PDA

View Full Version : Super Concert: Am I crazy?

Kmetzger
04-09-2009, 06:24 AM
I've been playing a soprano and considering something larger. I've been trying out both Tenors and Super Concerts - and seem to prefer the Super Concert as it provides the same neck as the tenor, but seems to have more of that quintessential ukulele sound.

Curious as to why I can't seem to find many available? Some of the manufacturers show them as part of their product line (e.g. Kanile'a, Ko'Aloha) while others do not (Kamaka, GString). Whether I search eBay, Craigslist, or go to web sites of dealers - I rarely see any available.

So my question is this: Is the shortage of Super Concerts because they're in such great demand, or because not many people want one and thus not many are made or are stocked by dealers as a result.

I'm asking, in order to understand if I'm a bit crazy for wanting one?

:confused:

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts from you all on this.

deach
04-09-2009, 06:27 AM
.... because not many people want one and thus not many are made or are stocked by dealers as a result.[/I]

Most likely.

I have two of them btw.

erikro
04-09-2009, 06:28 AM
how do you like the soprano?

haole
04-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Super-concerts are awesome! I like them for the same reason you do: tenor scale, but the sound of a smaller, more traditional uke. It's a fairly popular size for KoAloha and Kanile'a, but the vast majority of players probably don't even know that super-concerts exist. ;) Deach is responsible for about 25% of all super-concert purchases.

UKISOCIETY
04-09-2009, 06:40 AM
I prefer the gitar. Here's mine, "Old Yeller."
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=1625
I prefer the rhythm gitar as opposed to the lead gitar. Better for strumming.

Kmetzger
04-09-2009, 06:41 AM
In response to your question about my soprano: Love it. It's a Ko'Aloha with very light strings. Truly beautiful sound. Nice instrument.

WS64
04-09-2009, 06:54 AM
I never heard the expression "super concert" before...
I wonder what my Kala-Giraffe is, a "super super soprano" (soprano body with tenor neck)?
http://i43.tinypic.com/29ncsup.jpg

GX9901
04-09-2009, 06:55 AM
How about "Ultra soprano" for the tenor neck Kala soprano?

I wonder what my Kala-Giraffe is, a "super super soprano" (soprano body with tenor neck)?
http://i43.tinypic.com/29ncsup.jpg

GX9901
04-09-2009, 06:57 AM
For the OP, super concerts seem to be very popular. Not all of the makes do them, but they seem to get snapped up pretty quick. If you find that you like them, that's reason enough to get one.

deach
04-09-2009, 06:59 AM

Reminds me of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg/400px-Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg

bt93
04-09-2009, 07:08 AM
this is what i think of:

UKISOCIETY
04-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Reminds me of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg/400px-Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg

Stop posting your family snaps, Deachykin!

deach
04-09-2009, 07:11 AM
this is what i think of:

That giraffe looks nothing like me.

This one does.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/63/170804136_a90c9f56ba.jpg

bt93
04-09-2009, 07:14 AM
now its perfect

Lori
04-09-2009, 07:26 AM
I have a Long Neck Soprano (concert neck/ soprano body). Here it is next to my tenor. I have heard of the giraffe soprano, but haven't seen one listed anywhere.

My confusion is over the "Super" label. When I first saw "Super" added to a size. it seemed to mean a larger sound box. Was I mistaken? Is "Super" referring to neck or body?

Help
Thanks– Lori

deach
04-09-2009, 07:28 AM

My confusion is over the "Super" label. When I first saw "Super" added to a size. it seemed to mean a larger sound box. Was I mistaken? Is "Super" referring to neck or body?

Help
Thanks– Lori

Usually the neck but I've seen some supers have larger bodies (depth and width) as well as the extended necks.

Kmetzger
04-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Btw...the other thing I like about the super concert over the Tenor is the smaller size of the body. Because one of the things that's drawn me to Ukuleles (as I've previously been a guitar player) is the ability to pretty much take it anywhere or sit down anywhere with it (my soprano). The tenor of course isn't huge, but it starts feeling less like something that's easy to drag along. It doesn't feel as intimate. (My additional two cents.)

