• Set 2

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Set 3

Votes: 28 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doc_J

Reaction score
Looking at 3 sets of koa for a back (top is spruce) for a new build. Must choose one, and I'm leaning a direction. Wanted to see if folks have a similar opinion.

Which one do you like the best?

1)IMG_0886e.jpg

2)IMG_0888e.jpg

3)Koa+Tenor+Uke-5e.jpg

Last edited:
Wooo first vote. EASILY two. If I had to describe my ideal Koa, that's what it would look like.

I voted for #3.

Two! My heart went thump! Good luck with your build.

#2 is my choice. The other two are nice, but fairly conventional in appearance. If you're going for a special instrument, go wild!

I think no. 3 would be lovely if you were making the whole instrument out of it. Because you are mixing it, I think no. 2 would work best.

#3 looks like Tasmanian Blackwood....:)

Am I the only uker who likes #1 the best? Oops, Mtn Goat beat me to it :)

And, if it were me ... I wouldn't give a rip what anyone else thinks. Build the uke YOU want to build. But, #1 is the best :)

I have to say though that #3 would be my pick if it was a darker color with tighter curl. Something like this would have made it tough for me

850x425_85_1_c_FFFFFF_570ed0cee59fe7e8aa71f9450664e2c2.jpg

I vote 1. The honey tone, gradation in colour and subtle, tight curl are stunning. Also think it a lovely looking set to pair with a spruce top.

Am I the only uker who likes #1 the best? Oops, Mtn Goat beat me to it :)

I was told this set (#1) has a lovely pomelle figure that doesn't photograph well.

Also mentioned was that Set #2 is supposed to be 4A vs. 3A for the other two sets. Grading is pretty subjective IMHO.

2. With the Spruce top, it has some nice sap wood to tie in the top and some dramatic flare as well.

I have to say though that #3 would be my pick if it was a darker color with tighter curl. Something like this would have made it tough for me

850x425_85_1_c_FFFFFF_570ed0cee59fe7e8aa71f9450664e2c2.jpg

Yes, I agree with you. I was told Set 3 is very similar to this set in this photo.
Koa+Tenor+Uke-6.jpg

I was told this set (#1) has a lovely pomelle figure that doesn't photograph well.

Also mentioned was that Set #2 is supposed to be 4A vs. 3A for the other two sets. Grading is pretty subjective IMHO.

So 4A is a better grade? Or does it go the lower number is a more premium grade?

Yes, I agree with you. I was told Set 3 is very similar to this set in this photo.
View attachment 89920

Ahhhh that makes it more difficult for me. I still have to go with #2, but it's so close.

I voted 3. 1 looked kinda basic(almost mohagonyish) I do not really like the Black Koa pieces, and that pattern on 3 was trippy.

I voted 3 also. The sapwood is cool, but I am partial to an even interesting grained instrument. Seems more classic; I suppose that makes me pretty conservative :).

Any one of the three would make a fine back, you have a hard, but very personal, choice to make. Good luck!

So 4A is a better grade? Or does it go the lower number is a more premium grade?

Yes, 4A (AAAA) is better than 3A (AAA). The more A's the more figure and color it should have.
I'm not sure what organization is the arbiter of wood grading.

Any one of the three would make a fine back, you have a hard, but very personal, choice to make. Good luck!

True, any one would be fine. I would be kind of interesting to let the builder pick one and surprise me.

Last edited:
Yes, 4A (AAAA) is better than 3A (AAA). The more A's the more figure and color it should have.
I'm not sure what organization is the arbiter of wood grading.

Is 4A the max? I was always a bit skeptical of Koa grades, never really understood it.

#1. It looks like you could stare at the patterns for hours and never see the same thing...

Hodge, keep coming up with these types of polls and conversation starters. Excellent...

Is 4A the max? I was always a bit skeptical of Koa grades, never really understood it.

This is what I have seen by one koa seller

AA = straight grain a.k.a. Select
AAA = light curl
AAAA = medium curl
AAAAA = master grade, high curl

LMII says...

"LMI uses a 4A grading scale for soundboards (2nd, 1A (A), 2A (AA), 3A (AAA), 4A, (AAAA), and because we have been around for so long, many other suppliers use a similar scale. Unfortunately, this does not mean that all suppliers grade wood the same way we do. What we call a 2A soundboard could easily be called a 4A grade soundboard by someone else. It’s a frustrating situation for everyone involved and there seems to be little interest in, or method for, coming to a consensus."

Another Tonewood vendor publishes grades of koa as:

"A. Little or no curl; off-quarter cuts allowed
AA. Medium curl, generally quartersawn
AAA. Full curl, generally quartersawn
MASTER. Premium full curl, quartersawn"

Last edited:
Top Bottom