PDA

View Full Version : Guilele

SoloRule
03-31-2016, 03:32 AM
Looking for recommendations of a decent Guilele.
Am I able to use guitar tabs?
Saw this one in HMS video and peak my interest. Played my old guitar last night, it's way too big now!

https://vimeo.com/160854657

PhilUSAFRet
03-31-2016, 03:39 AM
You sure picked a decent one. If it's within your price range, hard to beat.

Booli
03-31-2016, 03:52 AM
For about the past year or so, the common wisdom says that the Cordoba Mini is the best inexpensive ($200-$300 depending upon wood combo) guilele/guitalele so far.

One big thing that sets is apart is the scale length which is 21" IIRC, as opposed to the plethora of other models that are tenor (17") scale.

ALSO, Cordoba has partnered with Aquila to offer special strings for the Cordoba Mini for both standard EADGBE tuning (at proper tension) as well as the more typical guilele/guitalele tuning of ADGCEA (which is really the only option if using standard classical guitar strings and you want ANYTHING close to proper intonation and tension) on a shorter than baritone-type scale lengths...

HMS ALSO sells the Cordoba Mini in all three flavors, AS WELL AS the special string sets in both tuning/tension types.

I have the Yamaha GL-1 which is 17" scale, and had bought it before I even started with ukulele, and it was a sort of stepping stone for me on my way to ukulele. I got the GL-1 from Musicians Friend in the USA when they had it on their 'Stupid Deal Of The Day' sale back in Dec'12 for only $69 brand new & free shipping.

It needed no setup and intonation and string action were spot on. Later I installed a MiSi Acoustic Trio pickup in it, and plugged in, it sounds HUGE compared to the acoustic sound. I really love the MiSi pickups and have them in other ukes too.
When funds allow, I want to get a Cordoba Mini Ovangkol model, but by then something new will probably be out too...:music:

bnolsen
03-31-2016, 03:52 AM
go to guitar center and check out the cordoba mini. last time i checked one near me they both had a mini-m and a mini-o.

SoloRule
03-31-2016, 05:36 AM
We don't have the luxury of trying this type of instrument out in person. The closest guitar centre we have is in Buffalo, NY. I visited three times , their displays are always dusty and full of dents. Very small with limited inventory unlike those big one in Texas.
I will keep an eyes on HMS. I think the Cordoba definitely require special set-up!

DownUpDave
03-31-2016, 05:48 AM
We don't have the luxury of trying this type of instrument out in person. The closest guitar centre we have is in Buffalo, NY. I visited three times , their displays are always dusty and full of dents. Very small with limited inventory unlike those big one in Texas.
I will keep an eyes on HMS. I think the Cordoba definitely require special set-up!

I just checked elderly and they have all three models of the Cordoba mini. Spruce mahogany, spruce rosewood and Ovangkal.:-)Looks like a road trip to Michigan is in order.

drbekken
03-31-2016, 05:51 AM
https://youtu.be/5_dnYOa5w-w

Here's the Yamaha GL-1 set up with Southcoast's 'Eddie Freeman Special Strings'. They allow for a re-entrant type of E to E tuning; with strings 4,5&6 one octave up. The sound is pretty cool.

SoloRule
03-31-2016, 05:53 AM
I just checked elderly and they have all three models of the Cordoba mini. Spruce mahogany, spruce rosewood and Ovangkal.:-)Looks like a road trip to Michigan is in order.

Dave : I did it last year. It's your turn this year.

spookelele
03-31-2016, 06:14 AM
If the longer scale of the mini isn't a problem, I'd suggest that.
I've played both the yamaha and the mini.. and the mini is way better.

dwh
03-31-2016, 06:48 AM
Look for Alulu guitarlele on the eBay. There pretty darn good instruments. Love mine!

LarryS
03-31-2016, 07:06 AM
I adapted the kids' mini guitar to be a guitarlele. Tuning is similar but with a low G. Works well but the neck is very narrow

LarryS
03-31-2016, 07:11 AM
Here it is, a little 3/4 Palma classical, made by JHS. I retuned it to be like a guitarlele, ADGCEA

SoloRule
03-31-2016, 07:35 AM
I think I can get my hand on the Yamaha.
I bet it's more like a kid step to guitar?

blodzoom
03-31-2016, 08:05 AM
https://youtu.be/5_dnYOa5w-w

Here's the Yamaha GL-1 set up with Southcoast's 'Eddie Freeman Special Strings'. They allow for a re-entrant type of E to E tuning; with strings 5,6&7 one octave up. The sound is pretty cool.