Lori
04-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Usually the neck but I've seen some supers have larger bodies (depth and width) as well as the extended necks.

So, is that like a half size bigger? Is the Super Concert half way between a Concert and a Baritone? Or is it just a little bigger?

Thanks
Inquiring minds need to know!

–Lori

deach
04-09-2009, 07:40 AM
So, is that like a half size bigger? Is the Super Concert half way between a Concert and a Baritone? Or is it just a little bigger?

Thanks
Inquiring minds need to know!

–Lori

My superconcerts have a normal-sized concert body with a tenor neck.

Halfway between a concert and a baritone is a tenor.

bt93
04-09-2009, 07:41 AM

what kinds do you have?

deach
04-09-2009, 07:42 AM
what kinds do you have?

Koalohazzz.

GX9901
04-09-2009, 07:56 AM

To confuse things a bit, some luthiers build long-scale concerts that's approximately between a normal concert scale and a tenor scale for necks that join at the 14th fret so the bridge falls at a more "sweet" spot.

Here's an example (http://www.chantus.com/journal/index.php?/archives/675-14fls-concert.html). I believe the scale length on that one is right around 16". A regular concert scale is 15" and a regular tenor scale is 17"

bbycrts
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
To muddy things a bit more...

My understanding is that MOST of the "super" models have a body that matches their size designation (soprano/standard, concert, tenor) and the neck of the next size up. The Kala giraffe is kind of an anomaly.

However, I THINK that the Kanile'a Super Tenor is kind of the other way around - a larger, deeper body with a standard tenor neck. On the other hand, the other Kanile'as seem to follow the usual pattern - regular-size body, longer neck.

Basically, soprano/standard, concert, tenor, and baritone have more or less come to represent fairly common sizes - but adding "super" just means the builder is deviating from the more commonly accepted dimension in some way. The term "super" just doesn't represent any kind of industry standard, though, so that's why there's such a variation.

WS64
04-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Cool! That means *I* (not my uke) have a super body (depth and width)!

deach
04-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Cool! That means *I* (not my uke) have a super body (depth and width)!

Yes, it's quite stunning!

beeejums
04-09-2009, 08:37 AM
I prefer the gitar. Here's mine, "Old Yeller."
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=1625
I prefer the rhythm gitar as opposed to the lead gitar. Better for strumming.

That is bad ass... How do you pronounce it? "guy-tar?"

Ahnko Honu
04-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes you are crazy. Welcome to the asylum. :D

Kmetzger
04-09-2009, 10:26 AM
The only difference between a concert and the super concert is the neck. The super concert has a tenor neck on it.

cpatch
04-09-2009, 11:14 AM
My Kanile`a is actually a super-duper concert...a concert with a tenor neck and body.

deach
04-09-2009, 12:04 PM
My Kanile`a is actually a super-duper concert...a concert with a tenor neck and body.

tenor neck and tenor body = super concert? sounds like a tenor.

Ahnko Honu
04-09-2009, 12:11 PM
What do you call a Baritone with a Soprano neck?

Bassukuguy
04-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Awkward...

ichadwick
04-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Ohana makes one - I had one for a while, but wasn't crazy about it. Kala has one, too.

MGM
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
here I am enllightened...LOL i always thought a super concert was one where Chicago, Three Dog Night and Earth Wind and Fire were all on the play bill....

Ahnko Honu
04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
here I am enllightened...LOL i always thought a super concert was one where Chicago, Three Dog Night and Earth Wind and Fire were all on the play bill....

I'd say you're showing your age except then I'd be showing mine for knowing that. Kailua He'e Nalu '78 WOOT WOOT WOOT! You still get your 8-tracks? :D

bbycrts
04-09-2009, 07:21 PM

Mickey Rooney

ukulelefatman
04-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Reminds me of this:

I actually met this woman in northern Thailand. Traveled by long tail boat to the "Long neck tribe" Karon village. A lovely woman who spends her days weaving (I have some of her stuff)
I felt like I was walking in the pages of National Geographic.

Oh....and the super concert is a great idea.

deach
04-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Mickey Rooney

or Danny Devito.

scooterguitar
04-10-2009, 01:54 AM
I have two super concerts, realy, really am liking the Koaloha