strumming method"?

Martynas

Reaction score
what strumming method you use? with thumb or index finger? or when you add all fingers to one pite and which one is best in your opinion? if you know some good how to strum videos post it below! :p:p:p

Personally, I bounce between "standard" Index finger, and Kimo's Thumb and index(thumb down, index up) so you get all finger pad and no nail.

Ukulele Mike/Mike Lynch has a lot of YouTube videos showing different strum patterns.

Ukulele Mike/Mike Lynch has a lot of YouTube videos showing different strum patterns.

I'll second the comment by ZappCatt. Ukulele Mike has good resources on youtube to include good strumming patterns for 3/4 time, 4/4 time, etc. He also has a ton of videos of easy songs available with strumming patterns and chords.

I use both thumb and index, mostly index, but interchange throughout strumming.

Last edited:
I do thumb and index finger.

I use a lot of index unless I'm wanting to play something a little more mellow.

Do what feels right for you!

I was all index finger for my whole (short) uke life even though my teacher kept trying to nudge me towards the thumb/index finger/just meat, no nails method. Now I switch between them, using "just meat" method for softer parts and moving into index/fingernail for louder parts. Just play around and you'll find that either can be good. One song can sound very different when you strum it differently.

I think that you have a little more control when you're using "just meat" so if you want to emphasize certain strings for melody, that's a good way to do it.

but its like few times harder to strum just meat because you keep hitting strings when you strum :D with nail you do it but not that often and mostly g and a strings only when you go up or down

I dont really have a method per se, I just go for it. I think mainly its a downsweep with the backs of my fingers/nails, and up on the thumb.

I use my ring and long finger on the down strum (nail side) and thumb on the up (nail side). Works for me. Dont be locked into a certain way of strumming, try thumb, index, claw etc etc and see what feels best for you.

I dont really have a method per se, I just go for it. I think mainly its a downsweep with the backs of my fingers/nails, and up on the thumb.

so you use index nail on the way down and then thumb nail on the way up? That's different. If I'm using nail, I'm all index finger both ways. I'll give your way a try when I get home.

I use my ring and long finger on the down strum (nail side) and thumb on the up (nail side). Works for me. Dont be locked into a certain way of strumming, try thumb, index, claw etc etc and see what feels best for you.

You're doing two fingers on the way down and not using index?

It's surprising to me how many different ways people do this. Wish I had a uke in my office to try this.

That's how I used to do it on guitar. :)

(Haven't decided what to use with ukes yet - still experimenting - including my picking options.)

i go down with index's nail and up with index's meat

You're doing two fingers on the way down and not using index?

It's surprising to me how many different ways people do this. Wish I had a uke in my office to try this.

Yes, just like you described. Never felt comfy with the index.

Yes, just like you described. Never felt comfy with the index.

I tried it, it felt weird but after awhile I could do it ok. I'm not good at making it sound good though, too loud with the double down fingers compared to the thumb and the whole thing is louder than I usually strum. Do you have any vids of you, or anyone else that you know of, strumming like this?

I dont have a video of me, but Brett McQueen uses this way of strumming as well. Unfortunatly his video of strumming isnt available on YouTube but found a video of "Ive been working on the railroad". http://youtu.be/hZ0a8-Cg-d0

Top Bottom