14 frets...

Kaneke

Reaction score
Is a 14 fret to the body soprano exactly the same as a long neck/super soprano/soprano with a concert neck?

Probably, but if there is a particular brand you are looking at, that will help. The reason I say probably is because a soprano scale is around 13-5/8". There are just so many frets you can have before the joint and still place the bridge in a reasonable location.

John

Not always. LoPrinzi, for example, has 14 frets to the body on a standard soprano scale. For most builders, 12 is the norm and you would only see 14 frets to the body on a super soprano with a concert scale neck.

Is a 14 fret to the body soprano exactly the same as a long neck/super soprano/soprano with a concert neck?

If the scale length is around 13 1/2"-13 3/4" and it is on a soprano size body, its simply a soprano uke with a 14, 13, or 12 fret neck.

What is commonly referred to a super-soprano these days (silly stuff IMO) is a concert scale length of 15" on soprano body. Where the neck joins the body is the luthiers decision. If it is a soprano body with a tenor neck or baritone neck, call it what you will.

Is a fruit the same as an orange?
Short answer- No.

What is commonly referred to a super-soprano these days (silly stuff IMO) is a concert scale length of 15" on soprano body.
Also known as a long neck soprano - I would have preferred manufacturers to have called it a mini concert or something similar, as the scale length, size/area between frets, is more important to a players fingers than the body size, (in my opinion).

Thanks for your answers! Keith's reply is exactly what I meant, I prefer the soprano's to the concert scale with regards to the size of the frets and spacing between them but would like to have 2 extra frets to the body. So what I'm looking for is a soprano with normal scale and 14 frets to the body rather than a soprano with concert size neck. Laura's example of the LoPrizi is what I would like to own but a to bit expensive for me. Anyone suggestions of other brands/models with these configuration?

Thanks for your answers! Keith's reply is exactly what I meant, I prefer the soprano's to the concert scale with regards to the size of the frets and spacing between them but would like to have 2 extra frets to the body. So what I'm looking for is a soprano with normal scale and 14 frets to the body rather than a soprano with concert size neck. Laura's example of the LoPrizi is what I would like to own but a to bit expensive for me. Anyone suggestions of other brands/models with these configuration?

Gretsch Camp Uke is the only other one I can think of that's cheaper. There is the Romero Creations XS Soprano, but those are similarly priced to LoPrinzi's sopranos. Then Kanilea has some, but those are more costly. Though honestly, I thought it was important to have 14 frets clear of the body when I was buying my second uke, but I was playing a soprano with only 12 frets total. I have a concert with 14 frets to the body, and that's the only one out of the four I own. The other three have 12 to the body. I guess when I get up there I'm really just playing the A string and I don't find it too hard to reach.

Last edited:
You may want to take a look at a Sailor brand soprano ukulele. Supposedly they are 14 fret to the body with a soprano scale. They are less expensive than LoPrinzi, I think they have some connection with LoPrinzi. I haven't seen much info about them in a few years. I'd talk to Mike at Uke Republic.

John

You may want to take a look at a Sailor brand soprano ukulele. Supposedly they are 14 fret to the body with a soprano scale. They are less expensive than LoPrinzi, I think they have some connection with LoPrinzi. I haven't seen much info about them in a few years. I'd talk to Mike at Uke Republic.

John

Yes, I forgot about that. I believe LoPrinzi makes them.

Not to confuse the issue - but I have a LoPrinzi soprano that is 14 frets to the body- scale length (nut to saddle) is just over 15 inches (consistent with concerts I have or tried), BUT it is their long neck version. Of the pictures I've seen their standard soprano is just 12 frets to the body.

Now I have a Kanilea Islander AS 4 which is marketed as a standard soprano that is 14 frets to the body- scale length just under 14 inches (but still a bit longer than other standard sopranos I have seen). This is the closest I have found to a pure soprano with the 14 frets although I don't notice a lot of difference playing, for example, the AS4 versus a long neck soprano. Their mahogany version MS 4 of this is only 12 frets to the body (don't know the scale length or why the difference).

I have seen Sailor ukes labeled just as soprano's that have 14 frets to the body but also some labeled super sopranos with this number of frets.

All this to say that there is a lot of variation in how ukes are marketed/labeled- but if you ask the right questions before you buy you should be able to find something that is a good fit.

Is the 14 frets important for you because you play pieces that require them, or this is simply a preference you choose?

Not to confuse the issue - but I have a LoPrinzi soprano that is 14 frets to the body- scale length (nut to saddle) is just over 15 inches (consistent with concerts I have or tried), BUT it is their long neck version. Of the pictures I've seen their standard soprano is just 12 frets to the body.

Now I have a Kanilea Islander AS 4 which is marketed as a standard soprano that is 14 frets to the body- scale length just under 14 inches (but still a bit longer than other standard sopranos I have seen). This is the closest I have found to a pure soprano with the 14 frets although I don't notice a lot of difference playing, for example, the AS4 versus a long neck soprano. Their mahogany version MS 4 of this is only 12 frets to the body (don't know the scale length or why the difference).

I have seen Sailor ukes labeled just as soprano's that have 14 frets to the body but also some labeled super sopranos with this number of frets.

All this to say that there is a lot of variation in how ukes are marketed/labeled- but if you ask the right questions before you buy you should be able to find something that is a good fit.

LoPrinzi does make soprano scale ukes with 14 to the body as their standard model. That may not always have been the case, but it's what they do now. Any buyer should double check because as you state, the longnecks with concert scale do join at the 14th too.

Thanks!

This is really good info. I saw the Islander, but I couldn't figure out exactly what the scale length was. It seems most manufacturers are not clear on the scale length, at least I can't easily find that information.

I do agree with asking and getting a specific answer before buying anything.

John

Lehua sopranos are designed by Bob Gleason of Pegasus. They are solid acacia blackwood with 14 frets. I will have to check my Eddy-Finn line to see what is laminated with 14 frets. Nothing...they are 12 to the neck + 4more.
Leolani Ukuleles have 14 frets to the neck +3. All three have websites. Leolani also has good background music

Last edited:
Top Bottom