app, they sell sweetened tunings as add-ons. There are other add-ons as well, but I've not used any of them.

Huge istrobosoft fan here. I've got the upgraded tuner tools and the harmonics tuning and they are excellent diagnostic tools as well.

Huge istrobosoft fan here. I've got the upgraded tuner tools and the harmonics tuning and they are excellent diagnostic tools as well.

Just out of curiosity, how are you using the harmonics tuning? Once upon a time I worked for a steel drum builder who used one of the pricey Peterson hardware units with overtone analysis to get all the overtones tuned in on the steel drums. What other kinds of uses would that tool have?

Just out of curiosity, how are you using the harmonics tuning? Once upon a time I worked for a steel drum builder who used one of the pricey Peterson hardware units with overtone analysis to get all the overtones tuned in on the steel drums. What other kinds of uses would that tool have?

It's been great to diagnose bad strings. I teach uke and have to maintain about 60 instruments. A string won't ring in the upper harmonics when it starts to deaden out due to wear. Same thing for a string that may have a bad winding.

I'm finding it pretty revealing top of the overall resonance of an instrument. A quality instrument gets you nice even harmonics that all lock in, a lesser quality instrument has less ring up top or the intonation is very uneven from the 1st-5th harmonic.

Being able to see how in tune each harmonic is, vs just using the fundamental, can dial you in further if you're into that kind of thing. You'll find that though the fundamental may be in tune, the 3rd harmonic may be the loudest partial and is slightly out of tune, so you tune that string to its 3rd harmonic and you get it locked in a little better.

I'm afraid I don't have cash like I said before. Is there a smaller version?

It's $10 which app wise is expensive but cheaper than a clip on. I was able to get mine when it was on a special sale for $0.99!

It's been great to diagnose bad strings. I teach uke and have to maintain about 60 instruments. A string won't ring in the upper harmonics when it starts to deaden out due to wear. Same thing for a string that may have a bad winding.

I'm finding it pretty revealing top of the overall resonance of an instrument. A quality instrument gets you nice even harmonics that all lock in, a lesser quality instrument has less ring up top or the intonation is very uneven from the 1st-5th harmonic.

Being able to see how in tune each harmonic is, vs just using the fundamental, can dial you in further if you're into that kind of thing. You'll find that though the fundamental may be in tune, the 3rd harmonic may be the loudest partial and is slightly out of tune, so you tune that string to its 3rd harmonic and you get it locked in a little better.

Okay, that makes sense. I'm assuming that the lack of overtones is one of the reasons cheaper laminates sound a little more dead. Thanks for the explanation. Very useful.

I use Tunable, which also doubles as a metronome. Very reliable. (I mostly use it as a metronome, since I prefer clip-on tuners for tuning.)

You could look into a tuning fork, too. Very inexpensive and independent of a device, electricity, ability to read the display, etc.

Another vote for insTuner. I mostly use it for my flute, whistle and recorder and prefer clip on tuners for the ukulele.

I have been using PanoTuner, which is a free app. I also have
TunerLite (free) which is just okay. I just downloaded insTuner, based on the recommendations here.

I noticed that TunerLite and insTuner will give a audible A4 tone which is the A string on a ukulele. I usually use the meter, but having the tone allows someone to tune the A string audibly like a tuning fork and then tune the rest of the strings from there.

John

I got TC polytune ios app and love it.

The only one I found was Talking Tuner. It does not have a lot of reviews, but the reviews are good. It is not free, but at $.99 it is about as close as you can get. The good thing is that you don't need to see the screen to see if you are in tune. You should check it out as it seems to be what you are looking for.

John

I prefer a clip on tuner, because it will work in a noisy room. It is just quick and easy, and I don't have to leave OnSong playlists to check my tuning between songs.

–Lori

Top Bottom