Guilele

You sure picked a decent one. If it's within your price range, hard to beat.

For about the past year or so, the common wisdom says that the Cordoba Mini is the best inexpensive ($200-$300 depending upon wood combo) guilele/guitalele so far.

One big thing that sets is apart is the scale length which is 21" IIRC, as opposed to the plethora of other models that are tenor (17") scale.

ALSO, Cordoba has partnered with Aquila to offer special strings for the Cordoba Mini for both standard EADGBE tuning (at proper tension) as well as the more typical guilele/guitalele tuning of ADGCEA (which is really the only option if using standard classical guitar strings and you want ANYTHING close to proper intonation and tension) on a shorter than baritone-type scale lengths...

HMS ALSO sells the Cordoba Mini in all three flavors, AS WELL AS the special string sets in both tuning/tension types.

I have the Yamaha GL-1 which is 17" scale, and had bought it before I even started with ukulele, and it was a sort of stepping stone for me on my way to ukulele. I got the GL-1 from Musicians Friend in the USA when they had it on their 'Stupid Deal Of The Day' sale back in Dec'12 for only $69 brand new & free shipping.

It needed no setup and intonation and string action were spot on. Later I installed a MiSi Acoustic Trio pickup in it, and plugged in, it sounds HUGE compared to the acoustic sound. I really love the MiSi pickups and have them in other ukes too.
When funds allow, I want to get a Cordoba Mini Ovangkol model, but by then something new will probably be out too...:music:

Last edited:
go to guitar center and check out the cordoba mini. last time i checked one near me they both had a mini-m and a mini-o.

We don't have the luxury of trying this type of instrument out in person. The closest guitar centre we have is in Buffalo, NY. I visited three times , their displays are always dusty and full of dents. Very small with limited inventory unlike those big one in Texas.
I will keep an eyes on HMS. I think the Cordoba definitely require special set-up!

We don't have the luxury of trying this type of instrument out in person. The closest guitar centre we have is in Buffalo, NY. I visited three times , their displays are always dusty and full of dents. Very small with limited inventory unlike those big one in Texas.
I will keep an eyes on HMS. I think the Cordoba definitely require special set-up!

I just checked elderly and they have all three models of the Cordoba mini. Spruce mahogany, spruce rosewood and Ovangkal.:)Looks like a road trip to Michigan is in order.

https://youtu.be/5_dnYOa5w-w

Here's the Yamaha GL-1 set up with Southcoast's 'Eddie Freeman Special Strings'. They allow for a re-entrant type of E to E tuning; with strings 4,5&6 one octave up. The sound is pretty cool.

Last edited:
I just checked elderly and they have all three models of the Cordoba mini. Spruce mahogany, spruce rosewood and Ovangkal.:)Looks like a road trip to Michigan is in order.

Dave : I did it last year. It's your turn this year.

If the longer scale of the mini isn't a problem, I'd suggest that.
I've played both the yamaha and the mini.. and the mini is way better.

Look for Alulu guitarlele on the eBay. There pretty darn good instruments. Love mine!

I adapted the kids' mini guitar to be a guitarlele. Tuning is similar but with a low G. Works well but the neck is very narrow

Here it is, a little 3/4 Palma classical, made by JHS. I retuned it to be like a guitarlele, ADGCEA

Attachments

• PicsArt_03-31-06.09.24.jpg
    PicsArt_03-31-06.09.24.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The problem with the yamaha and basic cordoba is the narrow nut. That may not bother you but it really bothers me. I wish one of these had a 52mm nut:

here's a short list of nut widths:

tenor scale:

eddie finn ef-g6 44.5mm (eddie finn)
cordoba guilele 46mm (HMS)
yamaha GL1 47.625mm
Kala GL Koa 47.625mm (HMS)
Gretsch 9126 47.625mm (HMS)
alulu *undetermined* (ebay)

baritone scale:

cordoba mini 50mm (HMS)
islander gl6 50mm (HMS)
alulu 50mm or undetermined (ebay)

1 7/8" -> 47.625mm

typical classical guitar is 52mm.

sources:
http://support.theukulelesite.com/customer/portal/questions/11383913-guitalele-options
HMS product pages
http://alulu-ukulele.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_46

Last edited:
The problem with the yamaha and basic cordoba is the narrow nut. That may not bother you but it really bothers me.

This is definitely something to be considered if you want to get a guitalele/guilele. Takes some time getting used to, for sure.

I think if you're coming from steel string the narrower nuts might not be an issue.
If you're coming from uke or classical, the narrow nut feels really cramped.
It feels weird now going back to steel string guitar.

I have the Cordoba Mini m and I like it a lot. I've been playing ukulele for about 3-4 years and I wanted to try dabbling in guitar again. I bought a Taylor GS Mini, which I love, and because of my delight in learning guitar this time, I wanted a second travel size guitar that I could slouch in bed with, hike with, throw in the car with. I chose the Cordoba Mini M and I'm finding it easy and a joy to play. AND, it has a very nice tone.

I think if you're coming from steel string the narrower nuts might not be an issue.
If you're coming from uke or classical, the narrow nut feels really cramped.
It feels weird now going back to steel string guitar.

Hmmm that's not good.

I saw an Islander at Cosmo in Richmond Hill not too long ago. Probably still there if you are just looking to try something out.

Top Bottom