PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy songs that somehow sound great on uke

Jim Hanks
04-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Mike's cover of How Deeep is Your Love (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?119714-How-Deep-Is-Your-Love-by-the-Bee-Gees-(ukulele-cover)) reminded that there seems to be a whole class of songs that somehow sound great on uke even though the original is cheesy, sappy, crappy, what have you. Another classic example is Close to You.

What others can you think of?

Doug W
04-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Jim,

Whether people say they liked the BeeGees or not, "How Deep is Your Love" is a song that everyone secretly harmonizes to while listening on the car radio.

igorthebarbarian
04-03-2016, 01:47 PM
That's a good one. Cheesy but amazing. Because we all know the lyrics to it even if we don't want to admit it.
A good rule is anything you would be ashamed to admit you own/ like (maybe some Michael Bolton)

jollyboy
04-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Nothing wrong with Close To You. The Carpenters rock :cool:

I could happily work my way through a greatest hits medley of Burt Bacharach penned tunes.

Snargle
04-03-2016, 02:25 PM
I guess I'm going to have to check out some Neil Diamond tabs. I know it's not cool to like his stuff, but he's a great songwriter. I think Sweet Caroline might be pretty nice on the uke!

jollyboy
04-03-2016, 02:39 PM
I guess I'm going to have to check out some Neil Diamond tabs. I know it's not cool to like his stuff, but he's a great songwriter. I think Sweet Caroline might be pretty nice on the uke!

Hey, did you know that Neil Diamond wrote 'I'm A Believer' for the Monkees? I love that song - love playing it and listening to it :)

Snargle
04-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Hey, did you know that Neil Diamond wrote 'I'm A Believer' for the Monkees? I love that song - love playing it and listening to it :)

Yep, ol' ND cranked out quite a few songs that were hits for other performers. Another Monkees hit written by Neil is "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You "

lakesideglenn
04-03-2016, 02:56 PM
"Show Me The Way" by Peter Frampton

Snargle
04-03-2016, 03:01 PM
"Show Me The Way" by Peter Frampton

I wonder if anyone has ever used a "Talk Box" effect with a ukulele? :rolleyes:

cpmusic
04-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Like it or not, you have to admire the craftsmanship that went into "How Deep Is Your Love." It's got a great hook, and it's just complex enough to be interesting. I can understand why some find it cheesy, but I'm not one of them.

That said, this is a good topic. I might be able to listen to "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes if used playfully on the uke. It's a terrible song, but if anything can make it sound good, it's the uke.

Then again, there's "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro, "Feelings" by Morris Albert, "You're Having My Baby" by Paul Anka, "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" by Lobo, and a few others. There are some songs that are just beyond help.

Rank_beginner
04-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Another Neil Diamond song is Red Red Wine. I prefer to play it reggae style like UB40.

One of my favorite cheesy songs is Take on me by A-ha. Think I got the chords from Ukulele Boogaloo site.

Kimosabe
04-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Where can we hear Mike's version? While I'm waiting for an answer you can tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree or knock three times on the window if you want me.

Solitary Man is a great song and the kind of spoken parts of Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon still send chills up my spine.

Jim Yates
04-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Alone Again Naturally

Sven-Uke
04-03-2016, 08:07 PM
How about "I Will Survive"?

Jim Hanks
04-04-2016, 01:45 AM
Where can we hear Mike's version?.
Link is in the first post. Here it is direct: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?119714-How-Deep-Is-Your-Love-by-the-Bee-Gees-(ukulele-cover)

Alone Again Naturally
Yes! Best suggestion so far. :D
Some really good chord work in this rendition. That's what I'm talking about
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsu3_BdEj0

Rllink
04-04-2016, 02:09 AM
Those are all good songs. You want cheesy, Gilligan's Island. When I play that at campfire get togethers in the summer, everyone sings along.

barefootgypsy
04-04-2016, 02:34 AM
Neil Diamond - great songwriter..... also the Carpenters. Who cares if it's not cool to like them? A great song is a great song, whether or not it's in the current fashion. "Honey" - now there's a most terrible song that need to be buried! The most appalling ear-worm that has me screaming for mercy! And Burt Bacharach - fabulous...... most of his songs, the chords are actually pretty difficult. Very demanding stuff. Love it. Can't play most of it! Challenging.... challenging is good.

