PDA

View Full Version : FS: Moore Bettah Tenor Ukulele #1316 - Alphonse Mucha inspired inlay

linenoise
04-04-2016, 11:25 AM
SOLD PENDING FUNDS

For Sale: Moore Bettah Tenor Ukulele #1316

Built in mid-2013
Size: Tenor with Side Sound Port
Wood: 5A Fiddleback Koa
Pickup: Misi
Tuners: Pegheds 1:4
Condition: Excellent played condition with case. [deleted mention of slight strum marks - I cleaned it off and there are no marks]

The inlay is inspired by Alphonse Mucha’s “Dance” and is comprised of chrysacola, amboyna burl and scrimshawed mastodon ivory. The detail is breathtaking and the execution is 100% perfection.

This ukulele is pictured in Staci Blevin’s recently released book “Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles”. I will include my personal copy that is signed by Chuck Moore with the sale.

Why I am selling and the price: Without getting into too much detail, this was purchased as a gift for a relationship that has come to an end. As this ukulele had immense sentimental value to me, I went through great pain and expense to retain it during the divorce. Time has passed and I find myself feeling guilty that it is no longer being played - it belongs in the hands of someone who would not only appreciate its beauty but will actively play it.

I’ve had a hard time coming up with the price. There is the price that I originally paid for it, plus the value of the items that I gave up to keep it. There is the rising market price of Chuck’s work coupled with the sheer difficulty to find a Moore Bettah on the market, especially one with extensive inlay work.

I am going to price it at $8750 shipped, which, crazy as it sounds, is at a net loss to me and probably below market value. I understand that some may take offense at the price, but given the total picture I feel that is fair. I accept payment via Paypal, wire, or bank cashier’s check and will ship it carefully packed and insured for the value. I am also willing to accept cash in-person (Austin, TX) and avoid the shipping.

I have added a link at the bottom to an album with lots of pictures, both of the finished uke and from the build. If you would like any more detailed photos, please contact me directly.

Pictures of the finished ukulele:

http://i.imgur.com/yds4ONp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2wQBLbN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8qqSbpw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qkwFGfC.jpg

Album of the build process and more finished pics (http://imgur.com/a/8gF5Q)

Stevelele
04-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Best of luck to you. I'm sorry to hear about your divorce and hope everything is ok. All the best

Jim Hanks
04-04-2016, 11:45 AM
First post after 4.5 years? Hmm. OK. Anyone who's been around UU that long should know that it is customary to include a picture with your name, today's date, and the uke. Video sound sample would be appreciated as well. I'm not in the market for any MB uke, but I can imagine that anyone who is would be highly skeptical thus far. If I'm jumping to conclusions, my apologies.

linenoise
04-04-2016, 11:49 AM
First post after 4.5 years? Hmm. OK. Anyone who's been around UU that long should know that it is customary to include a picture with your name, today's date, and the uke. Video sound sample would be appreciated as well. I'm not in the market for any MB uke, but I can imagine that anyone who is would be highly skeptical thus far. If I'm jumping to conclusions, my apologies.

That is totally fair. I signed up a long time ago to mostly get an understanding of who made what so I could find a builder for the uke. I understand how the lack of posts could lead to suspicion. I'll post a picture with today's date, my handle and the uke later on tonight when I get home from work. I'll also tune up the uke and post a video of me strumming the 2 chords I know.

sam13
04-04-2016, 12:01 PM
That is totally fair. I signed up a long time ago to mostly get an understanding of who made what so I could find a builder for the uke. I understand how the lack of posts could lead to suspicion. I'll post a picture with today's date, my handle and the uke later on tonight when I get home from work. I'll also tune up the uke and post a video of me strumming the 2 chords I know.

All of us really want the best outcome, thanks for your understanding and best of luck with the sale of your MB. it is beautiful.

dkcrown
04-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Best of luck with the sale, linenoise. As someone that has gone through a difficult divorce, I get it. As a matter of fact, my ability to get though my divorce ended up being my "theme" for the uke that I had Chuck build for me.

The price that you are asking is your business alone, and nobody else but you can truly understand the total costs associated with that uke through divorce. And I for one think that it is totally fair, and it will certainly sell at that price. And someone will be very, very happy with their new MB. And you will be able to move on with your life. :)

Steveperrywriter
04-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Hate to hear a story like this, I can feel the pain under it. Sometimes when we move on, we have to leave stuff behind. Best of luck to you. I hope it will help knowing someone will surely appreciate this instrument.

mm stan
04-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Oh my its a beautiful Mb, one of the best ones with mastadon ivory..a show uke catagory for sure, so sorry to hear of your break up, i wish the best for the both of you... was this her ukulele? Dang

linenoise
04-04-2016, 05:15 PM
As requested, here is a photo of the ukulele with my name and today's date as well as a video to try and capture the sound. Please forgive my inability to play more than 2 chords.

