Uhh? I guess this would get some comments...

One of our group members brought a charango to jam recently. It was made from the shell of a type of armadillo with hair, and still had some hair on the shell.

Too weird for me. I'll let the armadillos roam, or do whatever they do.

-Steve

Yep, they're weird. That's why I had to buy a charango when a local shop had one on consignment a few years ago. I posted a NCD thread, and people asked me if I was worried about contracting leprosy, which is apparently an issue in armadillos.

Not my thing. At all. And all the armadillos that I see in Alabama are smashed on the side of the road, so those shells are compromised.

I was never into the appeal of having a dead armadillo shell attached to a stick with strings. That is, until I realized I don't have too much of a problem having a goat skin on my djembe, sitting in leather seats, etc. The leprosy thing OTOH... ;)

I was never into the appeal of having a dead armadillo shell attached to a stick with strings. That is, until I realized I don't have too much of a problem having a goat skin on my djembe, sitting in leather seats, etc. The leprosy thing OTOH... ;)

I walk around with dead cow skin tied to my feet. How strange is that?

That's got to be the creepiest thing I've seen in a while...

Watch out for the goat-skinned djembes. A few years ago, there were some cases of anthrax associated with drums headed with West African goat skins. Not that it's stopped me and my wife. We have about 10 djembes in the house right now! :cool:

Watch out for the goat-skinned djembes. A few years ago, there were some cases of anthrax associated with drums headed with West African goat skins. Not that it's stopped me and my wife. We have about 10 djembes in the house right now! :cool:

That's a nice collection! I only buy from Drumskulls, but that's good to know. My first djemb head is still going strong over 10 years!

I walk around with dead cow skin tied to my feet. How strange is that?
The many lovely greenhouse gas-absorbing trees whose butchered remains make up my ukuleles were once thriving homes to countless furry and feathered fauna, invertebrates and microorganisms.

I am the walrus

"I used to be a walrus - now I am a boat" is a gaily sung song from the King Island Christmas play set in the Aleutians.
It always struck me as a little suspect, but I'm from a different culture. I think John Lennon might wish he could be a musical instrument, rather than an umiak, now that he's no longer the walrus, RIP.

If you get one of those charingas, learn to play Jerry Jeff's London Homesick Blues on it and you'll never forget it at your gig.

-Vinnie in Juneau

Not for me. I don't even want ivory on my instruments. I like live critters, not dead ones. I don't even own a rubber chicken.

The many lovely greenhouse gas-absorbing trees whose butchered remains make up my ukuleles were once thriving homes to countless furry and feathered fauna, invertebrates and microorganisms.

Thank you for this addition. I am a true lover of the wild and conservationist. However, we must realize that just about everything we do has an impact. Our cotton has just as much blood on it as our leather when you consider the countless critters that are plowed under, nests destroyed, etc., when we plant and harvest cotton, or when we grow soybeans, or any crop. That's why I believe you should do what you can for the environment and the critters, but live life.

I guess its ok to hijack my own thread. ;-)

Top Bottom