I didn't even know that I wanted one of these, now I do.

bnolsen
03-31-2016, 08:16 AM
The problem with the yamaha and basic cordoba is the narrow nut. That may not bother you but it really bothers me. I wish one of these had a 52mm nut:

here's a short list of nut widths:

tenor scale:

eddie finn ef-g6 44.5mm (eddie finn)
cordoba guilele 46mm (HMS)
yamaha GL1 47.625mm
Kala GL Koa 47.625mm (HMS)
Gretsch 9126 47.625mm (HMS)
alulu *undetermined* (ebay)

baritone scale:

cordoba mini 50mm (HMS)
islander gl6 50mm (HMS)
alulu 50mm or undetermined (ebay)

1 7/8" -> 47.625mm

typical classical guitar is 52mm.

sources:
http://support.theukulelesite.com/customer/portal/questions/11383913-guitalele-options
HMS product pages
http://alulu-ukulele.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_46

drbekken
03-31-2016, 08:35 AM
The problem with the yamaha and basic cordoba is the narrow nut. That may not bother you but it really bothers me.

This is definitely something to be considered if you want to get a guitalele/guilele. Takes some time getting used to, for sure.

spookelele
03-31-2016, 08:40 AM
I think if you're coming from steel string the narrower nuts might not be an issue.
If you're coming from uke or classical, the narrow nut feels really cramped.
It feels weird now going back to steel string guitar.

EmmaQ
03-31-2016, 09:37 AM
I have the Cordoba Mini m and I like it a lot. I've been playing ukulele for about 3-4 years and I wanted to try dabbling in guitar again. I bought a Taylor GS Mini, which I love, and because of my delight in learning guitar this time, I wanted a second travel size guitar that I could slouch in bed with, hike with, throw in the car with. I chose the Cordoba Mini M and I'm finding it easy and a joy to play. AND, it has a very nice tone.

SoloRule
03-31-2016, 09:45 AM
I think if you're coming from steel string the narrower nuts might not be an issue.

Hmmm that's not good.

Alytw
03-31-2016, 10:31 AM
I saw an Islander at Cosmo in Richmond Hill not too long ago. Probably still there if you are just looking to try something out.

hendulele
03-31-2016, 10:39 AM

Yes. I bought my wife the Cordoba for Christmas a couple years back, and every now and then I pick it up. I often end up using one finger to bar two strings when I play E or D, otherwise they get in each other's way. (And I don't have the reach to stretch across even that narrow nut, so I have to use open strings.)

bigphil
03-31-2016, 05:52 PM
I purchased an Islander GL6-EQ recently, this model also has a 20" scale length and a super tenor size body. Lots of resonance and a wide nut. I really like it when I need some low notes! :)

Booli
04-01-2016, 03:30 AM
The problem with the yamaha and basic cordoba is the narrow nut. That may not bother you but it really bothers me. I wish one of these had a 52mm nut...typical classical guitar is 52mm.

Aye.

String-to-string spacing on a ukulele is WIDER even than a classical guitar, typically by 2-3mm PER STRING wider, so the adjustment can be a PITA for some folks (such as myself), especially after playing the uke almost exclusively for nearly one yr, and then going back to the classical guitar, the frets were far apart and the strings too close, even after playing a tenor or baritone most of the time.

On a classical guitar with a FULL SIZE nut of 52mm you have 6 strings crammed in, whereas on most baritone and some tenor ukes with a 38-40mm nut width you only have 4 strings, which have more space between them.

Pirate Jim
04-01-2016, 03:54 AM
I've got the Kala version of the guitalele - solid spruce top, laminate b/s. Build quality is as you'd expect for Kala and it's around the same price as a Cordoba Mini (a little cheaper). I went for it as I really wanted the tenor scale rather than the baritone scale that the Cordoba and Islander ones have - 17" scale is just right for me. If I'd had the money I'd have gone for a KoAloha DV-I but that will have to stay on the wish list!

