Super Concert: Am I crazy?

Kmetzger

Reaction score
I've been playing a soprano and considering something larger. I've been trying out both Tenors and Super Concerts - and seem to prefer the Super Concert as it provides the same neck as the tenor, but seems to have more of that quintessential ukulele sound.

Curious as to why I can't seem to find many available? Some of the manufacturers show them as part of their product line (e.g. Kanile'a, Ko'Aloha) while others do not (Kamaka, GString). Whether I search eBay, Craigslist, or go to web sites of dealers - I rarely see any available.

So my question is this: Is the shortage of Super Concerts because they're in such great demand, or because not many people want one and thus not many are made or are stocked by dealers as a result.

I'm asking, in order to understand if I'm a bit crazy for wanting one?

:confused:

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts from you all on this.

Super-concerts are awesome! I like them for the same reason you do: tenor scale, but the sound of a smaller, more traditional uke. It's a fairly popular size for KoAloha and Kanile'a, but the vast majority of players probably don't even know that super-concerts exist. ;) Deach is responsible for about 25% of all super-concert purchases.

I prefer the gitar. Here's mine, "Old Yeller."
picture.php

I prefer the rhythm gitar as opposed to the lead gitar. Better for strumming.

In response to your question about my soprano: Love it. It's a Ko'Aloha with very light strings. Truly beautiful sound. Nice instrument.

How about "Ultra soprano" for the tenor neck Kala soprano?

I never heard the expression "super concert" before...
I wonder what my Kala-Giraffe is, a "super super soprano" (soprano body with tenor neck)?
29ncsup.jpg

For the OP, super concerts seem to be very popular. Not all of the makes do them, but they seem to get snapped up pretty quick. If you find that you like them, that's reason enough to get one.

I never heard the expression "super concert" before...
I wonder what my Kala-Giraffe is, a "super super soprano" (soprano body with tenor neck)?

Reminds me of this:

400px-Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg

this is what i think of:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 20
now its perfect

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 15
Super confused

I have a Long Neck Soprano (concert neck/ soprano body). Here it is next to my tenor. I have heard of the giraffe soprano, but haven't seen one listed anywhere.

My confusion is over the "Super" label. When I first saw "Super" added to a size. it seemed to mean a larger sound box. Was I mistaken? Is "Super" referring to neck or body?

Help
Thanks– Lori

Attachments

• 2_ukes.jpg
    2_ukes.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 19

My confusion is over the "Super" label. When I first saw "Super" added to a size. it seemed to mean a larger sound box. Was I mistaken? Is "Super" referring to neck or body?

Help
Thanks– Lori

Usually the neck but I've seen some supers have larger bodies (depth and width) as well as the extended necks.

Btw...the other thing I like about the super concert over the Tenor is the smaller size of the body. Because one of the things that's drawn me to Ukuleles (as I've previously been a guitar player) is the ability to pretty much take it anywhere or sit down anywhere with it (my soprano). The tenor of course isn't huge, but it starts feeling less like something that's easy to drag along. It doesn't feel as intimate. (My additional two cents.)

Concert and a half?

Usually the neck but I've seen some supers have larger bodies (depth and width) as well as the extended necks.

So, is that like a half size bigger? Is the Super Concert half way between a Concert and a Baritone? Or is it just a little bigger?

Thanks
Inquiring minds need to know!

–Lori

So, is that like a half size bigger? Is the Super Concert half way between a Concert and a Baritone? Or is it just a little bigger?

Thanks
Inquiring minds need to know!

–Lori

My superconcerts have a normal-sized concert body with a tenor neck.

Halfway between a concert and a baritone is a tenor.

My superconcerts have a normal-sized concert body with a tenor neck.

Halfway between a concert and a baritone is a tenor.

what kinds do you have?

Top Bottom