PDA

View Full Version : Stuff You Keep In Your Gig Bag - Bit Of Fun

jollyboy
03-29-2016, 03:24 AM
I'm currently waiting in for a new washing machine to be delivered and I'm a bit bored. I should actually be doing some home DIY (yay Easter :rolleyes:) but I've decided I've earned a tea break. So...

I was thinking about stuff I keep in my gig bag accessory pocket. There's lots of the stuff you'd expect like spare strings, a couple of string winders, lemon oil etc., but there's also one or two more exotic items. These include:

A pair of toenail scissors - I really like these for trimming strings (fyi i keep a pair exclusively for this purpose - they don't double up as actual toenail scissors :p)

An orthopaedic gel ball - basically an upmarket stress ball that I bought cos I was having trouble with barre chords and wanted to improve my finger strength. It has helped loads.

A 1.5" 'sawn off' paint brush - I use this for sweeping my fretboard clean. Super handy for quickly getting rid of dust and bits of crud.

Anyone else got anything weird and wonderful in their case/bag?

Ukulelerick9255
03-29-2016, 03:29 AM
Jimmy Hoffa is bride in my case.

Booli
03-29-2016, 03:54 AM
adding to your list above:

1. Tuner
2. extra batts for tuner
3. small reversible phillips/slotted screwdriver
4. set of small hemostats/forceps
5. small roll of electrical tape (always NEED this)
6. credit-card sized fresnel magnifying lens
7. small pack of mints (handy for starting conversations with strangers by offering them a mint)

Rllink
03-29-2016, 04:18 AM
Tuner and some calling cards.

jddennis
03-29-2016, 05:40 AM
I haven't really taken an instrument out of the house for a while. But when I do, I typically have the following:

1. Extra strings
2. A dust cloth
3. A winder
4. A set of bottlenose pliers with built in wire cutters
5. A small tuner
6. A chord dictionary

And then, depending on if it's one of my instruments with a pickup, a wire for a sound system. Nowadays, the tuner has been replaced by my cell phone. But I do keep a small set of tuning pipes on hand for emergency.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
03-29-2016, 05:45 AM
i guess I'm trusting my strings not to break! Oh well....

I carry STRUM stickers and STRUM buttons to give out to newcomers to
our weekly song circle at the Kona Kitchen Restaurant in Seattle.

Oh, and a stuffed bright red fish to hang on the front of my music stand :)

And I'll start carrying extra strings as well :)

keep uke'in',

PS great selection of 'things' :)

RichM
03-29-2016, 05:58 AM
Because I play a lot of different instruments (guitar, mandolin, bass, ukulele, banjo), I keep a separate bag that goes with me regardless of what I'm playing. It includes:

1. Various picks
2. Polishing cloths
3. A variety of chord books
4. A variety of straps
5. Capos
6. Tuners
7. Cables, for when I'm playing electric
8. My bass direct box, for when I'm plugging into the PA
9. A half-finished bottle of water, from the last time I played

Croaky Keith
03-29-2016, 06:03 AM
I was thinking about stuff I keep in my gig bag accessory pocket.

My bags don't have pockets. :(

janeray1940
03-29-2016, 06:05 AM
No pockets in my hard cases, so I keep a separate pouch of stuff I might need that includes: spare strings (in 7 years of playing I've broken a string only ONCE!), spare batteries for tuners, metronome, pencil/eraser/sharpener, nail clippers, nail file, thumbpicks, metal clips that I use to keep paper pages clipped to my music stand if there's a breeze, cable to connect metronome or iPhone to an amp. In my binder with my music, I keep the Sakuma chord book and some blank tab paper.

