Cheesy songs that somehow sound great on uke

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Mike's cover of How Deeep is Your Love reminded that there seems to be a whole class of songs that somehow sound great on uke even though the original is cheesy, sappy, crappy, what have you. Another classic example is Close to You.

What others can you think of?

Jim,

Whether people say they liked the BeeGees or not, "How Deep is Your Love" is a song that everyone secretly harmonizes to while listening on the car radio.

That's a good one. Cheesy but amazing. Because we all know the lyrics to it even if we don't want to admit it.
A good rule is anything you would be ashamed to admit you own/ like (maybe some Michael Bolton)

Nothing wrong with Close To You. The Carpenters rock :cool:

I could happily work my way through a greatest hits medley of Burt Bacharach penned tunes.

I guess I'm going to have to check out some Neil Diamond tabs. I know it's not cool to like his stuff, but he's a great songwriter. I think Sweet Caroline might be pretty nice on the uke!

I guess I'm going to have to check out some Neil Diamond tabs. I know it's not cool to like his stuff, but he's a great songwriter. I think Sweet Caroline might be pretty nice on the uke!

Hey, did you know that Neil Diamond wrote 'I'm A Believer' for the Monkees? I love that song - love playing it and listening to it :)

Hey, did you know that Neil Diamond wrote 'I'm A Believer' for the Monkees? I love that song - love playing it and listening to it :)

Yep, ol' ND cranked out quite a few songs that were hits for other performers. Another Monkees hit written by Neil is "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You "

Like it or not, you have to admire the craftsmanship that went into "How Deep Is Your Love." It's got a great hook, and it's just complex enough to be interesting. I can understand why some find it cheesy, but I'm not one of them.

That said, this is a good topic. I might be able to listen to "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes if used playfully on the uke. It's a terrible song, but if anything can make it sound good, it's the uke.

Then again, there's "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro, "Feelings" by Morris Albert, "You're Having My Baby" by Paul Anka, "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" by Lobo, and a few others. There are some songs that are just beyond help.

Another Neil Diamond song is Red Red Wine. I prefer to play it reggae style like UB40.

One of my favorite cheesy songs is Take on me by A-ha. Think I got the chords from Ukulele Boogaloo site.

Where and how?

Where can we hear Mike's version? While I'm waiting for an answer you can tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree or knock three times on the window if you want me.

Solitary Man is a great song and the kind of spoken parts of Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon still send chills up my spine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Those are all good songs. You want cheesy, Gilligan's Island. When I play that at campfire get togethers in the summer, everyone sings along.

Neil Diamond - great songwriter..... also the Carpenters. Who cares if it's not cool to like them? A great song is a great song, whether or not it's in the current fashion. "Honey" - now there's a most terrible song that need to be buried! The most appalling ear-worm that has me screaming for mercy! And Burt Bacharach - fabulous...... most of his songs, the chords are actually pretty difficult. Very demanding stuff. Love it. Can't play most of it! Challenging.... challenging is good.

I love Neil Diamond - love him!!!! Bee Gees? Yes, please!!! Carpenters? Of course!!! I guess I'm just cheesy.

I was thinking more along the lines of:
Ain't She Sweet
Ain't Misbehavin'
Five foot Two
Sentimental Journey
and the more current, but timeless
Sweet Pea by Amos Lee

Top Bottom