PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele you'd like to try

Joyful Uke
03-27-2016, 06:18 AM
The "Favorite Uke You've Ever Played" thread led to me think that it might be interesting to hear about some ukes you haven't had a chance to play, but would love to try.

Here is one I'd love to try:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/hoffmann-lutherie-ml-concert-spruce-maple-sunburst.html

I love the sound, and am intrigued by how it would feel to play, since it's not the standard shape. (Or at least what I think of as the standard shape.)

DownUpDave
03-27-2016, 06:38 AM
Moore Bettah

kvehe
03-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Moore Bettah

DownUpDave
03-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Moore Bettah

Hey........me first :p

What do you think Kathryn......an all koa or one of his spectacular spruce and ebony models. They all are spectacular though aren't they?

Ukulele Eddie
03-27-2016, 07:15 AM
An LfdM!!!

janeray1940
03-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Kamaka longneck pineapple soprano, which seems to just be the rarest of rare. Being a try-before-you-buy girl, I just can't bring myself to order one sight unseen.

hollisdwyer
03-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Of course a MB. I would love to hear for myself just what they are all about. But I'd also like to try a Hive and a Kinnard.

Ukulelerick9255
03-27-2016, 08:21 AM
I can't wait to try my Beau Hannam Selmer tenor that I'm getting soon, Ziricote and figured redwood. After that there's so many I'd like to try or own eventually....Mo bettah, lmfd, Eric Devine, Jay lichty to name a few....plus there is a dream wood combo I'd love to have made some day...my next dream uke is Brazilian Rosewood with an Adirondack red spruce top with a tobacco sunburst.

cml
03-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Here is one I'd love to try:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/hoffmann-lutherie-ml-concert-spruce-maple-sunburst.html

I love the sound, and am intrigued by how it would feel to play, since it's not the standard shape. (Or at least what I think of as the standard shape.)
I got to say I agree with you, definetely the most intriguing uke I've seen in a while!
If only I had the money for that :)...

sukie
03-27-2016, 08:50 AM
An LfdM!!!

I'm tired of pretending I know what a LfdM is.
What are they? I hear good things.

ZappCatt
03-27-2016, 08:55 AM
I'm tired of pretending I know what a LfdM is.
What are they? I hear good things.

Luis Alberto Feu de Mesquita

http://lfdmguitars.ca/

A Canadian Luthier who has a neighbor/friend who often posts pix of his workspace here on UU and makes us all drool!

Croaky Keith
03-27-2016, 08:56 AM
Take a look here. :)

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/08/11/lfdm/

Alytw
03-27-2016, 08:58 AM
MB! Followed by Kinnard and Rebel Alchemist

wildfire070
03-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Pohaku, Ono, Rebel

Jim Hanks
03-27-2016, 10:28 AM
This one: :)
http://www.magicfluke.com/v/vspfiles/photos/options/Flea_Designer-384.jpg

shermdog
03-27-2016, 12:20 PM
There's an Oceana koa and cedar tenor on HMS right now with a scalloped fretboard. I wouldn't mind trying it out just to see how that fretboard feels.

wayfarer75
03-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Kamaka Ohta-San

whistleman123
03-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Godin Multi-Uke

PhilUSAFRet
03-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Clara with the newest generation MiSi

photoshooter
03-27-2016, 03:56 PM
Rebel Alchemist
D'Angelico Archtop Uke
any tenor model from Lichty Guitars
Ono Ukuleles Cherry Tenor

sukie
03-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Luis Alberto Feu de Mesquita

http://lfdmguitars.ca/

A Canadian Luthier who has a neighbor/friend who often posts pix of his workspace here on UU and makes us all drool!

Take a look here. :)

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/08/11/lfdm/
Holy cow! Those are lovely. Thank you.

Joyful Uke
03-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Another one I would love to try:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/naturel-custom-concert-by-naoki-yoshiro.html

I'm not sure about the color, but it looks like it's beautifully made, and it sounds lovely.

Nickie
03-27-2016, 05:18 PM
I got to try Sukie's beautiful flamingo MB, so I can't say MB. :drool:
I tried a Pepe Romero tiny tenor yesterday OMG. :iwant:
I don't know what I'd try next, maybe a Kamaka or Kanilea or Koo'lau.

bonesoup
03-28-2016, 02:23 AM
Almost all luthier models, Pono PCs, Koolaus, US Martins, Collings, Takumis, Asturias, actually let me just open up HMS and go down the list, oh yeah anything vintage too, etc etc. Having UAS in South America sucks. Sucks, I tells ya!

kkimura
03-28-2016, 02:25 AM
Kepasa Madeira

LarryS
03-28-2016, 02:26 AM
A Moore Bettah. Man they look sooo good.
Also I'd love to try a traditional hawaiian pineapple uke

Sporin
03-28-2016, 02:53 AM
I'd love to look at a Moore Bettah or a DeVine. They are works of art.