Ukejenny
04-04-2016, 03:01 AM
I love Neil Diamond - love him!!!! Bee Gees? Yes, please!!! Carpenters? Of course!!! I guess I'm just cheesy.

UkerDanno
04-04-2016, 03:56 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of:
Ain't She Sweet
Ain't Misbehavin'
Five foot Two
Sentimental Journey
and the more current, but timeless
Sweet Pea by Amos Lee

Kayak Jim
04-04-2016, 04:05 AM
"Alone Again, Naturally"

Yes! Best suggestion so far. :D
Some really good chord work in this rendition. That's what I'm talking about
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsu3_BdEj0

That is a good one, and under $2 for the Tab.

jollyboy
04-04-2016, 04:16 AM
I was doodlng around with Nilsson's Without You recently - just playing the chords. It's actually really straightforward. The song is an in-the-shower favourite of mine. I like going for those high notes :)

ScooterD35
04-04-2016, 04:19 AM
Captain Ukehandles did this medley of cheesy Partridge Family tunes a few years ago...

http://youtu.be/IFurEzuqLQA

Scooter

Down Up Dick
04-04-2016, 04:25 AM
Well, I guess somebody had to say it: How about " Tiptoe Through The Tulips"? Sorry. :old:

Rllink
04-04-2016, 04:34 AM
Well, I guess somebody had to say it: How about " Tiptoe Through The Tulips"? Sorry. :old:Actually, I think that is a pretty song, if it isn't sung in falsetto. I've sung it for people and they haven't even known it was the same song that Tiny Tim made famous.

cpmusic
04-04-2016, 05:43 AM
I was doodlng around with Nilsson's Without You recently - just playing the chords. It's actually really straightforward. The song is an in-the-shower favourite of mine. I like going for those high notes :)

That's a torch song if ever there was one. Just FYI, it's a sad irony that while this was Harry Nilsson's biggest hit, he didn't write it. It was written by Pete Ham and Tom Evans of the band Badfinger, which recorded it first. Nilsson's recording is better, though.

cpmusic
04-04-2016, 05:50 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of:
Ain't Misbehavin'

I wouldn't call that song cheesy. Even when sung "straight" (which is common), it's a good song. Waller sang it with a wink and a nod.

jollyboy
04-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Just FYI, it's a sad irony that while this was Harry Nilsson's biggest hit, he didn't write it.

I never knew that - interesting. Always think of him as a singer-songwriter, playing and recording his own stuff.

I like this thread, as a celebration of all things cheesy it has inspired me to look through my music collection and pick out some other less-than-hip tunes to track down chord sheets for. These include...

Noel Harrison - The Windmills Of Your Mind
Astrud Gilberto - The Girl From Ipanema
Don McClean - Vincent
Jackie Lee - White Horses (classic TV theme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rzSslub6U

Jim Hanks
04-04-2016, 11:04 AM
OH EM GEE! Don't get me started on W&G!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdMf1XvdQ50

Tootler
04-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Cheesy songs are often perfectly good songs that have a catchy, singable chorus that people are able to join in with. They then get demanded so often that they become overworked and performers get fed up of them but audiences love them so there is an expectation you'll play them.

Ones I can think of include Wagon Wheel (not so much in the UK - yet), Is this the way to Amarillo, Delilah, Whiskey in the Jar and The Wild Rover.

I'm sure you can think of others.

Honey is just the most awful sentimental rubbish, IMO.

Snargle
04-04-2016, 01:00 PM
I like this thread, as a celebration of all things cheesy it has inspired me to look through my music collection and pick out some other less-than-hip tunes to track down chord sheets for. These include...

No way is that classic song "cheesy"! That's some of the finest jazz/bossa nova singing and playing in the recorded universe. Written by Antônio Carlos Jobim, sax by Stan Getz, João Gilberto on guitar, and Astrud Gilberto singing. It's interesting that Astrud (João Gilberto's wife) was chosen to sing because she was the only Brazilian present at the recording session who spoke (or sang) passable English. She was not a trained singer, but her performance on that recording was exactly what makes the song work. I could listen to that song every day and never get tired of it.

mds725
04-04-2016, 01:33 PM
That's a torch song if ever there was one. Just FYI, it's a sad irony that while this was Harry Nilsson's biggest hit, he didn't write it. It was written by Pete Ham and Tom Evans of the band Badfinger, which recorded it first. Nilsson's recording is better, though.

