PDA

View Full Version : NUD: Gretsch G9120 tenor ukulele

drbekken
03-29-2016, 11:40 PM
http://youtu.be/a-L8FZcERbc

Short fingerpicked sound sample of my brand new Gretsch tenor, a laminate mahogany instrument that sounds and looks GREAT. I tune it re-entrant dGBE, which provides a deep, rich and mellow tone. Really lovely...hope it comes through somehow on the video, however poorly it's recorded. I have had the uke for a couple of weeks now, and I know for sure I'll keep it. Highly recommended.

DownUpDave
03-30-2016, 01:33 AM
When these first came out HMS gave them a place in their top 10 list of tenors under $200.00. I own one, it was my very first uke and I still have it. I feel the same way you do about them........a real sleeper and a great find. Excellent sound and playing as always drbekken

futboljim
03-30-2016, 01:47 AM
Sounds nice to me, and nice playing! Congrats!!!

mm stan
03-30-2016, 03:51 AM
Aloha Dr, very nice sound, and nice playing.. i think you would have loved my pono mango baritone :)

drbekken
03-30-2016, 03:53 AM
Aloha Dr, very nice sound, and nice playing.. i think you would have loved my pono mango baritone :)

Thank you....and yes, Sir, I'm pretty sure I would enjoy that one!

PhilUSAFRet
03-30-2016, 04:34 AM
I feel like a broken record..........."as always, nice demo doc"

spookelele
03-30-2016, 05:40 AM
When these first came out HMS gave them a place in their top 10 list of tenors under $200.00.

In that vid, I remember thinking it was the one I'd pick. But then I was looking for it, and found it came in a laminate, solid hog, and solid koa, but was not sure which one they demo'd, since the solid hog is about $200 too.

And then.. I couldn't find the solid mahogany one.

billten
03-30-2016, 06:49 AM
Another happy 9120 owner here. I switched the tuners to Grover 4b friction tuners (just because i like the look) and tuned the Aquila pearl strings to Bb and wow i am so pleased with it, plays way better than it's price category.

cpmusic
03-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Very nice! I haven't heard re-entrant dGBE before, and I like it. Thanks for the video!

ZappCatt
03-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Sounds great. Nice playing.

drbekken
03-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Very nice! I haven't heard re-entrant dGBE before, and I like it. Thanks for the video!
I solemnly swear NEVER to tune a tenor gCEA again. The dGBE tenor tuning is the thing for me. If I want the high tuning, I'll grab my soprano.

DownUpDave
03-30-2016, 12:16 PM
I solemnly swear NEVER to tune a tenor gCEA again. The dGBE tenor tuning is the thing for me. If I want the high tuning, I'll grab my soprano.

What strings are you using for that tuning. I might just have to do that to mine as I really did love the sound it produced...........might have had something to do with your playing........no it definitely had a lot to do with your playing.

Camsuke
03-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Congratulations Doc, the Gretsch sounds really sweet.

Ukejenny
03-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Lovely sound, and lovely playing!!!!

My husband's first ukulele (gift from me) was a Gretsch solid mahogany tenor, the first year they came out with the Roots collection. It is lovely, sweet, resonant, very well built. Came with a high G and he has left it that way since he inherited my low G tenor (I'm a concert girl). I think Gretsch, as a brand in general, is underrated by many. They make some sweet ukuleles.

Sadly, the year after I gave him the Gretsch, I tried to look it up and they had already discontinued it. Glad we got it when we had the chance. I hope he never parts with it.

drbekken
03-30-2016, 07:46 PM
What strings are you using for that tuning. I might just have to do that to mine as I really did love the sound it produced...........might have had something to do with your playing........no it definitely had a lot to do with your playing.
Thanks, Dave...the strings in the video are Aquilas; the dGBE set for tenors. They came with a red 3rd string (G), which I immediately replaced with a wound guitar D string, tuned then to G. I love the sound and the feel; the horrible string tension of the C tuned tenor is all gone.

kohanmike
03-30-2016, 09:17 PM
I also bought one of the early version Roots, the G9121 A.C.E., 1/4 sawn honey mahogany and solid top, cutaway, Fishman Kula preamp. I liked it, but when I culled my collection down from 16 to 4, that was one which went, but I have no regrets. They just reissued it, $219 at most retailers.

Ukulele Eddie
03-30-2016, 09:22 PM
Nice, very nice. It's so great to have nice sounding and looking instruments available at such affordable (to most) prices. We are so spoiled in the ukulele world.

sam13
03-31-2016, 06:02 AM
Wow ... really nice video ... love the tone and playing.

I am gonna put a set of Craig Chee's on one of my tenors ...