D'addario Pro Arte Carbon Strings

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey all,
I put a set of these low G Tenor on one of my ukes today. Wow! Nice strings indeed. A little bit stiffer to the touch than say a Worth Low G CT set. Not too stiff but just a little bit. They seemed to tune up quickly with a little less stretch in time. Has any one else used these, and what was your impression?

I'm using them on my Ohana SK38 soprano, they are a joy, and by far they are the only strings I've used that are 100% intonated all along the fretboard.

with Aquila New Nylgut, Super Nylgut and GHS black nylon I always have some frets out of tune, some "zones" sharper (like the 5th-7th fret zone) or high notes.

I've noticed a curious thing, however: when I play with D'Addario Carbon, the overall volume seem quieter, and the sound slightly "dry", compared to Aquilas (in particular the SN, which are mellow).
then I record it, and WOW! the uke is louder and rich sounding, with the right amount of basses, making the Super Nylgut sound too dark and the New Nylgut too sparkly and scooped on the mids.

the thing I like the most, but I understand that it's a matter of fluorocarbon vs nylon/nylgut, is that they make the strumming sound clear, allowing every string to be heard clearly.
fingerpicked are a joy of hamronics and precise intonation.

the D'Addario are also well balanced in tension, string to string (I'm using the soprano/concert set, high G, but the gauge is the same for tenor high G set), and in sound/volume.

with Aquilas I always find the C too loud and howly.

they also stay in tune better AND are easier to tune with friction tuners.

last but not least, if mounted wisely, on a soprano (with the EJ99SC set) you can make two sets. it's just important to make the knot at the bridge without wasting lenght.

Yes. I use carbon when I want a thicker/higher tension flourocarbon.
They sound pretty good. I think of them as a higher tension worth.

Thanks for info guys. I'd been wondering about those D'Addario fluorocarbons strings. Time to get some.

I just tried a set and didn't really care for them. I was using Aquila Nylgut. I think I just prefer the feel of the Aquila's. I was squeezing the fluorocarbons out of tune higher up on the neck. I guess I prefer the sound of the wound low G too. Just my preference. These are the only two string sets I have used so I'll need to try others. For now I put Aquila's on my tenor.

I just tried a set and didn't really care for them. I was using Aquila Nylgut. I think I just prefer the feel of the Aquila's. I was squeezing the fluorocarbons out of tune higher up on the neck. I guess I prefer the sound of the wound low G too. Just my preference. These are the only two string sets I have used so I'll need to try others. For now I put Aquila's on my tenor.

I have carbons on my rebel alchemist with a freemont soloist. You can always change it around to suit your taste.

I have these on my flamenco concert right now and prefer them to the Aquila's that I tried on it before. Only carbon set I have used so can't compare it any others but on this uke they work nicely. It needs a nice bright string to bring out the best in it and so far carbons seem to be the best bet.

John

I'm using them on my Ohana SK38 soprano, they are a joy, and by far they are the only strings I've used that are 100% intonated all along the fretboard.

with Aquila New Nylgut, Super Nylgut and GHS black nylon I always have some frets out of tune, some "zones" sharper (like the 5th-7th fret zone) or high notes.

I've noticed a curious thing, however: when I play with D'Addario Carbon, the overall volume seem quieter, and the sound slightly "dry", compared to Aquilas (in particular the SN, which are mellow).
then I record it, and WOW! the uke is louder and rich sounding, with the right amount of basses, making the Super Nylgut sound too dark and the New Nylgut too sparkly and scooped on the mids.

the thing I like the most, but I understand that it's a matter of fluorocarbon vs nylon/nylgut, is that they make the strumming sound clear, allowing every string to be heard clearly.
fingerpicked are a joy of hamronics and precise intonation.

the D'Addario are also well balanced in tension, string to string (I'm using the soprano/concert set, high G, but the gauge is the same for tenor high G set), and in sound/volume.

with Aquilas I always find the C too loud and howly.

they also stay in tune better AND are easier to tune with friction tuners.

last but not least, if mounted wisely, on a soprano (with the EJ99SC set) you can make two sets. it's just important to make the knot at the bridge without wasting lenght.

Well said. I agree with every point you made.

Top Bottom