As a guitarist turned uke-er, I absolutely love it. I haven't played my ukes much at all for the last few months - I always grab the guitalele first. It took a few goes to get used to the narrower string spacing again but it's not much to worry about IMO. If you're really not sure then the Yamaha ones are very cheap to just have a try out in advance of buying something higher spec.

PhilUSAFRet
04-01-2016, 05:05 AM
Ditto on the Cordoba's in the lower price range.

frets alot
04-03-2016, 12:41 AM
Another vote here for the Cordoba Mini. Nicely done.

SoloRule
04-03-2016, 01:59 AM
I borrowed a Yamaha , string spaces are too tight. Very uncomfortable to hold but the action and playability are surprisingly well. I am told it was straight out of a box with no set up.
I then came across this and wonder if I should just go straight back to guitar but a smaller size. Very tempted to buy.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/baby-taylor-taylor-swift-acoustic-travel-guitar/1151178247

DownUpDave
04-03-2016, 02:07 AM
I borrowed a Yamaha , string spaces are too tight. Very uncomfortable to hold but the action and playability are surprisingly well. I am told it was straight out of a box with no set up.
I then came across this and wonder if I should just go straight back to guitar but a smaller size. Very tempted to buy.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/baby-taylor-taylor-swift-acoustic-travel-guitar/1151178247

Brenda they have those at Cosmo if you want to give it a try. It is a steel string acoustic and nut width is only 1-5/8". If the Yamaha string spacing seems too tight this Taylor will seem worse

SoloRule
04-03-2016, 02:11 AM
Brenda they have those at Cosmo if you want to give it a try. It is a steel string acoustic and nut width is only 1-5/8". If the Yamaha string spacing seems too tight this Taylor will seem worse

I am planning to go today. Want to come?

Rakelele
04-03-2016, 02:17 AM
The Cordoba Mini and the Islander look very similar, if you check out the fretboard, neck, heel, nut width, scale length, tuners, etc. The body on the Cordoba is slightly bigger, whereas the Islander has the same specs as the Kanilea GL6, using a supersized tenor body. Those larger models are likely to sound somewhat "bigger" than the ones that feature a tenor scale length.

Nut width may be an issue. You want to have enough room for fretting cleanly; this is why a lot of the Guitaleles out there have a nut width of 50 or even 52 mm. On the other hand, such a wide neck may feel uncomfortable, as it is quite a spread for your fingers and thumb, especially if you grab the neck like an electric guitar player. If you have small hands, you might want to look for a slightly narrower nut width, something around 48 mm (1 7/8"), like the Kala, or the Kinnard Kiku.

bnolsen
04-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Nut width may be an issue. You want to have enough room for fretting cleanly; this is why a lot of the Guitaleles out there have a nut width of 50 or even 52 mm.

i have yet to see one with a 52mm nut width. If you know of any pls share.

Rakelele
04-03-2016, 07:45 AM
i have yet to see one with a 52mm nut width. If you know of any pls share.

Pepe Romero mentions making both his own Guileles as well as the Romero Creations signature model to the specs of a classical guitar. Not sure if that means 50 or 52 mm. Possibly, my thinking of nut widths ranging from 50 to 52 mm might have to do with metric conversion. The models from KoAloha and Kanilea/Islander have a 2" nut, which would convert to more than 50 mm. What I measure on my GL6 is 51 mm.

LarryS
04-03-2016, 07:49 AM
Whats the nut width on the Yamaha?

spookelele
04-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Whats the nut width on the Yamaha?

There's a list by width on page 2

SoloRule
04-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Went with DownUpDave to try the baby Taylor . It's nice!
I might just buy it.

UkeInTW
04-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Here are 3 options for some smaller "guilele range" small guitars. I have been interested in trying one, so have been doing a little researching to find one

1. I just pulled the trigger on a used Kinnard Kiku - Cocobolo/Spruce. Cant speak to it yet, as I have not received it yet. But, something you can look into if you want to commission a custom one or buy one that comes up somewhere. I bought mine from HMS. From all the Kinnard ukes I have heard, they have some great sound.