http://i.imgur.com/j9fbg09.jpg

https://youtu.be/fEBTnH6tXMc

linenoise
04-04-2016, 05:30 PM
At the request of one of the interested parties, I took more pictures of the uke. I'm happy to say that the "strum marks" that I previously mentioned are not there. The uke looks brand new though probably could use a quick wipe with a polishing cloth

Link to Album with new pictures (http://imgur.com/a/zkkfS)

Tigeralum2001
04-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Provenance proven, thanks! What a rare uke, good luck with the sale! This is a dream uke, for sure!

wickedwahine11
04-04-2016, 06:30 PM
This one is a beauty. One of my favorites. If I didn't already have mine, I would have moved heaven and earth to have been all over this. Someone will be very happy to get it.

Jim Hanks
04-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Here's a thought. If it doesn't get snapped up soon, you could approach Andrew at HMS about auctioning the uke. The last couple seem to have gone well and if you put a reserve price on it, I don't see how you could lose. Good luck.

Still Water Weapons
04-04-2016, 07:16 PM
That's an excellent idea Jim. I would even bet that Andrew could have Chuck give it a "once over" just to certify that it is 100%. I would imagine that would be worth something to a prospective bidder. Not that I know much about those ukes, just my .02:)

It is a beautiful uke, I wish I had the means to buy such a work of art. Best of luck on the sale!

mm stan
04-04-2016, 07:53 PM
This one is a beauty. One of my favorites. If I didn't already have mine, I would have moved heaven and earth to have been all over this. Someone will be very happy to get it.

Youre right staci, me too... i have a feeling i know who gonna get this ...you know her ;)

Jayfuzi
04-05-2016, 03:39 AM
Beautiful MB! Good luck with the sale!

langleypual
04-05-2016, 03:44 AM
Very tempted, and only 150 miles away! Got to go count my change and see how much I have.

stevejfc
04-05-2016, 03:50 AM
An absolutely stunning instrument. I believe the price is more than fair, particularly for an MBU. I'm sorry for the circumstances that force this sale...... but sometimes letting go can be the best healer. Best to you, and good luck with the sale.

sukie
04-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Youre right staci, me too... i have a feeling i know who gonna get this ...you know her ;)

No, MM. I'm not in the market.

NatalieS
04-05-2016, 08:04 AM
It really is a stunning ukulele. This was one of the first MBs I ever saw, and I was in awe of the blue shades created by the different stone types in the inlay. I'm very sorry for the circumstances under which you are selling it. I'm sure it will sell pretty quickly. Best wishes. :)

LarryS
04-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Looks stunning but way too much money for a uke! And it uses ivory, in 2013!

uuuuu
04-05-2016, 08:24 AM
exquisite style and finishing, beyond my pay grade but completely superb, I do know that Chuck is quite ethical in regards to sourcing materials and I'll point out this is mastadon or fossil ivory and not anything from a modern elephant species

kkimura
04-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Looks stunning but way too much money for a uke! And it uses ivory, in 2013!

Isn't "mastodon ivory" okay to use?

hawaii 50
04-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Isn't "mastodon ivory" okay to use?

you are right there is a difference...right now Mastodon Ivory is legal.....
Chuck goes way out of his way to follow all the rules he is very serious about this....

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-05-2016, 10:10 AM
I have only ever used "fossil" mastodon ivory in my inlays. These are from long-extinct animals that have been dead for anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 years. Many of these artifacts have been found in the form of tools; ice axes, adzes, sled runners, fire bowls, etc. As important to early man as the computer is to us today. Fossil ivories have been legal everywhere until the last couple of years where New Jersey, New York and California have banned their sale. This is only because the feds are too understaffed to educate themselves to tell the difference between ivories which is really quite simple to do and can not be faked as each specie of ivory has distinct and different grain patterns. Hawaii has proposed a similar ban but it has not been passed yet. I have always endorsed the banning of elephant ivories as well as whale teeth and rhino horn but a law that bans fossils is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Currently the bans in these states are being challenged with the focus being aimed at educating and staffing the Dept of Fish and Wildlife to such an extent where they can identify fossil ivories from other types.

To LarryS, I hope I've educated you as well.

brimmer
04-05-2016, 11:43 AM
So we have confirmed that no mastodons were harmed in the manufacture of this ukulele.

Lovely uke, and it was built by the best of the best. Good luck with the sale!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-05-2016, 12:14 PM
So we have confirmed that no mastodons were harmed in the manufacture of this ukulele.

