Brazilian Mahogany - I don't think it gets any better

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
If I had to pick only one timber that I'd happily work with for the rest of my life, Brazilian Mahogany would be it. So easy to work, so classy and beautiful.....and the sound. It's got it all.

Mahogany Long Neck Concert-5.jpgMahogany Long Neck Concert-9.jpgMahogany Long Neck Concert-10.jpgMahogany Long Neck Concert-2.jpgMahogany Long Neck Concert-6.jpg

Beautiful stuff Allen, just stunning!

Oh that is SWEEEEET! What a perfectly stunning little beauty! How much for a baritone just like it?

Fabulous work Allen. I know they sound wonderful.

Beats me how you guys are still able to get hold of this stuff - haven't seen any decent affordable BM in the UK for about 12 years! Stashes come to the surface but are quickly spotted and gobbled up - there is no supplier of the quality being still used in the USA and Oz...you would have thought that it had never been put on the CITES list the number of instruments still getting made in it...

I would have a couple hundred sets of it. And big blocks 3 meters long for neck material.

Got as much of it as I could afford at the time from a timber merchant that supplied to the yachting and fine furniture industries. He's using his remaining stock as a retirement fund.

Absolutely classic, Allen. And your choices in details of rosette color/shape, bridge color/shape, bridge pins, binding—-it's just perfect. Lovely work.

Beats me how you guys are still able to get hold of this stuff - haven't seen any decent affordable BM in the UK for about 12 years! Stashes come to the surface but are quickly spotted and gobbled up - there is no supplier of the quality being still used in the USA and Oz...you would have thought that it had never been put on the CITES list the number of instruments still getting made in it...
Pete I don't know if this is what you want but it is on eBay at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huge-wide...734188?hash=item210ccdcaec:g:W1EAAOSwud1XAYuw

Beautiful work Allen. In your hands how does Brazilian Mahogany compare to Tasmanian Blackwood?

I have a Tenor made from well aged Ribbon Mahogany and a Tenor made from Tasmanian Blackwood. They are both great instruments and different too. I certainly couldn't separate the different timbers from the different construction.

Anthony

Thanks for the heads up Ken but I have stopped buying wood I can't export. They also look flat sawn.

Beautiful work Allen. In your hands how does Brazilian Mahogany compare to Tasmanian Blackwood?

I have a Tenor made from well aged Ribbon Mahogany and a Tenor made from Tasmanian Blackwood. They are both great instruments and different too. I certainly couldn't separate the different timbers from the different construction.

Anthony

I haven't built too many ukes with a Blackwood soundboard. Everyone wants a softwood that gets a commission, so I haven't bothered with spec instruments like that. I've dialled in the sound of my instruments so it's pretty consistent across all of them. But a few timbers really stand out at being exceptional soundboards.

Personally I don't think that there is any timber that has more of a timeless classic look that I want than nicely 1/4 sawn mahogany.

I haven't built too many ukes with a Blackwood soundboard. Everyone wants a softwood that gets a commission, so I haven't bothered with spec instruments like that. I've dialled in the sound of my instruments so it's pretty consistent across all of them. But a few timbers really stand out at being exceptional soundboards.

Personally I don't think that there is any timber that has more of a timeless classic look that I want than nicely 1/4 sawn mahogany.

Thanks Allen. The Ribbon Mahogany ukulele I have which was made from reclaimed furniture timber certainly looks classy and sounds great too. I can't really make direct comparisons between this and my Blackwood ukuleles as they are just too different in construction. I have 2 Blackwood ukuleles, a Wise and a Cole Clark and they look so different that a casual observer wouldn't pick them as being made from the same timber. The Mahogany ukulele is older too and made with older timber I suspect.

Anthony

Wow, that's a fine looking uke. I wonder what it sounds like?
I love mahogany, it's hard to beat. My 1st "real" uke was solid hog, and I still have it!

Top Bottom