Strings for Koaloha Concert

Kyle23

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy strings tonight and my thread in buying tips is getting no action so I decided to post it here. If that's not allowed feel free to delete this.

I have an older Koaloha Concert from 2003 that currently has Martin 600s on it. I feel like the C string is very thick and takes away some clarity from the uke. I have a Koa Pili Koko that came with Worths, so I switched them because I know Koaloha uses Worths or something close for their ukes, but when I put them on, they didn't sound good at all. It sounded a bit dead for some reason. I'm not sure about the different types of Worth strings, but mine are clear. Maybe Koaloha uses a different clear set on theirs. What about Worth Browns? What do you guys use? If you have a sound sample of your Koaloha with the strings you use, that would be amazing.

I have used Worth CM (clear medium) and PHd strings with great success on Koaloha comcerts. Koaloaha does use the Worth clear on all their instruments. I give strings 5-7 total hours playing time before passing judgement, give them time to settle. What Worths did you put on CL, CM, CT ?? You could try Oasis brights for a change. I know two friends that like Worth browns on their Koalohas.

Last edited:
I don't even think about strings being good or bad until they've been on the uke a week so that they and my ears get used to each other. Back in the day when I had seven KoAlohas hanging on the wall they all had Worth clear of brown on them.

Jude

Try a wound string for C. I use a Thomastik Infeld CF27 on one of my concerts to counter that thuddy sound. I don't own a Koaloha, but strings I have liked on my concerts are Living Waters and Fremont Blackline mediums. Oasis and Martin are really good too. It's a journey, finding the right set for a uke.

I use Worth Clears (the mediums) on both of my KoAloha ukes (a LN pineapple made of koa, and a concert made of sapele). That's what they came with and as I feel they sound fantastic with those strings, I just stick to them. Couldn't really specify what I would like to be different about them -- they feel good, sound good, are regionally available without importing. Definitely not dead sounding. I'd probably try Aquila reds, in your situation.

I have Worth Browns (medium as well) on my custom tenor and tried Worth Clears on my acacia tenor, and I'm really not sure there is an actual difference between them other than the color. Initially, Worth were pretty evasive about this question too, and many people will say that the browns sound more mellow, but I'm not sure if that isn't in part a matter of perception caused by the color. Whatever the case, I don't believe you'll note a substantial improvement if the clears didn't work for you. I'd go for something more obviously different, like the Aquila reds.

I have an older Koaloha Concert from 2003 that currently has Martin 600s on it. I feel like the C string is very thick and takes away some clarity from the uke...

The thicker the string, the more thuddy it will be, regardless of material. Switching to a wound C string will let you go down to 0.022, thoroughly solving that problem, but will require a new nut.

I have used Worth CM (clear medium) and PHd strings with great success on Koaloha comcerts. Koaloaha does use the Worth clear on all their instruments. I give strings 5-7 total hours playing time before passing judgement, give them time to settle. What Worths did you put on CL, CM, CT ?? You could try Oasis brights for a change. I know two friends that like Worth browns on their Koalohas.

I'll try the CM. I'm not even sure which kind I put on, but it's the kind that comes stock on Koa Pili Kokos. Maybe CL?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I may also try Oasis and Worth Browns. The Browns were my favorite when I used them on my cedar top Luna.

Last edited:
One last thing. Where's the best place to buy strings? I know I've seen a certain site recommended over the years but I'm drawing a blank. Usually I do eBay but I'm looking for other options.

One last thing. Where's the best place to buy strings? I know I've seen a certain site recommended over the years but I'm drawing a blank. Usually I do eBay but I'm looking for other options.
I've had excellent luck dealing with StringsByMail.com.

Will check those out. Is there any difference in sound with older KoAlohas and newer ones? Would Worth's still be ideal on the older models?

Strings by Mail and Elderly .... where I get my strings. Sound is very subjective. I had good luck on that uke with Worth BM and CM, and the Martins sounded the best to my ear. Try some and find what sound best to your ear :)

I have Worth CL on my KoAloha l/n Pineapple and KoAlana Concert. The CMs didn't sound right.

Can you describe the sound? Still trying to decide which set to buy

I'd try a few different ones as each uke will sound a bit different ... even ukes of the same make and model. Worth BM, CM, Living Waters, Oasis Warms, Oasis Brights, etc. Sound is a very personal thing ... pretty tough for someone to describe how a particular set of strings sound ... on their uke ... to their ears.

Top Bottom