On the contrary. I believe that I alone am responsible to the extinction of this wooly beast. If it weren't for me McDonalds would be selling McMastodon burgers today. ;)

NatalieS
04-05-2016, 12:20 PM
I have only ever used "fossil" mastodon ivory in my inlays. These are from long-extinct animals that have been dead for anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 years. Many of these artifacts have been found in the form of tools; ice axes, adzes, sled runners, fire bowls, etc. As important to early man as the computer is to us today. Fossil ivories have been legal everywhere until the last couple of years where New Jersey, New York and California have banned their sale. This is only because the feds are too understaffed to educate themselves to tell the difference between ivories which is really quite simple to do and can not be faked as each specie of ivory has distinct and different grain patterns. Hawaii has proposed a similar ban but it has not been passed yet. I have always endorsed the banning of elephant ivories as well as whale teeth and rhino horn but a law that bans fossils is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Currently the bans in these states are being challenged with the focus being aimed at educating and staffing the Dept of Fish and Wildlife to such an extent where they can identify fossil ivories from other types.

To LarryS, I hope I've educated you as well.

This information is fascinating-- thank you for educating all of us, Chuck. I have always considered you to be among the most environmentally and ethically conscious of instrument builders. Your knowledge of this subject just enforces this belief. :-)

Stevelele
04-05-2016, 12:21 PM
new inlay idea: headstock with the mcdonald's arch, and chuck killing a dead mastodon with a spear. And OP, if you're worried about the fact that this thread is getting highjacked, don't worry about it, the uke will sell itself!

On the contrary. I believe that I alone am responsible to the extinction of this wooly beast. If it weren't for me McDonalds would be selling McMastodon burgers today. ;)

hmgberg
04-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Holy Mastodon! What a stunning instrument!

To the seller: Sorry for your troubles. I hope things get better for you soon. Good luck with the sale.

Telperion
04-05-2016, 12:36 PM
If it weren't for me McDonalds would be selling McMastodon burgers today. ;)

Personally, I would like to see them press the processed mastodon meat into the shape of a rack of ribs - The Mammoth McRib

And then, there's this article that came out....well...five years ago. They should be close!

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-01/japanese-researchers-plan-resurrect-woolly-mammoth-within-five-years

-Steve

Django
04-05-2016, 12:58 PM
There are worse things than being stuck with one of the finest Ukuleles ever built, (I doubt that it will be for sale long). You already know 2 chords, add another and your playing. Just a thought. You'll probably never be in this position again. You have an enviable choice to make, but I assume that you have already made your decision. Good luck

brimmer
04-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Then the mastodons should be grateful that Chuck Moore saved them from the humiliating fate of ending up as McMastodons.

...and now back to our program, already in progress...the sale of this marvellous instrument. It has to be the loveliest uke I have ever seen. Good luck to the seller!

coolkayaker1
04-05-2016, 04:42 PM
May you once again fall hopelessly in love, Linenoise, with a girl as beautiful as the dread-locked mermaid on your stunning ukulele.

experimentjon
04-05-2016, 05:17 PM
[b]
Album of the build process and more finished pics (http://imgur.com/a/8gF5Q)

Those WIP pictures are awesome. Best of luck with the sale of this beautiful instrument! Definitely some talented use of mammoth ivory.

LittleCeci
04-05-2016, 11:15 PM
That is so sad. Hope somebody could take good care of this beautiful MBU.

bigphil
04-06-2016, 03:10 AM

So I guess McMastodon burgers are out for lunch on Tuesday then eh Chuck? :)

coolkayaker1
04-06-2016, 05:22 AM
So I guess McMastodon burgers are out for lunch on Tuesday then eh Chuck? :)

But, thankfully, you can still score a McRib, a Coke, and a taro pie dessert...all things any hungry mastodon would give his right tusk for.

;)

hollisdwyer
04-07-2016, 05:49 AM
Considering recent MB auction prices at HMS and the quality of this particular instrument, I think it's very fairly priced. If I had the readies I'd certainly buy it. Good luck with the sale and sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been there too and it's a bummer.

Redariel
04-07-2016, 06:11 PM
I'm blown away to see this come up. �� It's beautiful, and yes, divorce sucks. It's way out of my league, but what an amazing instrument it is. ������

ksiegel
04-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Hollisdwyer said:
Considering recent MB auction prices at HMS and the quality of this particular instrument, I think it's very fairly priced.

So if you can't sell the instrument here, contact Andrew, and see if he'd be interested in setting up an auction at HMS.

For such a lovely instrument, it might very well be worth doing - and even if you have to send it to him, he is an Honorable person,and will treat both the MB, and you, with respect and dignity.

-Kurt

guitharsis
04-08-2016, 12:36 AM
The Muse of Dance is called Terpsichore. The internet has some interesting stories about the muses and Terpsichore. Apart from the price and build standard, the idea of a ukulele with Terpsichore set into the headstock is an amazing musical/dance concept which borders into the world of fine art. Which possibly sets it apart from your run of the mill custom uke. Some one who has a strong interest in dance and music really needs to get hold of this uke, despite the purchase price, not just a collector looking to fill a space on a shelf.

