PDA

View Full Version : FS Collings UT2 Sunburst

DownUpDave
03-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Sound sample added to post #16

This is now SOLD

PRICE DROP TO SOLD as of April 9 at 5:30 pm

For sale is a Collings UT2 in full sunburst finish. For those that don't know these are tenor size, solid figured mahogany.

Like all Collings the build quality is flawless as is the finish. Collings has a reputation for doing some of the very best sunburst colorings and this does not dissappoint. With my phone and tablet cameras I cannot truely capture how beautifully done this is. The figure and ribboning under the lighter area of sunburst are outstanding.

This is probably 3 years old and I bought this from a member here about 16 months ago. It has upgraded gold Gotoh UPT tuners.This is an easy 9.0 out of 10 with no highly visible strum marks, no scratches, nicks, dings or dents, excellent condition. But remember this not a new flawless instrument. If you look really hard you will see some slight, very faint lines on the finish on the back and front.These are impossible to photograph and almost as tough to see in person. You gotta look pretty hard to notice them. The sound is open and full with very good resonance and sustain for a reentrant strung ukulele.

Price is paypal and shipped anywhere in continental North America. Comes with a hard case which I will talk about in the next post with more pictures. I will sell and ship internationally as long as you pay the extra shipping cost. That might be another $50.00 or so.

rappsy
03-30-2016, 02:24 PM
Will your MOJO be included?

Would you consider this to be a brighter or mellower uke? Mahogany is usually mellower but with the Collings finish, it might just brighten it up.

If you don't know this man, you must be new around here. Feel confident in dealing with him.

Best on the sale.

DownUpDave
03-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Hey Lenny......don't know about MOJO on it but maybe some real Canadian maple syrup.

This mahogany uke is interesting. Warm and mellow when strummed but bright and articulate when finger picked.

Simon and I were at Luis's shop last night (LfdM) and I brought it along to show him. He asks me to bring stuff over from time to time so he can see how other builders go about their craft. He commented on how good the single note clarity was.

Still not bright enough for you my sparkly little friend. I know you like em REALLY bright sounding

rappsy
03-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Maple syrup is good. Send some anyway.

You and Hodge do have me interested in a Collings, but perhaps with a Spruce top, which should satisfy my quench for a brighter sound,so I am going to start looking for one. I only have Koa Ukes now. That last thread of his with the Collings and Ono spruce tops was a real eye opener.

Someone here is going to get your beauty of a Uke.

billten
03-31-2016, 03:46 AM
Just beautiful sunburst uke Dave, these puppies are over $2k new so someone’s getting a great deal.

keod
03-31-2016, 03:50 AM
All of Dave's deals are great! I can attest to the amazing mojo that will come with it. Buyer will not be disappointed in any aspect of a transaction with this gent.

Django
03-31-2016, 03:50 AM
Nice looking instrument. Mahogany is my favorite tonewood.

I see that there is a strap button on the heel of the neck. Is there an end pin or strap button through the end block too? If so, does it still fit into the Collings case?

DownUpDave
03-31-2016, 08:40 AM
Nice looking instrument. Mahogany is my favorite tonewood.

I see that there is a strap button on the heel of the neck. Is there an end pin or strap button through the end block too? If so, does it still fit into the Collings case?

Yes there is a strap button on the heel. Yes it will fit into the Collings case but it is VERY tight and you have to push it firmly into place.

I planned on doing photos of this issue and an alternative case if someone wants it instead. Should be able to do it tonight.

stevejfc
03-31-2016, 09:50 AM
Man, that's one sweet deal on a nice high-end uke. You don't happen to have a similar concert laying around? (Can't hurt to ask!)

DownUpDave
03-31-2016, 12:22 PM
Man, that's one sweet deal on a nice high-end uke. You don't happen to have a similar concert laying around? (Can't hurt to ask!)

You are right it can't hurt to ask but unfortunately no Collings concert in the flock.

DownUpDave
04-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Lets talk about a hardcase for this instrument as mentioned in my first post. Django brought up a good point and one I want to address, fitting it into the case with a strap button on the heel. The Collings case fits like a glove and is really tight, so tight that the heel strap button sticks out past the case. See pictures. Number One is of the button on top of the case and stickng out. The second picture shows it slid into the case.

It will go but you have to put the shoulders of the upper bout in first then grab the back of the case and pull or stretch it out as you slide the back end into the case. Sounds scary but I have travelled twice with the uke on week long vacations using this case. But I bought a Kala Uke Crazy tweed case that I keep it in all the time. This case has never left the house and is in new condition.