I'd love to play a traditional, Hawaiian-made, Koa pineapple, and early Mahogany Martin, and one of the higher-end Pono's with the radiused fretboard.

Booli
03-28-2016, 03:49 AM
in no particular order...

Pepe Romero Tiny tenor
Joel Eckhaus STRAD uke
Vintage Gibson soprano
Vintage Martin baritone
Jay Lichty
Pohaku
LFdM
JazzBox
DaSilva
iChibara
Martin 3 Cherry Soprano
Ohana SK-30L tenor neck/soprano body
Moore Bettah
Pete Howlett
Ken Timms
Argapa/Sven
Kamaka Ohta-San
Kamaka HF3 Deluxe
Kanile'a
Ko'olau
Kamoa
Pono
Blackbird: Clara, BTU tenor, Farallon tenor
Alic Soprano
Magic Fluke Company: Fluke SB, Timber bass, Cricket violin, Firefly, Fluke w/spruce top
KoAloha Pineapple Sunday
Beau Hannam Tenor

and a few others I cannot recall at the moment...:music:

Inksplosive AL
03-28-2016, 03:58 AM
I want a BlackBear soprano or a Timms myself but I know I'll own one or both some day when I get myself to believe I'm worth such an instrument so my want is satiated.

70sSanO
03-28-2016, 04:11 AM
Like others, I would like to try a Moore Bettah. They look wonderful and I imagine they play and sound fantastic. Chuck has set the standard for excellence, but I still have a tough time getting my head around a $7500+ ukulele. This is not to say that they are not worth the money. In the guitar world there are custom handmade guitars that cost considerably more than that and offer significantly less artistic appeal visually.

It would be nice to one day actually play one and see how well it sounds and plays.

John

sukie
03-28-2016, 04:28 AM
Like others, I would like to try a Moore Bettah. They look wonderful and I imagine they play and sound fantastic. Chuck has set the standard for excellence, but I still have a tough time getting my head around a $7500+ ukulele. This is not to say that they are not worth the money. In the guitar world there are custom handmade guitars that cost considerably more than that and offer significantly less artistic appeal visually.

It would be nice to one day actually play one and see how well it sounds and plays.

John
Just remember -- MBs have not always cost $7500. Mine was much less expensive. But that was a while ago.

kvehe
03-28-2016, 04:57 AM
Hey........me first :p

What do you think Kathryn......an all koa or one of his spectacular spruce and ebony models. They all are spectacular though aren't they?

Yes, you would definitely get to come before me. :)

About two years ago or so there was an incredible spruce/milo MB that I have thought about nearly every day since.

DownUpDave
03-28-2016, 05:04 AM
:eek:
Yes, you would definitely get to come before me. :)

About two years ago or so there was an incredible spruce/milo MB that I have thought about nearly every day since.

Ok then.......find it and I'll let you go first. Can't just butt in front on someone's dream uke

JMort847
03-28-2016, 05:15 AM
I'd love to try a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday or a Beau Hannam Tenor.

RichM
03-28-2016, 07:18 AM
Just remember -- MBs have not always cost $7500. Mine was much less expensive. But that was a while ago.

Yup, I remember thinking back then that MBs were a remarkable bargain for the quality they offered. I always thought that if they were offered at market value, they'd go through the roof. And so they have!

RichM
03-28-2016, 07:21 AM
I feel very spoiled, I've tried or owned a pretty high percentage of people's "ukes I really wanna try." :) One I'd love to try but haven't is the D'Angelico archtop. They look lovely, but I've never seen one in person.

Croaky Keith
03-28-2016, 08:36 AM
I wasn't going to post here, but then I thought why not - what I would like to try is an electro acoustic long neck soprano - & any others of that ilk. :)

Peace Train
03-28-2016, 09:13 AM
My List (alphabetically) . . .

Aaron Oya
Devine
Grimes
Jake Model Kamaka
Kinnard
Koa Works
LFdM
Little River
Moore Bettah
Naoki Yoshiro (http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/custom-builds/naturel-custom-concert-by-naoki-yoshiro.html)
Pete Howlett
Scheurenbrand

VINTAGE:
Gibson
Harmony 'Aero'
Martin

dirtiestkidever
03-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Hoffmann Lutherie.

The unique looks are not my taste. He has an excellent sense of style and I like the headstock shapes etc but the body shapes are just too odd for a traditionalist like me. But based on online videos those are the most consistently impressive sounding ukes I have heard. Every time I watch a new video or listen to a sounds sample I am blown away.

mmfitzsimons
03-28-2016, 12:00 PM
I've never tried a solid wood pineapple, so maybe one a Kamaka or KoAloha, they're both such classics. :)