New Build Thread - Hive Lucky 12 Spruce/The Tree Mahogany

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
This is the first posting of a build thread that won't be updated for quite some time since this uke is not slotted until end of the year, but I thought I'd let y'all suffer the wait with me. ;-)

After surviving a challenging career period of almost three years, I decided to indulge myself with a very special uke. I debated over commissioning a uke from one of the many respected luthiers I don't yet own (e.g., Lichty, LFDM, etc.), I decided to ask Jake to build another Hive for me. The only mandate was, "it must be special - very special."

So, Jake delivered. The body will be built from quilted mahogany from the legendary "The Tree." Here is some interesting history on "The Tree." The top will be from Lucky 12 spruce, another limited quantity wood (haven't yet found a good article on the backstory here, but here is a nice guitar that uses it). The trim will be Wenge.

This is going to be a looooong wait. Thank you for sharing my pain. ;-)

This is the first posting of a build thread that won't be updated for quite some time since this uke is not slotted until end of the year, but I thought I'd let y'all suffer the wait with me. ;-)

After surviving a challenging career period of almost three years, I decided to indulge myself with a very special uke. I debated over commissioning a uke from one of the many respected luthiers I don't yet own (e.g., Lichty, LFDM, etc.), I decided to ask Jake to build another Hive for me. The only mandate was, "it must be special - very special."

So, Jake delivered. The body will be built from quilted mahogany from the legendary "The Tree." Here is some interesting history on "The Tree." The top will be from Lucky 12 spruce, another limited quantity wood (haven't yet found a good article on the backstory here, but here is a nice guitar that uses it). The trim will be Wenge.

This is going to be a looooong wait. Thank you for sharing my pain. ;-)

Can't wait to see the build. Hope Jake shows the progress on FB!

Congrats Eddie...I was lucky enough to have a Master Grade Koa Compass Rose that was built by Jake....and got to meet him in Santa Cruz before he went back home to start Hive Ukuleles......

I believe his work as good as the really great builders around he is dedicated to building the best ukes he can..each one better than the last.... i have seen/played many of them and the tone is what i like best,his fit and finish are perfect and the playability is special too and he is a humble guy which i like...haha most of his customers do all the talking for him...:)

congrats Eddie will be watching for it.....

Love The Tree! This will be an awesome uke! I can't wait to see it built and hear it played!

That is very nice of you to let us join in your long painful wait, thanks for that Eddie:biglaugh:

That is an amazing piece of wood and the wait will be worth it for you. Ordering a custom instrument and working with the builder on all the deails is a lot of fun and worth the price just to be involved from start to finish. It is truely yours after all of that.

Wow thats some nice wood. And a great story about the tree

What a marvelous gift for yourself! That wood pattern I have never seen before. I'd say "good luck with the build!", but with Jake, “Luck” won't have anything to do with it. Keep us up to date!

I love these build threads. Thanks for including us.

The only thing I would like Jake M. to change is to make the neck finish satin instead of gloss finish. I have 2 hive hornets and the neck gets really sticky.

I did not expect to update this thread for quite some time, but apparently somebody is almost as excited as I am about this ukulele and decided to start the "box."

Oh. Em. Gee.

That will be a stunner!

Thanks for sharing!

That is hands-down and then some the nicest looking inside of a uke I've ever seen. Always been impressed by the Hive stuff, but WOW!

Wow Eddie, time to start loosing your mind. Anticipation will certainly build to a feverish pitch as the days and weeks roll by.

I'm sitting here with my morning coffee trying to come up with the right adjective to describe that mahogany. I hate to start the day out with a failure but no adequate word is popping up. From what little we can see of the spruce, it's pretty intriguing also. Keep the photos coming!

With a build start like that it will be worth the wait. Outrageously gorgeous! What a fine treat for yourself.

Wow Eddie, that is something else. Stunning.
Are you going to sunburst the lucky spruce like the guitar?

Top Bottom