Tried a capo on my uke

LarryS

Reaction score
I have a shubb type which works well on my guitar. Out of curiosity I thought I'd try it on Kalea, my one and only uke. Not ideal. I had to put it in the middle of the fret otherwise I couldn't get some of the chords.
Oh well it was worth a shot.

There are several existing options for ukulele capos out there, some of which will work fine. Most of them have been discussed in this forum.

You would have to use a capo designed for ukulele OR a classical guitar capo.

Ukuleles typically have a flat fingerboard... acoustic and electric guitars typically have a radiused fingerboard.

A capo designed for acoustic or electric guitar won't work well on ukulele because the rubber part that holds the strings down will be rounded, not straight.
(Also it might be a bit too big for the ukulele)

I found a shubb lite capo works well for me.

The best I've found is the Planet Waves NS ukulele capo. Much less intrusive than others I've tried.

I have one somewhere. I haven't seen it for a long time. But seriously, I have not discovered the benefits of a capo on the ukulele. In fairness, I haven't tried either.

Last edited:
It was just an experiment, to see how it would work. I know there are proper uke capos out there but seeing as I already had one...
To be honest a capo is a transposing device, useful for playing along to an instrument thats tumed to a different temperament.

huh... I use a dunlop trigger capo for guitar on my ukes, and it works fine for me.
There's a slight curve.. but you don't have to bottom a string out to make it sound, so it works ok.
Im guessing in a more theorhetical world the 1 and 4 strings are slightly sharp because of the curve.. but really I don't hear it.

The best I've found is the Planet Waves NS ukulele capo. Much less intrusive than others I've tried.

I play instruments with capos a lot, and I am a big fan of the NS series of capos, including the ukulele one. As Tootler says, much less intrusive than the others.

- FiL

I have a Shubb mandolin capo and the tension and coverage is alright but it's kind of in the way at the first playable fret.

I have a Shubb mandolin capo and the tension and coverage is alright but it's kind of in the way at the first playable fret.

That's the problem I've found with most capos I've tried. The NS ukulele capo is the only one that doesn't get in the way for me.

Top Bottom