NUD - Koaloha Concert (My Dream Uke)

Kyle23

Reaction score
I started playing the ukulele 3 years ago and within days of getting my first uke, a Koaloha concert was my absolute dream instrument. Multiple times a week for hours at a time I would watch videos and read reviews about Koaloha, but I could never justify spending so much on one. I found a good deal on one in the UU marketplace (or so I thought) and pulled the trigger. I'm disappointed, not in Koaloha, but a previous owner. Somewhere along the way, someone tried and failed to refinish the top and back of it. You can't tell from the pictures, but in person it's very obvious. It really took away from my excitement. I even made an unboxing video of it, but I got rid of it because my reaction wasn't too great. The sound is amazing however and I really like the uke, but I wish the finish was just left alone. It's still very beautiful and I'm happy with it because I paid $475 which is lower than I've usually seen. I'm wondering if I could possibly do something to fix it or maybe Koaloha can, but I'm sure this voids any warranty that it is. That also bums me out because I probably can probably never take advantage of the lifetime warranty now. Anyways, here are a few pics

IMG_2731.jpgIMG_2735.jpgIMG_2737.jpg

Quick update - After playing it for a few hours, it feels and sounds amazing. I'm really attached to it and the initial disappointment wore off a lot. I'm going to look into getting it refinished, but for now all I can say is it's really great otherwise.

Last edited:
It looks like a lovely instrument. I would contact KoAloha - you have nothing to lose and if they know how much of a dream uke this is for you, they may be able to help you out. I am writing a book about them right now, and I have to tell you, their customer service and warranty are unparalleled. I have been hearing lots of stories about their aloha. Be sure to tell them how much this uke means to you and keep us posted on what happens. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
It looks like a lovely instrument. I would contact KoAloha - you have nothing to lose and if they know how much of a dream uke this is for you, they may be able to help you out. I am writing a book about them right now, and I have to tell you, their customer service and warranty are unparalleled. I gave been hearing lots of stories about their aloha. Be sure to tell them how much this uke means to you and keep us posted on what happens. Good luck. :)

Thanks a lot for the advice. I emailed them over a week ago about factory second ukes and they never got back to me so I'm not sure if they are getting to their emails :(

In my experience, both Koaloha and Kamaka are pretty difficult to get a response from by email. I'd recommend going old-school and calling them :)

Ahhh I was dreading that, but I may have to. I'm not a very good speaker, so I try to avoid all phone calls haha. I've really fallen for this uke, it sounds so damn good. It's loud too. I just wish I was 100% happy.

Everything I've heard about KoAloha is that they are great folks. Be patient.

why don't you just return it to the seller if you are not happy.....save some more money and get what you want....a new one would be good.....you get what you pay for? i know Ko'aloha will replace it if you have problems with the build...not sure about wear...the guy trying to repair the finish not a good idea...but no harm in asking

btw if the uke was a "second" it will have a black mark on the label...what is the date it was built looks like an older one

my 2 cents

Last edited:
why don't you just return it to the seller if you are not happy.....save some more money and get what you want....a new one would be good.....you get what you pay for? i know Ko'aloha will replace if you have problems with the build...not sure about wear...the guy trying to repair the finish not a good idea...but no harm in asking

my 2 cents

I really love how it feels and plays. It didn't take me long to get attached to it. Even if Koaloha can give me some kind of advice on how to fix it, I'll be willing to try.

I really love how it feels and plays. It didn't take me long to get attached to it. Even if Koaloha can give me some kind of advice on how to fix it, I'll be willing to try.

looks like you just need it to be refinished...ask a luthier close to you to see what can be done.....if it sounds good keep it...older Ko'aloha ukes were known for a dull finish..the new ones are more gloss than the older ones... it was always about tone with them..only now are they using nicer wood and a gloss finish.....

looks like you just need it to be refinished...ask a luthier close to you to see what can be done.....if it sounds good keep it...older Ko'aloha ukes were known for a dull finish..the new ones are more gloss than the older ones... it was always about tone with them..only now are they using nicer wood and a gloss finish.....

For sure, the finish was the only issue. As an instrument as a whole, I'm very happy with it. Just the initial shock of opening it and not seeing what I was expecting. My friend actually gave me the number of a trusted luthier he uses, but he isn't sure if he finishes instruments. So definitely more to come.

For sure, the finish was the only issue. As an instrument as a whole, I'm very happy with it. Just the initial shock of opening it and not seeing what I was expecting. My friend actually gave me the number of a trusted luthier he uses, but he isn't sure if he finishes instruments. So definitely more to come.

good luck hope you can get it refinished..don't think sending to Ko'aloha worth it as you got to pay the shipping.....in general out of the 3 K brands..Kanile'a has the nicest koa and the best finish....

good luck hope you can get it refinished..don't think sending to Ko'aloha worth it as you got to pay the shipping.....in general out of the 3 K brands..Kanile'a has the nicest koa and the best finish....

Appreciate it. This isn't really how I expected my NUD Koaloha thread would go if I ever got one, but hey things happen.

Sorry to hear it was aesthetically disappointing, but glad you love it on the two fronts: acoustically and playability.

If the prior owner offered you a return option, you should consider it. And even if they didn't, if it wasn't disclosed, you should discuss it with them privately. Maybe finding out what they did will help a luthier advise on your options.

Regardless of what you decide, best of luck!

Sorry to hear it was aesthetically disappointing, but glad you love it on the two fronts: acoustically and playability.

If the prior owner offered you a return option, you should consider it. And even if they didn't, if it wasn't disclosed, you should discuss it with them privately. Maybe finding out what they did will help a luthier advise on your options.

Regardless of what you decide, best of luck!

I'm 95% sure I'm going to keep it. I get pretty attached, very quickly. I don't plan to ever resell so I'm not worried about the resale value, so it's just peace of mind for me and I'm definitely getting there. I'll see what happens, but I don't want to return.

The photos look lovely, but I understand you not being satisfied with what you though you would be getting. For a great price, you have a wonderful sounding instrument from an incredible company. I say play it and love it until you reach your solution.

The photos look lovely, but I understand you not being satisfied with what you though you would be getting. For a great price, you have a wonderful sounding instrument from an incredible company. I say play it and love it until you reach your solution.

It does look good regardless, but in person it's more clear to see the flaw. It's very loud I must say.

Knowing myself I would return it if I could and if not possible, refinish it at a luthier.
Actually, my current uke has a misaligned brace inside, which bothered me a bit but I've been able to see past it because it sounds awesome and is otherwise flawlessly built. Maybe I'm improving =)?

Knowing myself I would return it if I could and if not possible, refinish it at a luthier.
Actually, my current uke has a misaligned brace inside, which bothered me a bit but I've been able to see past it because it sounds awesome and is otherwise flawlessly built. Maybe I'm improving =)?

I'm sure you're improving! I'm going to keep it for sure, love it to death already. Just needed a few hours to process it all. It's been a busy week!

I have bought two ukuleles that had unpleasant "suprises upon inspection. The first time I was very upset like you were, connected the seller and they agreed to a return. But man it was a player and the sound was to die for. After about a week I stopped noticing the defects because it had become an instrument I was happy making music with. I kept that uke and when i received another with issues I ended up keeping that one as well.

When you get attached to something you stop noticing the flaws. I think that might be why my wife hasn't left me yet

Last edited:
Top Bottom