Anybody suggest 19" scale baritone?

billten

Reaction score
I have been playing around with the baritone uke lately and run into a lot of 20 1/8 scale instruments. I played an older unnamed mahogany bari that had a 19" scale and found i really liked the feel of the softer string tension and the tone was sublime. After looking around i'm not sure that anybody makes a 19" scale production model bari these days, am i correct and if so why has the shorter scale gone out of style?

Thanks... Bill

Bruko baritone is 19". I'm not sure if it qualifies as "production" but is probably the only option in the under $500 category. Unless you want to go steel string electric in which case I can recommend a custom Blue Star Guitar Konablaster. There are also some longneck tenors with 19" scale - Kamaka comes to mind - but that's close to 3 times the cost of the other two. I believe Mele has both body styles in 19" and those are in between in terms of cost.

Bruko baritone is 19". I'm not sure if it qualifies as "production" but is probably the only option in the under $500 category. Unless you want to go steel string electric in which case I can recommend a custom Blue Star Guitar Konablaster. There are also some longneck tenors with 19" scale - Kamaka comes to mind - but that's close to 3 times the cost of the other two. I believe Mele has both body styles in 19" and those are in between in terms of cost.

Jim brings up a great point regarding LN Tenors.

I am looking at the Kamaka LN Tenor, and when fancy strikes might string it up re entrant Baritone. I think the tone could be really nice.

That new Rebel custom baritone at HMS is 19" scale. And, as John mentioned vintage Favilla, Harmony, Silvertone by Harmony are 19" and can be found at very reasonably prices.

Bill contact Dave and get a spin on his Gianini before it hits the road on his loaner programme.

It is a lot of fun and has a nice tone.

Last edited:
Mele do make both 19" and 20"+ baritones. Kamaka make 19" baritones. Yes look for 19" instruments being classified as long neck Tenors. Bruceweiart and Taisamlu make their baritones with a 19" scale length.

EDIT: You may need to send an e-mail to Mele ukuleles. They USED to list both 19" and 20" baritones but I can't see them on the current website.

Anthony

Last edited:
Kamaka is 20 1/8. I'm looking for a Kamaka. Those old Gianninis are pretty neat, narrow fretboard but nice round neck.

I believe the Rogue Bari is still a nineteen-incher. ... or is that out of the price range we are talking about, as in you were going to have a burger and a soda instead?

IMO the best out there for a 19" bari is the Favilla. I still kick myself for selling mine rather than the '62 Martin. Perhaps once I decide to sell the Martin I'll find another Favilla.

I believe the baritones made by Hora, a Romanian manufacturer, are just shy off 19" (18.5"). They are making spruce models for Thomann, which have a scale of 470mm, so my guess is their own models have the same scale length.

I believe the Rogue Bari is still a nineteen-incher. ... or is that out of the price range we are talking about, as in you were going to have a burger and a soda instead?

an amazon comment says the scale is 20.25 on the rogue. Interesting this information is so hard to find on the rogue...maybe drbekken can answer this one...

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/nOmC0Cw8kjk

Here's the Hora baritone, made in Romania. It's the best baritone I ever played. Solid mahogany, still inexpensive, and wonderful, mellow sound and tone.

https://youtu.be/nOmC0Cw8kjk Here's the Hora baritone, made in Romania. It's the best baritone I ever played. Solid mahogany, still inexpensive, and wonderful, mellow sound and tone.

I emailed Hora a few days ago, and they'll sell directly from the factory, too. I do wish it had a longer scale, though, but it may be perfect for those wanting a 18.something" short scale.

Top Bottom