Favorites -- Do yours change?

Mivo

Reaction score
Now that I have a bunch of different ukuleles, I expected that after a while of playing all of them, favorites would emerge. Instead, I noticed that as I cycle through them, I prefer different ukes on different days.

It's not even only the ones I have played the most (that I'm used to), but it's almost like a mood thing, and somewhat inconsistent.

Do you have clear favorites or are you as fickle as me?

A lot of people are going to say yes, but my favorite over the past 2 years never changed. I only had 3 ukes, one was complete crap, one was okay and one was just superior in every way. That one stayed my favorite.

I have experienced that same thing. Most of my ukuleles are rather similar - better lower end and lower middle end, if that makes sense. I can play one and think it is the greatest thing, and the next time I pick it up, it is not the right sound.

I think environment and my own physical flexibility that day play a big part. For instance, I just picked up my office ukulele (a black walnut Zither Heaven) and it was great. The last time I played it, I could barely chord that narrow neck.

I've got a 'goto' uke, it's the one that I use to get to grips with new techniques & tunes, it's a perfect fit for me, what is it I hear you asking?

It's my Kala KA-SLNG, concert scale, soprano body. :)

Otherwise, I'll use the most suitable one for the recording.

Yes, yes and yes. Doc J and I talked about "emotional preferances". One day I might like a certain sound and another day I gravitate towards something very different. More ukes have been sold impulsively this way than common sense would dictate.

Kinda like the weather on the continental divide in the Rockies " If you don't like it just wait a while, things will change"

I have a bunch of high and low end ukes. The ones I keep out at arms reach are the ones that sound the best. I have one that I always consider my favorite, but the others all take turns.

I think it's my personal taste that changes. Sometimes a old soprano is too bright and sounds like a banjo to me. I try a couple more ukes and I might find what I'm looking for in a late model low-g concert or tenor. Then the next day the low-g concert or tenor sounds too deep and I go back to the old soprano.

I also feel that 70s rock songs sound better on the bigger/deeper ukes, to me.

But I love switching it up. Being surrounded with different ukuleles is a wonderful thing.

Yes, yes and yes. Doc J and I talked about "emotional preferances". One day I might like a certain sound and another day I gravitate towards something very different. More ukes have been sold impulsively this way than common sense would dictate.

Kinda like the weather on the continental divide in the Rockies " If you don't like it just wait a while, things will change"

Yep, what Dave said. +1

Love 'em all, but can only play one at a time. :)

I have five ukuleles. Four tenors and a Makala Waterman. The Waterman is a novelty, fun but not near a favorite. Two ukes I really don't play at all anymore, a laminate Kala and the first upgrade, a spruce top Córdoba. I have two all solid acacia ukes one a Kala 10th Anniversary model with high G, and a Córdoba with a low G. I switch back and forth between the two depending on what I am playing. I love them both. They each have their charms.

I'm loyal to my Brüko thin-bodied soprano. The others have their uses, but the Brüko is lighter, feels better to play and just sounds better, especially as it's also tuned ADF#B. It's not perfect, so it might be usurped from the top spot one day I guess but I'm not looking for another uke at the moment.

Like others I prefer different ukuleles at different times, especially different times of the year as the weather changes. Also depending on the mood I am in. I am thankful I have a choice.

But if I had to play like my life depended on it, there is only one choice and that is my first tenor. I know that ukulele like the back of my hand.

On the flip side, there is a ukulele I've had almost as long, that I have strung every which way and it sounds really good, but if I had to play that like my life depended on it I'd probably say gimme three steps...

John

Last edited:
I have three Brukos that I play regularly. One each of soprano, concert and tenor, all tuned differently. Which I play depends on the song and which sounds best for the particular song and which tuning works best for me. I probably play the tenor more than the other two. It's tuned dGBE and I think maybe it fits my voice better.

I have a Flea and a Fluke which I take to my regular folk clubs and other acoustic events. For open mics where I plug in, I take two Risas, a concert stick and a tenor Uke'Ellie. In both cases, as with the Brukos, which I use depends on the song and which works best for the particular song. That way most of my ukes get regular use.

I have a couple of cheapies which are loan ukes for my uke group and one of them lives in the car. I also have a banjo uke and a U-bass both of which I rarely play now and am thinking of selling when I finally summon up the energy and get a round tuit.

I think environment and my own physical flexibility that day play a big part. For instance, I just picked up my office ukulele (a black walnut Zither Heaven) and it was great. The last time I played it, I could barely chord that narrow neck.

Yes, isn't that weird? There are days when my normal 'favorite' just doesn't work, and I pick up another and it is magic. And then back again the next day.

Yes, my favorites have changed. First I gravitated from concerts to tenors. Then from good tenors to a couple of great ones. I still play sopranos and concerts but the tenors are favorites.

I have four now, culled down from sixteen. My favorite is the Kala solid cedar, acacia koa cutaway tenor, a very close second is the one I got directly from China, a Hanknn 2 hole acacia koa that's very light and has a slightly arched back. As nice looking as my custom made gypsy jazz Jango style is, I made a mistake choosing solid flame/curly maple for the top, it just doesn't have the projection or sustain I like. But the custom solid acacia koa black mandolele built by the same guy is a very close third. I'm hoping the tenor cutaway solid acacia koa I just won on an eBay auction by the same builder will match up to the others (it certainly is pretty).

Last edited:
There's a moment of truth on Thursday evenings before I leave for Uke Club when I choose which uke to bring. Sometimes the set list decides for me (a tin pan alley night just screams for the banjo uke). Sometimes I get in a mood that cannot deal with a uke that won't stand up on its own and that's a Fluke night.

More often, I stand in the living room and play 2 or 3 ukes to determine which is the One True Ukulele for tonight. Usually the right choice is obvious within a few strums. And I cannot explain why, only that I know it when I play it.

Occasionally there's a night I cannot decide, and I have to keep switching back and forth between ukes and my husband thinks I am insane (which is not a new observation on his part). Arguably, this type of indecision is less insane than having a ukulele speak to me and say "yes, yes my darling, it is I, the ukulele of your soul, the one you truly desire."

So yes, my favorites change rather more often than good mental health might dictate. If I had a uke that never got a turn at being my favorite, I would sell it because what's the point?

Right now I've only played my 22euro polycarbonate uke for a week straight, rather than my solid koa one...but I think thats more to do with the tuning, I tried low-g on my other uke and dont really care for it.

I usually grab my luthier made Sopranino for noodling about on, in
front of the TV for instance,my home-made reso for rock and blues
songs,and any of my others according to my mood and the 'mood' of
the song I am playing!

I still can't talk about ukuleles, because I just own two of them, and one is a 30 euros uke, the other a 200 euros one.

however, I've been a GAS Victim since 2008, and I've owned several (more than 30) basses and a bunch of guitars.

I've always noticed that the "favourite" changes over time, until you find The One.

and if you don't, you'll keep turning instruments, maybe selling them to buy others.

Top Bottom