NUD: Clearwater VITA Uke - successful setup

kissing

Reaction score

This is not the great ukulele purchase from The Ukulele Site (Hawaii Music Supply) that I am waiting on.

I have two Ponos coming, a Baritone Acacia Nui and a Mahogany cutaway tenor.

This Clearwater Vita uke was just supposed to be a "cheap" in-between purchase. A beater. For the price I paid on eBay, I did not expect much.

But boy was I surprised when I opened the package and gave this thing a whirl. It is LOUD - the solid spruce top resonates and barks like a high-end uke, and the overall finish is well done.

I had owned a genuine Ohana Vita uke in the past, and this one is pretty much identical to it in quality and tone (they come from the same factory, but the Ohana one is much more expensive). One difference being that the Clearwater comes in gloss finish, which actually makes the instrument a bit more attractive to look at. The Ohana also does not come with a pickup installed like the Clearwater.

It is a transducer soundboard pickup, which isn't fabulous quality, but does the job.

However the negative of buying an inexpensive ukulele like this straight off eBay is that the original setup is not great. It came with a very high action, well exceeding 3mm at the 12th fret.

Fortunately, years of tinkering with ukulele has taught me a thing or two about doing a setup. I sanded the saddle down quite a bit and filed the nut slots until I got it down to my liking. Right now, it feels excellent - as good as my professionally setup ukes. The action at the 12th fret sits about 2.25mm, which is kinda how I like it - a bit lower than the 'average', but not too low that it buzzes or feels lifeless.

I have upgraded the strings to D'addario Pro-Arte Clear Nylon with a Fremont flatwound low-G. This brings out a fatter and pleasant tone than the Aquilas it came with.

Overall, I am very impressed with this uke - however, if you intend to buy one, remember - you need to give it a thorough setup!

The setup also improved the sound that comes through the pickup as well. Prior to the setup, the pickup would cause undesirable distortion as the signal is too powerful for the amp. Now it has mellowed down to the right level.

It's good to have a lovely little ukulele to enjoy while I wait for my big order from Hawaii!
I bought it expecting it to be a low standard cheapie, but it's now actually one of my favourites!

Last edited:
This looks interesting. Glad you like it, congrats.

I get a kick out of the various shapes of ukes.

Top Bottom