NUD: Gretsch G9120 tenor ukulele

drbekken

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/a-L8FZcERbc

Short fingerpicked sound sample of my brand new Gretsch tenor, a laminate mahogany instrument that sounds and looks GREAT. I tune it re-entrant dGBE, which provides a deep, rich and mellow tone. Really lovely...hope it comes through somehow on the video, however poorly it's recorded. I have had the uke for a couple of weeks now, and I know for sure I'll keep it. Highly recommended.

When these first came out HMS gave them a place in their top 10 list of tenors under $200.00. I own one, it was my very first uke and I still have it. I feel the same way you do about them........a real sleeper and a great find. Excellent sound and playing as always drbekken

Aloha Dr, very nice sound, and nice playing.. i think you would have loved my pono mango baritone :)

I feel like a broken record..........."as always, nice demo doc"

When these first came out HMS gave them a place in their top 10 list of tenors under $200.00.

In that vid, I remember thinking it was the one I'd pick. But then I was looking for it, and found it came in a laminate, solid hog, and solid koa, but was not sure which one they demo'd, since the solid hog is about $200 too.

And then.. I couldn't find the solid mahogany one.

Another happy 9120 owner here. I switched the tuners to Grover 4b friction tuners (just because i like the look) and tuned the Aquila pearl strings to Bb and wow i am so pleased with it, plays way better than it's price category.

Very nice! I haven't heard re-entrant dGBE before, and I like it. Thanks for the video!
I solemnly swear NEVER to tune a tenor gCEA again. The dGBE tenor tuning is the thing for me. If I want the high tuning, I'll grab my soprano.

I solemnly swear NEVER to tune a tenor gCEA again. The dGBE tenor tuning is the thing for me. If I want the high tuning, I'll grab my soprano.

What strings are you using for that tuning. I might just have to do that to mine as I really did love the sound it produced...........might have had something to do with your playing........no it definitely had a lot to do with your playing.

Lovely sound, and lovely playing!!!!

My husband's first ukulele (gift from me) was a Gretsch solid mahogany tenor, the first year they came out with the Roots collection. It is lovely, sweet, resonant, very well built. Came with a high G and he has left it that way since he inherited my low G tenor (I'm a concert girl). I think Gretsch, as a brand in general, is underrated by many. They make some sweet ukuleles.

Sadly, the year after I gave him the Gretsch, I tried to look it up and they had already discontinued it. Glad we got it when we had the chance. I hope he never parts with it.

What strings are you using for that tuning. I might just have to do that to mine as I really did love the sound it produced...........might have had something to do with your playing........no it definitely had a lot to do with your playing.
Thanks, Dave...the strings in the video are Aquilas; the dGBE set for tenors. They came with a red 3rd string (G), which I immediately replaced with a wound guitar D string, tuned then to G. I love the sound and the feel; the horrible string tension of the C tuned tenor is all gone.

I also bought one of the early version Roots, the G9121 A.C.E., 1/4 sawn honey mahogany and solid top, cutaway, Fishman Kula preamp. I liked it, but when I culled my collection down from 16 to 4, that was one which went, but I have no regrets. They just reissued it, $219 at most retailers.

Nice, very nice. It's so great to have nice sounding and looking instruments available at such affordable (to most) prices. We are so spoiled in the ukulele world.

Wow ... really nice video ... love the tone and playing.

I am gonna put a set of Craig Chee's on one of my tenors ...

Top Bottom