Because of the song's title, it may be a bigger irony that Barry Manilow didn't write "I Write the Songs." it was written by Bruce Johnston, who gained fame performing with (and eventually writing songs, including "Disney Girls," with) the Beach Boys (he replaced Glen Campbell as the band's bassist because Brian Wilson had stopped touring).

I imagine there are a number of Barry Manilow songs that are cheesy but sound good on the ukulele -- I Write The Songs, Mandy, Can't Smile Without You (none of which he wrote) or Could It be Magic, which he did write.

Dan Uke
04-04-2016, 02:04 PM
No way is that classic song "cheesy"! That's some of the finest jazz/bossa nova singing and playing in the recorded universe. Written by Antônio Carlos Jobim, sax by Stan Getz, João Gilberto on guitar, and Astrud Gilberto singing. It's interesting that Astrud (João Gilberto's wife) was chosen to sing because she was the only Brazilian present at the recording session who spoke (or sang) passable English. She was not a trained singer, but her performance on that recording was exactly what makes the song work. I could listen to that song every day and never get tired of it.

Same here! I like Gal Costa too. You need that airy voice to sing bn.

Maybe some of these songs sound good on uke because they are good songs and not cheesy.

Jim Hanks
04-04-2016, 02:10 PM
i imagine there are a number of Barry Manilow songs that are cheesy but sound good on the ukulele -- I Write The Songs, Mandy, Can't Smile Without You (none of which he wrote) or Could It be Magic, which he did write.
Of course the last was heavily borrowed from Chopin's Prelude in C Minor, and the intro is exactly that. But I don't disagree with your premise.

Jim Hanks
04-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Maybe some of these songs sound good on uke because they are good songs and not cheesy.
Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. One man's cheese is another man's fromage. :p

BlackBearUkes
04-04-2016, 02:56 PM
How about -

"Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bed post over night?" or "If I only had a brain"

Kimosabe
04-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Windmills of Your Mind? You've never heard Dusty Springfield's version on her brilliant Dusty in Memphis album?
Noel Harrison wasn't much of a singer. As the Stones sang, it's the singer not the song.

When Aretha ran into Dusty in an elevator she had one word to say: "Girl!"

I think "Honey", however, does deserve the Certified Asshat Award because there used to be a poster of Bobby Goldsboro sitting crying at Honey's grave. Oscar Wilde once said that anyone who didn't burst out laughing at the death of Little Nell had no artistic sense. Don't get me wrong though; Dickens was a mighty genius. He also knew how to milk sentimentality.

It wouldn't take much to ruin Hendrix's Little Wing. I suggest that Wayne Newton should do a version, with ukulele accompaniment.

Dan Uke
04-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. One man's cheese is another man's fromage. :p

Jim continue to make your original Swiss! :p

jollyboy
04-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Windmills of Your Mind? You've never heard Dusty Springfield's version on her brilliant Dusty in Memphis album?

Er, I like the song :confused:

Kimosabe
04-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Er, I like the song :confused:

You only like it because you have good taste. Please excuse my misreading your comment.

Jim Yates
04-04-2016, 05:31 PM
A definition of cheesy must be needed, since some of these are great songs. I've put a simple chord backup to Alone Again (Naturally) on the Tab page. I thought of this song as cheesy, because it's over the top sad. everything that could go wrong does, but it has a great tune and Gilbert does a great job of performing it. I find myself playing it when I pick up the ukulele, though I first learned it on the guitar circa 1971. (now someone will tell me it was written in 1972, which is why I said "circa")

Jim Hanks
04-04-2016, 06:30 PM
There are a lot of songs we regard as cheesy...because the production or delivery was overblown. When it's played on the uke, it gets stripped down to its inherent beauty and we can appreciate it in a different way.
Bingo! :agree:

mds725
04-04-2016, 09:24 PM
The ukulele group to which I belong tried to play "McArthur Park" this past weekend. It's a song that can only be cheesy, especially the Richard Harris version and especially if you listen to the words ("someone left the cake out in the rain....") and I think its cheesiness is probably also its charm. It lost its oomph on ukulele, maybe because we were aiming for the Richard Harris version. It might actually play well as an acoustic guitar folk song. Next time we may try to play the Donna Summers disco version.