See pictures of the two cases together. You can chose either case and I will keep the other. Sorry for the novel but Collings owners know why I want to make sure you understand exactely what you are getting into with a Collings case and a tenor with strap button on the bottom.

Camsuke
04-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Hi Dave,

You could always fit a lower profile strap button. I know this from experience, the Collings cases are super tight. Good luck with the sale mate, that is one beautiful ukulele at a great price.

SoloRule
04-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Dave
I still can't believe you are selling this. It's one of your favourite!

Django
04-03-2016, 04:04 AM
Is there any chance that you could put up a sound sample?

Thanks

sam13
04-03-2016, 10:26 AM
I have the pleasure of living close to my friend with his gaggle of Ukuleles.

This one is beautiful to look at and produces a warm Collings mahogany sound that is enviable and satisfying.

The new owner will be quite happy.

DownUpDave
04-03-2016, 01:49 PM
https://app.box.com/s/wdhha0hssm3hbzd5p6u1x7f7ngp2wuza

Django had asked for a sound sample and here is a quick one I just did. This is recorded directly onto my Samsung phone, no external mic, it is raw and unedited

rappsy
04-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Nice sound sample Dave. You've got a little Flamenco thing going on in the middle of that. Did you have a rose in your mouth while playing it? :shaka:

DownUpDave
04-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Nice sound sample Dave. You've got a little Flamenco thing going on in the middle of that. Did you have a rose in your mouth while playing it? :shaka:

Thanks Lenny. No Rose in the mouth........ just some Cajun beef jerky

mountain goat
04-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Excellent sound demo, brother.
This is without question one of the best uke deals out there right now.

DownUpDave
04-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Excellent sound demo, brother.3
This is without question one of the best uke deals out there right now.

Thanks Jon. These sell new at $2450.00 when you can find them. As Brenda said she is suprised I am selling it. So am I because I love it but it really shines as a reentrant and I am a low G guy. I play this maybe once every two weeks, got a super soprano and an Opio concert for my high G moods. It is way too nice to be stuck in a case

flyingace
04-07-2016, 07:38 AM
OH how I wish I could buy your Collings. I remember when this one was up for sale here and I loved it then! Sadly, we are still going through a bankruptcy after insurance didn't cover my wife's cancer treatments. Can't make purchases over $500 for a while, especially not luxury items. :(

I can drool though! Best of luck with your sale of one of the BEST tenor ukes ever made!

DownUpDave
04-07-2016, 10:58 AM
OH how I wish I could buy your Collings. I remember when this one was up for sale here and I loved it then! Sadly, we are still going through a bankruptcy after insurance didn't cover my wife's cancer treatments. Can't make purchases over $500 for a while, especially not luxury items. :(

I can drool though! Best of luck with your sale of one of the BEST tenor ukes ever made!

Hi Patrick

I am so sorry to hear of your financial situation. I hope your wife wife is doing well, that is the main thing.

Thanks for the kind words about this ukulele, it sounds as beautiful as it looks. I wish you could have it but there appears I might have a buyer for it. There has been a lot of interest.

DownUpDave
04-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Sale pending, awaiting payment

DownUpDave
04-09-2016, 10:55 AM
This uke is back up for sale.

I truly believe I was trying to be scamed. Brand new member, no posts, over five days he goes from agreeing to everything via Paypal to wanting me to send him an invoice and my bank account information so he can transfer the funds in 3-5 days.

rappsy
04-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Glad you saw through that. Make sure Admin knows who it is so they can watch for future events like this.

sam13
04-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Report the scammer to the admin so they can toss them out! Perhaps write a post on it.

DownUpDave
04-09-2016, 11:36 AM
I am a bit sickened by what just happened and someon trying to scam me.

I have now dropped the price to $1300.00 shipped to North American, Paypal only. For long term legitimate members I will throw in a few goodies and maybe even a better discount. I want this to go to someone who will play it and love it and talk about as much here as I did.

Or I just keep it.

Patrick Madsen
04-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Seems like it wants to stay with you Dave. This is an opportunity for someone to get a really first class instrument at a reasonable cost.

We all have stories of the ones that got away. I'd keep it and price it where it deserves to be. If a person comes along who you feel is a good fit for the uke; you can always lower the price if needed. I have a '62 Martin bari I feel more about where it goes over the money it's worth.

greenie44
04-09-2016, 01:17 PM

I have now dropped the price to $1300.00 shipped to North American, Paypal only. For long term legitimate members I will throw in a few goodies and maybe even a better discount. I want this to go to someone who will play it and love it and talk about as much here as I did.