Kinnard Kiku - https://vimeo.com/135114553

2. Or Lichty also makes a kiku version that sounds nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3ma---5nc

And he makes another model called the baby bard version that is supposed to be just slightly bigger than a baritone uke body.
http://lichtyguitars.com/models/baby-bard/

3. Also, you may want to check out Pono

Pono - http://ponoguitar.com/index.php/models/ul-40sp-small-body-parlor-guitar.html?___SID=U

Uku Li'i 6 String - Small body 6 string: Overall Length 33 inches. 11 1/4" wide body, 21.4" scale.
- UL-10 Acacia top, back, and sides. Tamarind binding, abalone rosette, solid headstock, gloss finish. $1099
- UL-20 Mahogany back and sides. Spruce or Cedar top. Rosewood binding, abalone rosette, solid headstock, gloss finish $1099
- UL-30 Rosewood back and sides. Spruce or Cedar top. Maple binding, abalone rosette, solid headstock, gloss finish $1199
- UL-40 Ebony back and sides. Spruce or Cedar top. Maple binding, abalone rosette, solid headstock, gloss finish $1499
- UL-40SP same as above with addition of abalone top purfling.

Rakelele
04-03-2016, 11:59 PM
I just pulled the trigger on a used Kinnard Kiku - Cocobolo/Spruce. Cant speak to it yet, as I have not received it yet.

Oh, you're the one who snatched this one so quickly! Congratulations, great score.

Luckylibby
04-04-2016, 01:33 AM
The problem with the yamaha and basic cordoba is the narrow nut. That may not bother you but it really bothers me. I wish one of these had a 52mm nut:

here's a short list of nut widths:

cordoba guilele 46mm
yamaha GL1 47.6mm
cordoba mini 50mm
islander gl6 50mm
alulu guitarlele 47mm - 50mm

typical classical guitar is 52mm.

Kala KA-GL-KOA 49mm

UkeInTW
04-04-2016, 02:42 AM
Oh, you're the one who snatched this one so quickly! Congratulations, great score.

Yes, I was trying to be good. Told myself that I have to slow down on my UAS, after going crazy the last 2 years and purchasing just about every uke on my bucket list. Then I try to rationalize to myself, but this is not UAS, it is a guitar, so counter resets for GAS.

UkeInTW
04-04-2016, 04:01 AM
Solorule, replied to your message, but did not see the reply in my sent folder, so not sure if it went out. So, add a reply here in case you did not get the private message..

Some of the guileles come with standard ADGCEA tuning, so these would sound same as a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret. I believe these are more of the 17" size scale ones, like the Yamaha GL1, or the Cordoba mini.

The ones I listed I believe come with standard linear guitar tuning EADGBE. Southcoast strings also offers some strings for an eaDGBE re-entrant tuning, where the e and a strings are an octave higher. Zanuck Lindsey explains this special "Kiku" tuning and the advantages, but if you are more playing finger picking songs and want to play from standard guitar tabs, then the standard linear tuning seems the way to go.

The Kiku has a 20" scale, and the Pono's UL-40SP is 21.4" scale. More than body size, I was concerned with the scale/fret spacing, so wanted to try a smaller scale guitar, but still having a decent enough full sound.

Rakelele
04-04-2016, 04:21 AM
One huge difference in the options discussed here is nylon vs. steel strings. Most Guileles and the Kiku use nylon, while the Pono as well as Taylor or Martin Mini feature steel strings.

With the right strings, the Pono UL can be tuned to standard guitar tuning (EADGBE). However, according to the Pono homepage, it's really meant to be a "Terz", meaning it sounds best tuned up three steps (same intervalls as a guitar, but starting at G instead of E). This tuning would place it somewhere in between a regular guitar and a guitalele. Might actually be a nice compromise between the two. I think it's tuned like that in this video:
https://vimeo.com/139910855

Pono has also announced an UL for nylon strings, but with a 23" scale rather than 21.4".

UkeInTW
04-04-2016, 04:57 AM
Thanks Rakelele. Yes, the Kiku is nylon strings, so has a warmer, more mellow sound. And the Pono UL-40SP is steel, so brighter and punchier and will be overbraced for nylon strings. John at Pono also said it can be tuned with Terz tuning or standard guitar tuning.

bnolsen
04-04-2016, 05:06 AM
Kala KA-GL-KOA 49mm

published nut width is 1 7/8" or 47.625mm, identical to the yamaha gl1.

TheCraftedCow
04-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Eddy Finn makes a nice mini. They also had a couple of prototypes they decided not to do. They are very nice I would have to go look at them again...I know one was a radiused fret board and I think one was a slot head... if you are even curious and I will go check my inventory to see what is what. They are New in the Box.