Here's a link to a video of some ukulele professionals playing McArthur Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlo1VYSmv7Q

janeray1940
04-05-2016, 05:43 AM
Because of the song's title, it may be a bigger irony that Barry Manilow didn't write "I Write the Songs." it was written by Bruce Johnston, who gained fame performing with (and eventually writing songs, including "Disney Girls," with) the Beach Boys (he replaced Glen Campbell as the band's bassist because Brian Wilson had stopped touring).

The ukulele group to which I belong tried to play "McArthur Park" this past weekend. It's a song that can only be cheesy, especially the Richard Harris version and especially if you listen to the words ("someone left the cake out in the rain....") and I think its cheesiness is probably also its charm. It lost its oomph on ukulele, maybe because we were aiming for the Richard Harris version. It might actually play well as an acoustic guitar folk song.

Perhaps cheesy is caused by the delivery/the singer, and not the song itself. Both of these are great examples of this - Bruce Johnston and Jimmy Webb (MacArthur Park) are both fantastic songwriters, but it seems as if almost nobody even knows of them. What's known is the singer who made their song(s) a Top 40 hit. Johnston's recording of "I Write the Songs" is a lot more... real, in a way.

chuck in ny
04-05-2016, 06:37 AM
thoughtful thread jim. 'going to the chapel of love' came out when i was a young teenager, and all the guys hated its triteness. the shirelles did a good job with it, and in the fullness of time it's a compelling and well put together composition. not that you don't goof on it when you play it.

edit. dixie cups. half a century can run heck with your memory. some nice looking ladies were on stage at that time. martha reeves could win a vocal cord fistfight with anyone out there and motown was a divine revelation. them days may be gone but we have these here mini guitars and can play any tune we wish. nothing can die if you keep it in your heart.

plunker
04-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Nothing by Peter Frampton is Cheesy. Cheesy is in the ear of the beholder. Remeber, a lot of very talented artist performed songs for the market. Some of their talent was never really appreciated.

Photodan
04-08-2016, 10:20 AM
I never knew that - interesting. Always think of him as a singer-songwriter, playing and recording his own stuff.

Don McClean - Vincent
Jackie Lee - White Horses (classic TV theme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rzSslub6U

Love the song Vincent by Don McClean. I don't think of that one as cheesy but a classic. I'll have to give that a try.

mmfitzsimons
04-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Snargle, Sweet Caroline is awesome on the uke! And there ain't nothing cheesy about Neil Diamond. There's currently a tribute band called Super Diamond that tours and is a huge hit among college age kids, so sing it proud, and tell anyone who complains that they need to get with it, lol...

mmfitzsimons
04-08-2016, 02:09 PM
I just started playing Jimmy Buffett's "Come Monday" and love it on uke. I think a lot of songs from the 70s and 80s translate really well, partly because pop music back then was so lushly produced (a key part of the cheese platter). When they get stripped down on a uke, they somehow sound fresh again. And it's so different, I like to think I spare myself comparisons to the original artist, since they're stars, and I most certainly am not. :)

Canuke
04-08-2016, 04:20 PM
I just learned to play "The Buckin' Song" by Robert Earl Keen. That's a fun, cheesy song to play!

Jim Hanks
04-09-2016, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure this qualifies as cheese but it sure sounds different than the original and great on uke

http://youtu.be/Z0XSsGaPJeQ

Gillian
04-10-2016, 08:42 AM
The song that gets the most groans in our uke club, even by the beginners, is "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies. I keep it in our Song Book because it is only three chords... and because of the groans. It's one of those songs that people love to hate.

Down Up Dick
04-10-2016, 09:38 AM
I just hafta ask: What's a cheesy song? Pizza music? Soufflé Muzak? Mouse tunes? :old:

Snargle
04-10-2016, 09:48 AM
I just hafta ask: What's a cheesy song? Pizza music? Soufflé Muzak? Mouse tunes? :old:Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. "Son of Suzy Creamcheese"

https://youtu.be/6eNaArI_syU

ksiegel
04-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Life has been getting in the way of doing videos lately, but I do try and work on some songs that fit the seasons, even if I can't get them recorded.

And so, too, the cheese.

One song that I grew rather, shall we say, "less than thrilled to hear" was Olivia Newton John's "Please, Mr. Please". Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed her singing, and the eye candy aspect was rather enjoyable for a healthy heterosexual male in his early 20s, but the song just started grating after a few hundred times of hearing it.

I popped it up again after this thread came up, and it isn't bad - just as long as I don't have to hear it a couple of times an hour, for weeks on end...

