Couldn't find a strap, so I made one.

Still Water Weapons

Reaction score
I recently received my Outdoor Ukulele and I wanted a thinner, simple strap for it. I looked at some inexpensive ones at my local stores and they were too short! I'm not large, so I don't know who these straps are for, children maybe??
So anyway I decided that I had the skills needed and came up with this. 1" wide webbing 60" long, (could have used 48"), 2 links from a chain, and some scrap leather. Held together with contact cement.
Total cost $5.35:)

strap1.jpgstrap2.jpg

nice job, thanks for sharing

Nice work :shaka:

Good looking strap!

Be careful, next thing you know you'll be getting PMs and requests and you will have worked yourself into a job. :D

Seriously - good job!

The strap I used for years was an old leather strap cut from an old
shoulder bag of my wifes! It is very thin leather,and only about an
inch wide. One end I cut a hole and slot to slip over the strap button
I fitted on the base of the instrument,the other end has a bootlace
that I fix around the head, UNDER the strings and just ABOVE the nut.

What you have made is very nice. Making a totally adjustable strap needs a 50 cent buckle from any shoe repairman or an arts and crafts store that has a center bar. One end of the strapping is sewn around the center bar ( and yes the webbing is easily sewn with a needle and thread)the end which attaches to the instrument is called a square and the leather piece is either glued or sewn to one side. the strap runs through the other side and back up to the center bar buckle ... under the side of it...over the center and back out the other side to whatever length you want it to be. If you want to use a shoes tring tied to the headstock just fold over the strap material and sew a loop so the shoestring can go through it. If you want it to fit over a tuner button or button at the front of the body, sew on the same looking piece of leather as attached to the tail end. Is leather hard to piece with a needle? You Betcha!! I use a #70 drill bit in my Dremel (about the same thickness as a paper clip..and there should be no more than 6 across an inch wide strap) or a thumbtack pushed through it to make the pilot holes. I buy webbing for $14.00 a roll with 100 feet to the roll in 16 different colours. Shipping costs more than the strap.

It's sort of like that, there is the "buckle" with the center bar and the opposite end is connected to the center bar, after locating it on the main section of the strap. The opposite end is the same as the pictures above. I had 2 buttons installed. I prefer the 2 buttons over tieing the other end to the head stock or whatever.

I copied one of my Sherrins Threads straps for the design. Love her straps but just wanted something simple.

I've been looking for a web strap for my Pono which has two strap buttons. I've found one on Amazon which is very much like yours, but with the addition of a positionable shoulder pad: http://tinyurl.com/gr4po5o . My only concern is that the leather ends are too short and may not provide sufficient protection to the uke's finish.

If you want to go for a half inch wide strap, you can look at Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap – 2 button. I also make the leather parts available if you want to make your own.
–Lori

My goto strap anymore is just braided paracord tied around the headstock with a small loop attached to the bottom strap button. Its small, light, cheap, and plenty strong.

Top Bottom