Down Up Dick
03-29-2016, 06:11 AM
I have lots of gig bags and cases, but I don't go nowhere with my instruments. I'm a music room soloist! :old:

LarryS
03-29-2016, 06:22 AM
My uke doeant have a gig bag. Might have to rectify that! But my guitar does and in its pocket there is a spare set of D'Adarrios, a glass slide, a luminous string winder, a stereo jack lead, a feedback buster and a single electric guitar string. Funny thing is I have no electric guitar or amp!

kohanmike
03-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Uh oh, you just opened a can with me. I have some very specialized items in my custom made gig bag for my bass ukes. I use an old lady shopping cart to tote around my amp and gig bag, and realized I could also use it as a music stand, bass hanger, amp stand, so I made holders from Orca violin hangers and microphone arms. The plastic tube and small wrench are to tighten the output jack that so often comes lose. I also record songs during rehearsal and post them on my site so everyone can practice at home.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Gig bag contents all.jpg

DownUpDave
03-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Holy jumping "McGiver" you people are prepared for musical Armageddon. I leave the house with a uke and a tuner.......if I haven't put the tuner in another case. I thought the uke was a simple minimalistic type of instrument.

You know....grab it, go to the beach, sit down, get jiggy, apparently I am wrong

Edit......I don't own a gig bag, just hardcases for every uke. I need to buy a gig bag with big old pockets then I can load it up

UkingViking
03-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Only used my uke outside my house once, for a hiking/camping weekend.
But even just for keeping in my home, I keep things in the pocket.
I keep my tuner there, so I remember where I put it. I keep my uke in the gig bag on top of a cupboard.
I also keep some spare strings, in case I should bring it somewhere, forget them, and suddenly break a string. I never needed them, and so I didn't consider putting a clipper in there. Good idea :-)

CasanovaGuy
03-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Here's everything in my gig bag (picture links included of all the music-related things):
1. Tuner (http://www.amazon.com/Intelli-IMT500-Chromatic-Digital-Strings/dp/B002Q0WSO8)
2. A tuning fork (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Tuning-Fork-Key/dp/B0002F585K)
3. Aquila Nygluts (http://www.amazon.com/Aquila-USA-Tenor-Ukulele-Strings/dp/B007K3EGWI/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1459281405&sr=1-1&keywords=aquila+tenor) and Worth Clears (http://www.amazon.com/Worth-Premium-Package-Ukulele-String/dp/B017II7GKI/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1459281543&sr=1-1&keywords=worth+ukulele+strings)
4. Egg shaker (http://www.amazon.com/Latin-Percussion-LP001-BK-Plastic-Shakers/dp/B00191EMDK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_267_9?ie=UTF8&dpID=41sICqnSkgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1BCREXZEHDH6VBY287V1)
5. Capo (http://www.amazon.com/Kyser-Quick-Change-Banjo-Capo/dp/B0002CZVWS)
6. Writable pen and notepad
7. Non-writable pen-spinning pen (Waterfall mod)
8. Altoids
9. Condoms
10. Tide stain remover stick
11. DayQuil

acmespaceship
03-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Kohanmike wins. And words cannot express how happy I am that CasanovaGuy carries condoms. :) The pocket of my gig bag usually contains:

Android tablet
Egg shaker
Kazoo (I can't be the only one, admit it)
Pencil wrapped with about 3 feet of duct tape (be prepared)
A handful of Ricola lozenges
Kleenex
My cell phone
Keys
Swiss Army Knife on the keychain (with screwdriver for tuners)
$20 cash for wine and chocolate
One small rubber chicken (don't ask)

I've never busted a string yet, although I keep spare steel strings with my dulcimers.

I often wedge a can of Diet Vernors under the velcro flap that was designed to keep the backpack straps in place. My tuner is clipped to the uke headstock, and under the uke body is one or two stapled printouts of my Leon Redbone song collection, which I give to other uke players and replenish as needed. In certain kinds of weather, there's a hoodie tucked under the uke neck. Thus provisioned, I'm good all day and on past midnight. Beyond 24 hours, I need to add a toothbrush.

Sometimes I think I need a sticker for my purse that says "My other purse is an ukulele case."

Brad Bordessa
03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
SOMEbody is assuming 'ukulele = girls. Haha. Poor guy.

All you really need is to make sure your strings and pickup are in shape: tuner, spare strings, and a spare battery. Everything else is luxury. ...And a nail file in case you rip one off while unloading the PA.

