Floyrd-Rose-esque Tremolo

bradleyz

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Long time Uke-Under-grounder here, been wondering something as of late.....So I got my baby about a year ago, she's a Risa-LP and she is beautiful in every way. But I've been wondering something fierce: Is there anyway to get a floyd-rose style bridge-tremolo system on this thing? I mean she's perfect just the was she is, but its something that has been on my mind for awhile now. Any inputs appreciate ^_^ 363csfball.jpg

I've always wondered, but never heard ANYTHING about any kind of trem setup. Keep us posted!!! I'd love to know. Always wondered what it would be like on an acoustic uke too...

I don't see any reason it would be technically infeasible but likely to be a custom job. One consideration is that there is usually a nut lock to go along with the rocking bridge. Otherwise the axe goes out of tune with the first whammy on the bar. Adding such might not be possible on an existing uke - not sure.

On acoustic uke? Hmm, I would think nylon or flouro strings would be too "springy" to come back in tune properly. But what do I know?

We should get the "Circuits & Strings" guy on the case. If anybody can make it work, it's that guy.

Owning a USA BC Rick Warlock from the 80's I curse myself for buying the model with the FR licensed tremolo on it and not a fixed bridge. It was a darker red though and stuck out among the red warlocks on the wall. Most today tend to lock them down using exotic in the 80's tremlocks or a simple L bracket screwed into the body stopping them from moving.

It is likely the one reason I never really picked up the guitar. My best friend owed me $40 and had an old set of Bill Lawrence pickups he couldn't find a guitar the sounded good in so I had him install them in my axe. He took the guitar back to East Coast Music before they closed and the luthier was in disbelief the instrument was setup and left the way it was. A few springs were added and it was adjusted to be much tighter but the damage was done. My friend died over 10 years ago and I haven't touched it yet.

String changes were also a nightmare as was tuning and tuning to stretch the strings. My friend could play the hell out of any guitar often just grabbing the trem for use not even bothering to pop the bar on. But now I'm babbling.

~peace~

A quick search brought me to Pete here. http://www.almuse.co.uk/misc_gallery.html

Seems he just retired from customs but did make a few ukuleles with fender style trems on them. He does seem to have a few hot looking pickups available. I might have to buy a couple for a build Ive kicked around in my head for awhile now.

Ive fabricated things for motorcycles, cars and professional tattoo machines. Remember anything can be done if you have the time or money to throw at it.

Thank you everyone who had some input! I really appreciate the guidance...I think im gonna start by contacting the fellows at Risa....now I don't really speak German and it seems a bit of challenge to find exactly who to email over at Risa, Rigk Sauer why are you so hard to find!!! I will post any updates on the project on this thread ^_^ Hopefully I can show off some new tech soon ;)

Top Bottom