Lyon & Healy Washburn 5K on ebay, ends tonight

Django

Reaction score
There is an interesting Lyon & Healy ukulele on ebay and it ends in less than 3 hours. I have no stake in this and am just passing this along in case anyone here would is interested, (I hope that I am not causing any member grief by doing this). I do not know the value. From the description it is a soprano and very high end.

It looks like a very cool, vintage instrument. A search should not include 5K because it is only listed as a Lyon & Healy Washburn Ukulele. 1920-1930 Washburn “Lyon & Healy” Ukulele Koa 13477

Last edited:
Washburn_pearl_2.jpg

Washburn_pearl_3.jpg

Washburn_pearl_4.jpg

Washburn_pearl_5.jpg

That was one amazing vintage pearl ukulele. I think this would be the top of the line Washburn sorpano size. Even the backstrip is pearl inlaid.

The fingerboard has banjo style inlays. Beautiful koa body, ebony pin bridge, and a pearl soundhole ring.

Vintage Washburns are, to me, second only to Martin in build quality. They sound really good too. And of course much more rare.

I have negative feelings about pre-completed auction threads. I have thought that there is an unwritten rule against posting them prior to completion and the practice is generally frowned upon on most forums. There are a number of people who have spent a lot of time searching for something in particular and find an auction for one, and then the auction gets published on some site.

Once the bidding is over, I think they are really cool to see what things went for, but not before they end.

John

I think that's a discussion for another section of the forum, we should really focus on this extremely rare and beautiful vintage ukulele. The auction is over anyway.

I have negative feelings about pre-completed auction threads. I have thought that there is an unwritten rule against posting them prior to completion and the practice is generally frowned upon on most forums. There are a number of people who have spent a lot of time searching for something in particular and find an auction for one, and then the auction gets published on some site.

Once the bidding is over, I think they are really cool to see what things went for, but not before they end.

John

I respectfully disagree. This is a community, and the availability of a rare ukulele for sale is definitely in the interest of the community.

Unless it's a different one, I didn't think the one I saw on ebay was worth the nearly 2k it was up to at that time. Maybe to a collector of that brand, but sure wasn't a fraction as pretty as the one above.

Definitely a pretty strong price, but who knows how long you would have to wait to find another one.

More pearl than a Martin 5K and much more rare! If the new owner is a member here, it would be wonderful to hear a bit more of the story behind this one after the bridge is reglued.

I think that's a discussion for another section of the forum, we should really focus on this extremely rare and beautiful vintage ukulele. The auction is over anyway.

I had thought about this argument when posting this thread and I had considered waiting. On the other hand, it is nice to know when something is available and it is nice for the seller. I don't think that the seller expected to get much and did little or no research. I would feel bad if I got a Martin 5K for example from a private seller at a low price. Fair is fair. If it an auction and I bid and still get a good price, I can live with that. I feel that this one still went cheap based on the maker and model. Thant's just my opinion. I also don't really believe in unwritten rules unless they are obvious. If you want a rule followed, make it clear. I pasted in the wrong quote. It should have been "I have negative feelings about pre-completed auction threads. I have thought that there is an unwritten rule against posting them prior to completion and the practice is generally frowned upon on most forums. There are a number of people who have spent a lot of time searching for something in particular and find an auction for one, and then the auction gets published on some site." Sorry about that.

Top Bottom