resonator scale length

dwh

Reaction score
I am going to get my first resonator uke. If you were going to get one, what size would you choose? I have non-reso ukes in soprano, concert, and tenor sizes, but no baritone ukes. I'm torn between getting a tenor, or a baritone? The tenor scale length is probably my favorite, but a baritone would fill the void. So....what say yee, and why?

I'd get a traditional baritone and forget the resonator.

But that's just me...wild as a March hare.

🐰

Why begin with something untried, and unproven? Wanting to start with a tenor or baritone resonator seems to me to be a recipe for failure. If you do not like a baritone resonator, is it because you do not like the baritone or the resonator system on it? Why not just take steps one at a time? Since you are familiar with the concert scale, why not start with a concert resonator? You will have a bigger choice of used ones, and also a larger choice of new ones.. another option is a resonator mandolin strung either 4 or 8 as linear or reentrant ukulele. I have a 1929 DoBro made single cone, claro walnut body resonator mandolin tuned gG CC EE Aa. As I am writing this, I am wondering about how to make C and E with the octaves as well. My Chrome plated Johnson concert resonator has Aquila red gCEA, and my DoMo galvo concert resonator is GCEA. I would not want to start with two unfamiliar things---the effect of the resonator, and the scale of a baritone. The choices are you will like both -- like neither -- like the sound but not the scale -- like the scale but not the sound. Chances of satisfaction ? 25% Go with a scale you know and add the reso effect..... you either like the sound or do not. Chances of satisfaction ? 50%.

Get a bari, make a cigarbox reso

I don't thinks it's a percentage dilemma per we. I've played guitar for decades and know the baritone scale length. I own parlor guitars and have played a few tenor guitars in my day. A buddy just got a nice national reso guitar and I figured I might get a reso uke. I guess I was wondering if there was a big difference in people's preference for scale length on a reso uke. I'll try to find some to try first, but they're not plentiful in these here parts. I'm leaning towards the tenor.

If you want an 'off the shelf' resonator ukulele, concert is about the only size available (Recording King, Gretsch, Ashbury, Luna, Republic, NRP...). Sopranos, tenors and baritone are - to my knowledge - only custom built. The exceptions being the 1990s and 2000s soprano NRPs, and on the other end the current Beltona, Kala, Risa and Koki'o tenors.

I built a cigar box reso, concert scale. Easy,as the neck making
was the only tricky bit! I used a bolt on method of fixing the neck
to the box, and it screams as loud as any uke I ever heard, OR
purrs as gently as I want it to!

I am not aware of baritone size resonators, but I have not seen them all.
It looks like you are only a few hours drive from National Guitars. If you can afford it, that is the brand I would choose, and I would try to get it factory direct if I lived so close. But I think they have concert size only.

Quite ironic, I just happen to be on a road trip, read your post, and looked up national's location. I didn't know national was located in SLO. Just so happens I'm in a hotel in San Luis Obispo now! I may just go check it out.

Addendum:Just found out it is closed to the public.

Last edited:
If you want an 'off the shelf' resonator ukulele, concert is about the only size available (Recording King, Gretsch, Ashbury, Luna, Republic, NRP...). Sopranos, tenors and baritone are - to my knowledge - only custom built. The exceptions being the 1990s and 2000s soprano NRPs, and on the other end the current Beltona, Kala, Risa and Koki'o tenors.

Kala Tenor Reso's are readily available for less than $300 "off the shelf". I have a concert Kala reso I will likely get rid of.

Top Bottom