Snargle
03-29-2016, 12:18 PM
" Non-writable pen-spinning pen (Waterfall mod)"
I give up...what is this? :-)

Ukejenny
03-29-2016, 12:28 PM
I have a capo that I rarely use and a cloth to wipe down the instrument. I think there may be some vendor stickers in there as well.

I do have a gardening bag that is my "jam" bag - I take music copies that i will hand out, various hand percussion, my song book, amp cable, amp cord, extension amp cord, stuff to clean my instrument (rags, a little soft brush), tuner, batteries, and usually at least one Pepsi.

Still Water Weapons
03-29-2016, 12:29 PM
These are great! And I'm with you Snargle, inquiring minds need to know!

I only have a polishing cloth and a nail file. Sometimes my water syringe for my oasis is in there, but usually it's on my desk. (tuner is clipped on headstock, so it's not in the pouch)

jollyboy
03-29-2016, 02:30 PM
My bags don't have pockets. :(

Oh no! so sad :(

Uh oh, you just opened a can with me. I have some very specialized items...

Blimey.

Holy jumping "McGiver" you people are prepared for musical Armageddon.

I carry my boomstick separately.

7. Non-writable pen-spinning pen (Waterfall mod)

?

8. Altoids
9. Condoms
10. Tide stain remover stick
11. DayQuil

Ready for anything.

haole
03-29-2016, 03:29 PM
My busking kit: Lots of strings, tuner, spare bridge pins, string winder/bridge pin puller, granola bars, gum, lotion, hand sanitizer, phone charger, and some money so it looks like people enjoy listening.

CasanovaGuy
03-29-2016, 05:16 PM
LOL it's typical college guy stuff if you ask me.

But I realize those items are unintentionally quite suggestive (especially because of my username from my hanabata UU days). The Altoids were there for a job interview, the stain remover stick has been sitting in my gig bag for years (idk if it even works), and I bought a box of DayQuil because my friend needed some. Not gonna lie though, the condoms were there for obvious reasons :O

The egg shaker. That's one of the things I pride myself for putting in my gig bag. "You wanna make some music but have no music experience? Here's an egg shaker" :D

Btw this (http://penwish.com/pre-made-mods/waterfall-mod/waterfall-mod--original-white) is a Waterfall mod (yes, pen spinning is a thing). We pen spinners modify pens to make them easier to do our tricks. We can add heavy tips to each side, or we can add grips to each side, or we can even cut open the barrel to take out the ink cartridge, all of these mods serve to make tricks easier to do. Long story short, Waterfall is the username of the guy that created a certain mod that everyone loved, so the mod is now named in honor of him.

photoshooter
03-29-2016, 06:30 PM
tuner
cable for plugging in
notebook and pen
hand wipes (every time I go to a uke fest I seem to do as much eating as uking)

jddennis
03-30-2016, 12:36 AM
One small rubber chicken (don't ask)

I have one, too! Not on my ukulele gig bag, but on my guitar case. I won it in a youth camp joke contest, punking another kid. Geez, that was nearly 20 years ago... now I feel old.

yes, pen spinning is a thing

I just looked up a video. It looks like finger-sized devil sticks.

kkimura
03-30-2016, 03:28 AM
Battery and key. The key so I don't lock the case and lose the key. Battery for the tuner 'cause I'm a little tone deaf. ;)

TjW
03-30-2016, 04:27 AM
Tuner, spare battery, flashlight, nail clipper.

phil_doleman
03-30-2016, 05:49 AM
My 'gigbag' isn't a uke bag (they tend to be in hard cases), it's a small shoulder bag that carries all my essential stuff for gigging. It usually contains...

Thumb/finger picks
Tuner (electronic)
Tuner (tuning fork- for when the battery dies in the electronic one, and for eating post-gig takeaway food. Electronic tuners aren't so good for that!)
Spare strings
Wire clippers
Torch
2x mic cables
Shure SM58 vocal mic
Shure SM57 instrument mic
mic stand mount (allows me to attach an instrument mic to the same stand as the vocal mic)
Various tablets (painkiller, indigestion, etc.)
Thick and thin sharpies
Small hand towel
Set list
Business cards/ flyers

actadh
03-31-2016, 11:53 AM
I only have two that really leave the house.

