Purchased a KoAloha; does it look right to you?

heyyoutoo

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a KoAloha KSM-00 on line, build date 2002. I don't have it in my possession yet, but would you take look at these pictures and tell me if that bridge looks original? All the pics I see on line show a bridge with the KoAloha inscription, but I don't know what they were using in 2002.

If it's wrong, I guess I'll have the answer to why no one bid against me.:(

Thank you!

Attachments

• Bridge.jpg
    Bridge.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Headstock.jpg
    Headstock.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 122
that is their early bridge...everything looks right they changed the bridge alot when they started building...

The 2003 that I had has the same exact bridge.

Looks right, except I believe this is a factory 2nd. See the black marking in the lower right corner? That usually means it is a factory second.

Looks right, except I believe this is a factory 2nd. See the black marking in the lower right corner? That usually means it is a factory second.

Nice spot, CJ. Agree...factory second, but correct bridge.

good eye CJ..did not see the mark on the label.....
so this uke was sold at a discount price in 2002....maybe direct from Ko'aloha...did the seller tell you it was a second?

Well that's an intriguing piece of information, I wonder what it's matter is? I'll post back once I get it. Looks like you've found the correct answer to why no one bid against me. :(

"good eye CJ..did not see the mark on the label.....
so this uke was sold at a discount price in 2002....maybe direct from Ko'aloha...did the seller tell you it was a second?"

No. But benefit of the doubt, maybe they weren't aware. In any case, I hope the defect isn't too offensive; I'll know in a few days.

"good eye CJ..did not see the mark on the label.....
so this uke was sold at a discount price in 2002....maybe direct from Ko'aloha...did the seller tell you it was a second?"

No. But benefit of the doubt, maybe they weren't aware. In any case, I hope the defect isn't too offensive; I'll know in a few days.

KoAloha wouldn't sell a factory second that has a very significant issue. Most people I've seen can't even find their defects on factory seconds. If there is a significant blemish, it wasn't from the factory, but probably a past owner.

KoAloha wouldn't sell a factory second that has a very significant issue. Most people I've seen can't even find their defects on factory seconds. If there is a significant blemish, it wasn't from the factory, but probably a past owner.

Agreed. OP, usually there is a minor finish flaw that can barely be noticed and will definitely not affect the sound or play-ability. Depending on how much you paid, you might have gotten a steal.

Thanks everyone. I've learned so much from the helpful people of this forum and I appreciate all of your responses.

Last edited:
$399.99 isnt a crazy price but seeing the other offerings on eBay that sold in the last few months one in Feb with 66 bids selling for $420 and another on March 6th for $385 after 25 bids it might have been a high starting price. I would have expected that a buy it now price but it is what it is and not a bad deal.

The bridge is correct but something looks wrong with the saddle like it was replaced or in the least unfinished. I had thought it might be upside down but this picture shows it is not.

saddle.jpg

Its also described as an ebony slab. Not quite certain mine is wood looks more like buffalo horn actually but it isn't a slab and looks finished. Not a deal killer but again after the fact it is what it is and was fully disclosed by the seller. If the top of the saddle is square like it appears I might finish it myself, bring it to a competent luthier or contact the original builder. Who am I kidding I would do it myself.

Otherwise play the hell out of it I bet it sounds great.

~AL~

Last edited:
Top Bottom