Or I just keep it.

I have a Koa UT2, and if it were not for that, I would be all over this. Collings are magic. This is a great price. Good luck.

And I completely agree with your verdict on re-entrant tuning. My Kinnard sounds good linear, but the Collings is made for re-entrant.

strumsilly
04-09-2016, 02:28 PM

Or I just keep it.
ok. i'll help this end well. especially with the better discount. I'm long tern, I'm not sure about legitimate. pm'd you.

Uke man
04-09-2016, 02:30 PM
I'll be in line for backup.

johnson430
04-09-2016, 03:41 PM
ok. i'll help this end well. especially with the better discount. I'm long tern, I'm not sure about legitimate. pm'd you.

Good luck Strumsilly.
This looks and sounds like an amazing uke...and worth 'keeping in the family'.

DownUpDave
04-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanks Andy, you are big time legit in my books
It's a fabulous instrument and I know you'll enjoy it

Ir. Yong
04-10-2016, 01:21 AM
Thanks Andy, you are big time legit in my books
It's a fabulous instrument and I know you'll enjoy it

Dave (DownUpDave),

I'm disappointed with your twist and turn, untrustworthy action. You are the senior UU member can simply accused i (junior member) try to scam you. What can i scam you????

You've offered me the sale price of USD1,200 and to share the shipping, i've accepted your offered price. I even accepted your offer before you show me all the details Photos that i requested.

Which you have twisted your own words of how good is your perfect Collings and you have to clarified it. (i feel that people do mistake so i choose to forget about it and still trust you and i respect you as a senior member).

I requested invoice from you just for the exchange of Malaysia Ringgit to USD as required by bank regulation to transfer money from bank account to PayPal.

You've ask me why not use my credit card for Paypal payment, I've explained in detailed to you that If i transfer money from my account to PayPal account will save USD200+ for exchange rate but need your help to give me a invoice. You've accepted my explanation.

However, You told me you are no working cannot do it.

I then in the good will to offered you to prepare the invoice send to you and then to my Paypal account. You've agreed to it on Saturday.

I told you, i will ask my secretary to prepare and transfer fund and to pay you by Monday. You show your unhappy and telling me how fast you get pay from last sale. Some one is interested of your collings Ukulele.

I choose to be calm and respect you senior member, i still try to accommodate and give fast payment proposal, I seeking your approval for the direct TT to your bank account.

I also offered pay all the charges and you save your PayPal Charges and full amount. i even offered you to change to Cannadian dollar in full, since you are from Canada. The money will reach in you account in 2 to 3 days time. (If you use PayPal you need to wait 4 days to get money). And the risk is all at my side, since, i choose to trust you.

This morning, i received your unprofessional email telling me that you do not want to get scammed, i've to transfer the money in hours or the deal is off.

I'm disappointed with your action that you putting up the statement on this forum accused junior member try to scam you. How to scam you??? what a joke!!!!

I can accept it, if you tell me straight that there are other offered better price and not this type of accusation.

Please uphold integrity and trust for this forum and market place.

If you wish, i welcome to Publish our email in this forum for all to judge.

Thank god, giving me good fate no to own a bad Aura collings UT2 SB...

Good luck to you and the next buyer.

DownUpDave
04-10-2016, 02:02 AM
Nice try lr. Yong but you will not slander me into thinking any differently about our proposed agreement. Our intial agreement was paypal but you kept changing the terms and conditions to include invoices, then wanting my address and then yesterday you wanted my bank account information. Sorry but even if you are legitimate I will not sell to you because you kept changing the way I asked for this transaction to go. You went so far as to ask me to supply you with an invoice for a $75.00 repair to avoid taxes. Your morals are in question now not mine.

Just so you know I am selling this to another member for the same price of $1200.00. This has nothing to do with my integrety, I asked you to pay for this in a certain manner in a certain time and you did not. So I exercised my right as the seller to refuse to sell it to you.

Yesterday at 3:15 pm you emailed me suggesting we abandon paypal and do a bank transfer into my account. I then quickly responded that was not acceptable and to make payment within one hour to my paypal account or the deal was off. I heard nothing from you until 11:00 last night. Interestly enough that was after I agreed to sell it to another member.

sam13
04-10-2016, 02:09 AM
#ibeleivedave

DownUpDave
04-10-2016, 02:23 AM
#ibeleivedave

Thanks.

Last night I shared the last 4 emails I received from lr. yong with sam13, he has read them all

SOLD........THANK YOU UU