Then I tried playing it -got the chords from Chordie - and I was impressed. This is no I-IV-V song, y'all!

I'm going to see if I can get it recorded some time this week.

(I'd also like to hear both Myrna, and TheSillyDave do this on e- I think they'd both do great versions of it.)

-Kurt

jollyboy
04-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Love the song Vincent by Don McClean. I don't think of that one as cheesy but a classic. I'll have to give that a try.

I found a couple of online chord sheets for it and have been doodling around - it's pretty straightforward and rather nice to play arpeggio style.

The song that gets the most groans in our uke club, even by the beginners, is "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies.

I really like that song :) It made me think also of Yummy, Yummy, Yummy by Ohio Express. I'm quite partial to a bit of 60s bubblegum pop - as well as lots of other much cooler stuff of course...

larrybaby
09-17-2016, 02:54 PM

It's always cool to recognise and treasure quality. Neil Diamond is one of the greats. Of course it will sound good on the uke. It's an awesome song. ND is definitely not cheesy. He wrote, and probably writes, quality music, producing hit after hit. They are crafted masterpieces.

AndieZ
09-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Look at the underlying music in these so called cheesy tunes and you are going to find genius. They were big hits, they sold lots of records. Competitors who were not up to the same standard called them "cheesy" because they had nothing else to compete commercially. The tunes are going to sound graet if you play them on a tin can because they have underlying good music.

You don't think its because of the lyrics that they are called cheesy.

AndieZ
09-17-2016, 03:25 PM

I love that. I don't think its cheesy and I would like to do that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEhS9Y9HYjU

Incidentally has anyone defined Cheesy yet?

Jim Hanks
09-17-2016, 05:41 PM
Incidentally has anyone defined Cheesy yet?

Nope. Cheesy is as cheesy does. :D cheese is in the eye of the beholder - er something. :D

etudes
06-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Life has been getting in the way of doing videos lately, but I do try and work on some songs that fit the seasons, even if I can't get them recorded.

And so, too, the cheese.

One song that I grew rather, shall we say, "less than thrilled to hear" was Olivia Newton John's "Please, Mr. Please". Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed her singing, and the eye candy aspect was rather enjoyable for a healthy heterosexual male in his early 20s, but the song just started grating after a few hundred times of hearing it.

I popped it up again after this thread came up, and it isn't bad - just as long as I don't have to hear it a couple of times an hour, for weeks on end...

Then I tried playing it -got the chords from Chordie - and I was impressed. This is no I-IV-V song, y'all!

I'm going to see if I can get it recorded some time this week.

(I'd also like to hear both Myrna, and TheSillyDave do this on e- I think they'd both do great versions of it.)

-Kurt

I'd love to hear Please Mr Please on Uke! Speaking of Cheese- always wanted to come up with a uke arrangement of Olivia's "If Love is Real"- that's a deep sea dive in the gouda cheese but I love it.

Jerryc41
06-07-2018, 01:25 AM
Everything sounds good on a uke. : )

Jim Hanks
06-07-2018, 01:57 AM
Always wanted to come up with a uke arrangement of Olivia's "If Love is Real"- that's a deep sea dive in the gouda cheese but I love it.
I wasn't aware of that one, but it definitely qualifies, and I agree could make a nice uke arrangement

plunker
06-07-2018, 03:20 AM

Bamp, bamp, bamp

Ukecaster
06-07-2018, 05:54 AM
I always thought this one was rather cheesy, but this guy pulls it off pretty well on uke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rMrnVhFkQ

stevejfc
06-07-2018, 11:30 AM
I sure some of you will disagree, but as I am native Bostonian, just about anything by James Taylor is CHEESEY.

etudes
06-07-2018, 06:31 PM
I wasn't aware of that one, but it definitely qualifies, and I agree could make a nice uke arrangement

It might be kind of tricky to make it work. Maybe a reggae treatment..

etudes
06-07-2018, 06:52 PM
I've been playing Carly Simon's Anticipation on the Farallon.. Cheesy yes but it works!

Jim Hanks
06-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Olivia's "If Love is Real"
I think I like Randy Edelman original better : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ6BwSa7eBc
That dude was a 70s cheese factory! :nana:

etudes
06-07-2018, 07:39 PM
I think I like Randy Edelman original better : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ6BwSa7eBc
That dude was a 70s cheese factory! :nana:

I have to agree- Randy's got it going on. Laying down some serious cheese