This is my OXK. Strap. Wipe down cloth from an old pair of pj's. Two emory boards of different grit for nails. 000 steel wool for the back of the Stratobond neck as it hurts my thumb when it is rough. Care and Feeding pamphlet just because.... Cello humidifier for the Morado fretboard. Reverb tuner.

actadh
03-31-2016, 12:06 PM
My second uke that leaves the house is my Outdoor Ukulele tenor.

No strap buttons on this one, so I have 4 ways to hold it. Yellow sound hole strap (used most often), Flanger leg support, Möbius strap, and a piece of rug underlay.

Reverb tuner, a second scrap of pj's for a wipe down cloth, stickers for side markers, a nail file, and my Christmas present from my niece and sister of the Frozen soundtrack.

Nickie
03-31-2016, 01:23 PM
Good grief, nobody has included an ukulele!
Is that because there's no room left for it?
I carry a tube of lipstick and a tiny bottle of handcleaner, with my uke. Sometimes a dollar or two.

jollyboy
03-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Good grief, nobody has included an ukulele!

I knew I'd forgotten something.

Jim Yates
03-31-2016, 04:57 PM
My uke cases/bags contain only a Snark tuner. I never play a gig on only ukulele, but sometimes will take just a uke to a ukulele club or to amuse myself in Campbelford on the side of the canal while my wife's getting her hair done. My guitar, banjo and mandolin cases have much more room and include some of the things already mentioned. My guitar gig bag as a kazoo, an Acme siren whistle for kicking off solos, a harmonica rack, a box with six harmonicas, a patch cord, Snark, three pack of tuner batteries, a couple of 9 volts batteries, a string winder with a string cutter, 7 bridge pins, an Altoids box containing picks, a deepwell socket (slide), spare strings, Shubb capo, a square of flannel from an old pair of PJs, nail clippers, emery board, a couple of stickers that haven't been applied to a case yet, names and emails/phone numbers that I'll probably use sometime, business cards from musicians I've met at shows. . . At present it doesn't contain a guitar. That is on a stand.

plunker
04-01-2016, 01:51 AM
I'm currently waiting in for a new washing machine to be delivered and I'm a bit bored. I should actually be doing some home DIY (yay Easter :rolleyes:) but I've decided I've earned a tea break. So...

I was thinking about stuff I keep in my gig bag accessory pocket. There's lots of the stuff you'd expect like spare strings, a couple of string winders, lemon oil etc., but there's also one or two more exotic items. These include:

A pair of toenail scissors - I really like these for trimming strings (fyi i keep a pair exclusively for this purpose - they don't double up as actual toenail scissors :p)

An orthopaedic gel ball - basically an upmarket stress ball that I bought cos I was having trouble with barre chords and wanted to improve my finger strength. It has helped loads.

A 1.5" 'sawn off' paint brush - I use this for sweeping my fretboard clean. Super handy for quickly getting rid of dust and bits of crud.

Anyone else got anything weird and wonderful in their case/bag?

My cases seems so naked now. I am embarrassed. Just a tuner and a tuning knob spinner, offset thing. Sometimes a PBJ sandwich.

UkerDanno
04-01-2016, 05:00 AM
Besides uke and strap, a tuner and a shaker...:shaka:

drbekken
04-01-2016, 05:22 AM
Strings, winder, nail clipper (for string ends), clip-on pickup, pitch pipe or G tuned harmonica for tuning...that's about it...

spongeuke
04-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Pictured are my three different baggage options.
1. Martin 0 & clip on tuner if remembered
2. Nook in modified picture frame + 1.
3. For the Ludite gatherings. Rolling Backpack with all the pictured stuff + 1

UkerDanno
04-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Pictured are my three different baggage options.
1. Martin 0 & clip on tuner if remembered
2. Nook in modified picture frame + 1.
3. For the Ludite gatherings. Rolling Backpack with all the pictured stuff + 1

that gives me an idea, I have a rolling golf travel bag, I could get about 4 ukes in cases, music stand, all my books, computer, kazoos, string collection, string winders, needle nose pliers, side cutters and several changes of clothes in that thing!!!
:cool: