concert or tenor??/

Martynas

Reaction score
Hello im beginner and im going to buy my first ukulele and im thinking which size is better for beginner? also ill send you few links of ukuleles id like to buy so you can offer which one is better
1. http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/200-399/pono-ac-acacia-concert.html
2.http://www.southernukulelestore.co....Solid-Acacia-Electro-Acoustic-Concert-Ukulele
3.http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...on-all-solid-spruce-rosewood-mango-tenor.html
4.http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/200-399/cordoba-30t-solid-mahogany-tenor-package.html
i cant afford more expensive ukes than 400dollars. if you know something else with good price pls put link in comments
:drool::drool::drool:

I'll save the better choice for others. Those are all good Uke manufactures.

As far as size goes, the tenor will typically give you a bigger sound. If you plan to travel with it, the concert is easier to travel with.

Good luck!

ha so you dont think its worth to buy those old ukes or its ok? i wont travel with it just practice and play for fun at home. so im asking which is more comfortable and better for beginner

You have been making a LOT of posts lately, asking the same questions over and over, constantly doubting yourself.
Make up your own mind. Stop asking people to tell you what to do!

There's no objectively "better" ukulele. You need to choose for yourself what you like.
If you ask 1000 people, you will get 1000 unique answers. There's no right answer.

Is concert or tenor better for beginner?
There's no answer to that. A beginner can begin with any size ukulele.

Should you buy a cheap ukulele first? Or go straight for a higher quality one?

Well what do you think? You buy a cheap ukulele, you will get cheap quality. It may be good enough to 'test' what an ukulele is like, but it will be nowhere as good as a $400 one. What are the pros and cons of that? For goodness sake, think about it.

What would I buy if I had $400?
I would get this:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mt-mahogany-tenor.html

But not because it's the ultimate choice that everyone should pick. But because I personally like the features of this uke:

-All solid mahogany giving a rich, deep tone
-Impressed with Pono's products
-Adjustable truss rod is nifty (but not compulsory) feature in my opinion
-Sound sample video is great!
-The Ukulele Site will do a setup for optimal playing.
-I like tenors.
-The description on the website says they reckon it's one of the best sounding ukuleles for that price. I agree with them.

Last edited:
Here's a novel idea go to a store and play both sizes and see which you like better.

I know what's it's like to go back and forth, back and forth. My sympathies ��. In my opinion, (and I've been playing for about 3 years now and have played a variety of brands and sizes), the KoAloha Opio and Pono brands are the best in your price range. My first choice would be the KoAloha Opio and second choice would be the Pono MT that Kissing suggested. I once owned the Pono acacia tenor and it was a good ukulele, I think, but I didn't love it's tone. Currently, among other ukuleles, I own the Pono MB- the baritone version of the Pono MT and I love it's deep rich tone.

Here's a novel idea go to a store and play both sizes and see which you like better.

I agree. What's comfortable for one person is uncomfortable for another. $400 will buy a nice uke, no matter what size.

You have been making a LOT of posts lately, asking the same questions over and over, constantly doubting yourself.
Make up your own mind. Stop asking people to tell you what to do!

There's no objectively "better" ukulele. You need to choose for yourself what you like.
If you ask 1000 people, you will get 1000 unique answers. There's no right answer.

I think this comes across as a little harsh - although perhaps a single thread might have served the OP just as well ;)

Certainly there is no objectively 'better' but if you asked 1000 people I would think it highly unlikely that you would get 1000 unique answers. Much more likely is that you would see some consensus begin to emerge. The OP has had considerable fewer than 1000 responses to his various questions and already there can be seen a lean toward the Pono and Kala brands. Surely that's a valuable function of a forum like this. And I feel that people shouldn't be discouraged from accessing the hive mind :)

Edit: I post from the perspective of someone very familiar with 'pre-significant-purchase-anxiety-syndrome'.

Last edited:
I think this comes across as a little harsh - although perhaps a single thread might have served the OP just as well ;)

Certainly there is no objectively 'better' but if you asked 1000 people I would think it highly unlikely that you would get 1000 unique answers. Much more likely is that you would see some consensus begin to emerge. The OP has had considerable fewer than 1000 responses to his various questions and already there can be seen a lean toward the Pono and Kala brands. Surely that's a valuable function of a forum like this. And I feel that people shouldn't be discouraged from accessing the hive mind :)

Edit: I post from the perspective of someone very familiar with 'pre-significant-purchase-anxiety-syndrome'.
I kind of agree with Kissing. You aren't going to get an answer here, just a bunch of varied and confusing opinions. Just buy one. Take the leap. Play it for a while, and if it isn't the right one, get another. I wonder how many people actually stick with their first ukulele anyway. Not many.

Hello im beginner and im going to buy my first ukulele and im thinking which size is better for beginner? also ill send you few links of ukuleles id like to buy so you can offer which one is better
1. http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/200-399/pono-ac-acacia-concert.html
2.http://www.southernukulelestore.co....Solid-Acacia-Electro-Acoustic-Concert-Ukulele
3.http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...on-all-solid-spruce-rosewood-mango-tenor.html
4.http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/price/200-399/cordoba-30t-solid-mahogany-tenor-package.html
i cant afford more expensive ukes than 400dollars. if you know something else with good price pls put link in comments
:drool::drool::drool:

First thing I would do is play a couple of each size, if possible. Consider only the size, not the setup, string choice, wood combo, etc... For me, the room on the fingerboard up to the twelfth fret matters. Decide what matters to you for now.

then, pick something reasonably priced up to your limit. You will learn more about what you like and prefer after playing awhile. Take delivery, and learn THE instrument and YOUR instrument. You might have one you can keep forever. You might want to also add others for different nuance in your playing.

I went through this in the guitar world, and was fairly prepare entering the uke world. Five acoustic guitars have come and gone, with four remaining - as I learned. So far, I think I'll keep my first uke purchase, and will definitely keep my second.

Similarity amongst all of those? String spacing and scale work for me, as does the tone and size of the body. May or may not work for others, but those are what matter to me.

Good luck in your search and journey, enjoy!

If you can, head to a music store and try some out. But, not everyone lives near a store that carries ukuleles, or a selection of ukuleles. You don't need to be able to actually play to try some out, but can try placing your fingers on the frets and see how it feels. You could probably look up how to play a chord or 2, and take that with you to the store, too, so you have some way to compare what that would be like.

Do you play any other stringed instruments? Have large hands? Small hands? Any hand injuries that you're dealing with, or arthritis? Some of those things might factor into whether you can stretch your fingers far enough for a tenor, or if the closer spacing of a concert might work better.

If you can't decide, you might just want to take a leap, and pick one. You could sell or give away something that doesn't work, but would know more about what you want for a future purchase.

Or, even better, find out if the store takes returns, so you could try it for a couple days, and bring it back, (or ship it back), if you think you made the wrong decision. You'd be out shipping costs, if you have to ship it, but at least you would now have a better idea of what works for you.

It's hard to know what to do when you don't have any solid information for making the decision, so I understand why you're raising the question. We don't want to waste our hard-earned money, and some of us have limited funds to non-essential purchases.

thank you guys you really helped me! i decided to buy uke from my local shop for 60 euros its Kala MK-C CONCERT. but when ill be able to play a bit ill buy a uke for 300-400 euros. but there is a few problems with that. i live in europe and if i buy from HMS i have to pay 2.7% for customs and 21% vat. so its 60-80 euros extra. and shipping is 70 euros. and i havent seen decent shop in europe yet. so its worth to pay more to HMS and get good ukulele or its better to try to search for ukulele in europe and pay that 150 euros not for shipping and taxes but for better product?

Congratulations on your decision! Kala is a good brand. I have two of them. (A long neck soprano and a tenor.)

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing to start with a cheaper ukulele at first. The first thing you need to establish through learning is whether you'll even stick with the ukulele. It's good to figure this out on a fairly inexpensive instrument. My first few ukes almost a decade ago were beginner quality, but onceI decided I really loved playing, I felt confident spending more money on one and by that time I knew that size was comfortable for me. You'll be fine with the Kala. Now, it's time to play play play!

thank you guys you really helped me! i decided to buy uke from my local shop for 60 euros its Kala MK-C CONCERT. but when ill be able to play a bit ill buy a uke for 300-400 euros. but there is a few problems with that. i live in europe and if i buy from HMS i have to pay 2.7% for customs and 21% vat. so its 60-80 euros extra. and shipping is 70 euros. and i havent seen decent shop in europe yet. so its worth to pay more to HMS and get good ukulele or its better to try to search for ukulele in europe and pay that 150 euros not for shipping and taxes but for better product?

To me, the cutoff is ~$200 USD. I don't go below that. My Anuenue and Kala SMHS were $250 and $215, and are both solid, good sounding, well playing mahogany sopranos. I would even say the Kala's sound quality is nearly on par with my $1000 Kiwaya. Surprising, yes.

ok but what do you think should i pay 150 euros for shipping and taxes because of setup and good known brand or should i invest that 150 euros to better ukulele but with not that good setup and not that good brand?

Last edited:
That is the ukulele I started out with. I still take it to the beach and play it all the time. Don't let other people spend your money for you.

You don't have to buy from HMS. We listed over a dozen sites in the last thread you made with a lot of the same ukes that HMS has. Great brands too.

Top Bottom