Icky or Cool: Binding Choice

sequoia

Reaction score
Bought this binding out of China thinking it might look cool. Now that I look at it, I'm thinking it is just too...blue? I've got some nice cocobollo binding that I'm thinking would look better. Decisions decisions. The bummer is that I bought about 14 feet of the stuff...

DSCN6721-001.jpg

You might want to save it for a more "whimsical" build. ;)

Exactly. This is too nice a build to put that... that stuff on. Perhaps on a beach going build with a heavy duty koa top and palm tree inlays on the peg head. Mahalo nui loa! That might be cool.

It has potential. Probably not with that wood combination, though. Spruce on maple with a blue and white theme would be pretty cool.

On second thought, it would look pretty cool with that wood combination!

Looks like your trying to match with the sound hole decor but not quite the same ? ..... either match or different not nearly for me!

I d have i cup of tea and think about it! (i know you like tea!)

The build looks nice and the bear scratched wood is a winner for me.

Looks like youve edged the shell for the rossette with something though cant see from the picture I d match that around the edges somehow to tie the design together nicely.

If were mine would put some more of the rossette material on the head to reference it all together......

But design is a gut feeling so over to you!

r

If it was me I wouldn't use that binding on that particular uke. Not because or the material but rather that it doesn't seem to go with your rossette.
Definately use the binding on other ukes though ... about time those blue tortoises gave the brown tortoises a run for their money :)

Not being a fan of most anything blue I do like that binding against the darker wood of the sides yet not so much with the lighter top.

As a tattoo artist I learned a longtime ago that if I were to draw everything my way not everyone will appreciate it.

Always do what feels right! Unlike customizing a car or bike if there isn't a specific buyer requesting a blue binding even on that ukulele I do not think it so far from the usual that it will go unloved for long.

~AL~

I wouldn't bind a pile of manure with that. Nice looking uke though!

I think that blue plastic would look pretty decent, if not good, on an ocean themed uke.

I can easily picture the blue binding on a figured maple body stained blue. I bought lengths of most of the crazy Chinese celluloid bindings, and they'll get used eventually (I really like the one they call coffee-colored). They're not for pucker-butt conservatives, though, player or builder.

ok so most self respecting players would probably not admit to owning one with that type of binding but hey ... if you make some ukes for your kids I'm sure they'd find it fun. It's interesting (to me at least) that kids like the fun colours and funky stuff but adults like to conform to more conservative (not sure that is the right word) tastes that more often than not very similar to other adults. ... ok I am talking BS now ... better stop.

As soon as I saw it I was thinking "bowling ball". I agree with an earlier poster's suggestion that maybe it could be used for a more whimsical build. Maybe a kitschy bowling theme or something similar or maybe something painted or stained in a matching blue. I don't think it is a very good match with the pictured uke.

Oh come on guys....its not that tacky. It will be different but that's ok.
If its the only uke you build then you should probably go more conservative. But if you build regularly then I could see a series of these blue bound babies.
I do agree that it would probably look best against maple instead of mahogany

Looks like bass boat binding.

Rick Turner had a bunch of this material pink,blue,orange,white etc a few years ago......he called it Mother of Toilet Seat...haha..not sure he ever used it on a uke/guitar

Last edited:
Too bad it is really pretty binding. As much as I like it against the darker wood not the spruce after reading about the mother spruce and its connection to Native Americans I can only think of all the turquoise and coral used in much or their artwork and jewelry.

Ive seen blue ukuleles and honestly wouldn't touch them, I like the blue against the dark wood not the light further proving the many different tastes we all have in what looks good to us. A mahogany or walnut soprano with that blue binding MOT or not along with a matching head stock veneer and/or tuning buttons just might get my wallet open for yet another uke.

But alas I do not build or draw for the masses I have carved much skin laying ink for tattoos but that is much more personal. Maybe I need to get a bit of that blue trim and give it a go with the walnut soprano from Mr Wei I do not have much love for. BTW with green being my favorite color I have no interest in any green ukuleles or trim. Bowling balls in the 70's looked very cool.

~peace~

I've seen that kind of binding on old tenor resonator banjos from the 20's -40's. With the right colored uke, it would look good, classy even.

If that guy "Jake Shimmybuckyouknowwhoimeen" made one of his superb videos with this binding on his uke....It would become standard on all top end ukes. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom