D'addario ej53s black nylon - some questions

Pier

Reaction score
Hi! After a little string trial (trying Aquila new nylgut, super nylgut and d'addario ej99sc carbon) I settled on the D'addario carbon for my ohana sk38 and Aquila new nylgut on my cheap laminate.

However, listening to some old recordings made with the laminate, I really liked the sound it had with its stock black nylon strings.
So I was thinking about stringing it back with black nylons, and due to the fact that the D'addario carbon are so good (balanced tension and perfect intonation), I wanted to try their EJ53S.
However, the cheapest I could get them in Italy, both buying from Italy or from outside, is around 15 euros, that its a bit high.

Before buying them, I'd like to ask you something :

First of all, can I make two sets from one pack? With carbon EJ99SC I can, paying attention in cutting the less I can.
If I could do it with black nylons, the high price would be less of a problem, and I could try them on the Ohana too.

Second, how hard are they? The listed tension is 38lbs, against the 25lbs of the carbons... Will they be too hard to play? I like a low action, and botg my ukuleles allow me to use 2mm action (12th fret), but I'm afraid they can be too tight.
The stock set was thin, and with less tension than Aquilas...

For what style would you raccomand this set? Do they have a nice volume and a decent tone? Will the strummed notes be clear enough, or I'll get only mud?

This uke is too bright with Aquilas, and even more with Carbons, but I prefer a mellow and dampened sound on this uke.
The ohana sings with the carbons, and Aquilas make it too boomy and confused...

Thanks a lot!

I just put some ej53's on my Werco banjo uke. So far I like them, they don't seem to overdrive the head like other strings did. I'm 99% you can get 2 sets out of them. I measured the remaining strings and it does appear that I could make a 2nd set out of them.

anyone tried these out?

I just ordered a set from Amazon, because they finally lowered the price (10 euros), and I was getting bored with the fluorocarbon, don't know why, ahahha! tomorrow they'll arrive, but in the meanwhile, if someone tried them, I'm curious about how they sound and in particular about the tension.

by far I've only used Aquilas New and Super Nylgut and D'addario EJ99sc, and they are all low in tension... from the lowest to the highest, New Nylgut, D'Addario and Super Nylgut.

in particular, I'm a bit afraid of the C string being bigger (040), but with a huge difference in tension compared to the other strings.

the other option was GHS H10 strings, but again, they are now priced 12 euros, and I don't want to spend that much, so I bought the D'Addario to try them out. I really hope that they actually are long enough for two sets.

PS: the GHS "soprano" set have the same gauges of the D'Addario concert set, talking about black nylons.

and than they arrived! :D you can easy get two sets out of a packet, the strings are extremely long. I mounted them being the most precise I could with the knot at the bridge and the lenght on the tuners (3 or 4 windings), and using the second half I will have a couple of inches to cut.

I mounted them on my Ohana SK38, and they are really strange:

first of all, I thought they would be hard, but the tension is nothing near to "hard". they are easy to press and to bend. in particular the C string, even if it's a 040, it's soft and buzzes a bit, like with D'Addario Carbon and Aquila New Nylgut. the Super Nylgut are stiffer and don't buzz, but the intonation is slightly off.
they are bigger, but not stiffer, and it seems like it's a lot easier to play, even in upper positions and strange chord shapes.

they are "rough". I knew it, because rectified nylon has a bit of a texture, and the fingers make some noise sliding on the strings. however it's not "bad", and I already got used to this feeling.

they are mellow, and the spectrum probably counts only mids and basses, no highs at all. it's kind of a "vintage" sound, plucky and with short sustain, but a bit confused strumming fast.

the overall tension is pretty balanced, and the A string is similar in tension to the G string. I expected to see the neck bowing under the 39lbs of tension, compared to the 25lbs of the carbons, but it didn't happen, and as I was saying, the tension is right and it's all playable.

I don't know if I like them on this uke, because It's mellow by itself, and with these strings it sounds a bit dull, but they are so comfortable that I don't know if I want to change them.
I'll try soon on the cheap laminate Arrow.

here are some samples, recorded with the phone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9rc2wxkn...rio EJ53s - Everyone says I love you.m4a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuv9a35ohk4qj7w/Ohana sk38 - D'Addario EJ53s - Il Pinguino.m4a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/neig0hq4zulj7bv/Ohana sk38 - D'Addario EJ53s - L'ambasciatore.m4a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2gdp7hxtl92w8y/Ohana sk38 - D'Addario EJ53s - Super Mario Theme.m4a?dl=0

I'm answering all by myself :D however, this one must be told:

the in-topic set of D'Addario was my favourite set so far, but since I like to switch strings and retry some sets I keep in the drawer occasionally, I had to restring them days ago. the A and the G are very similar in gauge, and the black colour doesn't help distinguishing them, so I picked up my digital caliber and measured them. It's a thing I often do with strings, in particular with the bass guitar, because many "advertised" gauges aren't real (FE: Rotosound Swing, advertised 45-65-80-105 are actually 48-63-82-103, but it's easier to sell a 45-105).
measuring the G and A strings I noticed that they were smaller than the declared gauge, exactly .026 and .028, like the Concert set. I measured the other two strings, and they still matched the Concert set.

so I wrote to D'Addario asking if it was an error, or the strings were just advertised with a different gauge. They told me that it was an error, and sent me a new set that I promptly measured, and it was the Soprano set, 28-33-40-29.

other than sending a big thank to D'Addario (the strings arrived in Italy in less than a week!), I'd like to add some impressions:

the new set is perfect for the soprano, and if I had some buzzes on the C string with the previous set, with this new one there are none. also, the texture is smoother and the intonation is more precise.

Top Bottom