Interesting info. It is gorgeous and a piece of fine art anyone would be proud to own and play.

chicago911
04-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Maybe you can auction it sell 100 tickets for $100. I could buy an auction ticket for $100. I wish I could afford this. It is really gorgeous.

Uke man
04-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Sounds good, maybe even 200 tickets for $50. Each. Then that would include shipping and paypal fees.

saltytri
04-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Maybe you can auction it sell 100 tickets for $100. I could buy an auction ticket for $100. I wish I could afford this. It is really gorgeous.

Best not to go there. Online auctions are OK. Online raffles are considered to be illegal gambling in most states.

mmfitzsimons
04-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Looks stunning but way too much money for a uke!

What's a diamond but a bunch of carbon that got smashed together under one of Chuck's dead mastodons? The only difference between gold and lead is people like the way light bounces off of gold better. And gold is somewhat rare, of course. But gold is still gold—at the end of the day, one chunk is the same as another. Take another look at that uke. There's only one of those anywhere on the planet. That's not just an uke; that's art.

Czechmate01
04-09-2016, 01:34 AM
Stunning I'm guessing it will be snatched up soon.

mm stan
04-09-2016, 01:59 AM
Perhaps 20 percent of auction charges off here would work for both parties.. rounded off to 7000

bearbike137
04-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Isn't this supposed to be a "For Sale" thread...?

anthonyg
04-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Where are all the people wanting to buy Moore Bettah's.

This is turning into a saga.

Anthony

hollisdwyer
04-11-2016, 06:41 AM
Considering the results of the last two HMS MB auctions I am amazed that this beautiful instrument is not already in someone else's hands.

bearbike137
04-11-2016, 07:10 AM
Considering the results of the last two HMS MB auctions I am amazed that this beautiful instrument is not already in someone else's hands.

I don't know if this anything to do with it, but those auctions had a very professional sound clip of the instruments. That helps a lot for fingerstyle players like me. I can't even contemplate putting out that kind of crazy money without knowing exactly how the instrument sounds.

cml
04-11-2016, 07:35 AM
**Deleted**

Patrick Madsen
04-11-2016, 08:32 AM
I had no idea who Chuck Moore was when I ordered my MB. His profile fit what I was looking for to build my commemoration uke for a life well lived and he agreed to build it. I bought because of the sound and his personal attitude towards life. Bling and collectability never came to mind.

I'm sure there are those who buy a MB for collectability but I feel more buy because of playability and Chucks wonderful spirit.

CiceroAnon
04-13-2016, 12:28 PM
Is this sold yet? I thought for sure this would be gone by now.

linenoise
04-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Is this sold yet? I thought for sure this would be gone by now.

There has been a lot of interest but no buyer yet.

linenoise
04-17-2016, 03:22 PM
The ukulele is now SOLD (Pending Funds). Thanks to everyone for your kind words and your interest

mm stan
04-18-2016, 03:23 AM
congrats to you and the new owner..

Uke man
04-19-2016, 05:40 AM
I'm glad for you the new conservator and me for not having to dream about it.

pyrogerg
04-19-2016, 11:32 AM
It's up for auction at Hawaii Music Supply now (http://www.theukulelesite.com/auction-moore-bettah-custom-koa-mermaid-tenor-1612.html). Best part is, there are two good sound clips. Sigh.

heyyoutoo
04-19-2016, 11:38 AM
It's up for auction at Hawaii Music Supply now (http://www.theukulelesite.com/auction-moore-bettah-custom-koa-mermaid-tenor-1612.html). Best part is, there are two good sound clips. Sigh.

I think you may be mistaken. Your link is to a Mermaid MB; different from the Dancer in this thread.

pyrogerg
04-19-2016, 01:41 PM
I think you may be mistaken. Your link is to a Mermaid MB; different from the Dancer in this thread.

Yep, I sure was mistaken. Thanks for the correction.

CiceroAnon
04-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Congrats on the sale. Hopefully whoever bought it will play it.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Congrats on the sale. Hopefully whoever bought it will play it.

I know who bought it and I guarantee you it will be played and cherished. makes me happy when one of my babies finds a good home. (I couldn't think of a better one.)

hawaii 50
04-22-2016, 06:19 PM
I know who bought it and I guarantee you it will be played and cherished. makes me happy when one of my babies finds a good home. (I couldn't think of a better one.)

Congrats to the new Moore Bettah owner and you too Chuck.....I am also happy when someone gets one of your ukes....I am lucky to play many of them and know the new owners will love them too.....:)